Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Have you ever checked your TDS levels at the tap with a cheap meter? Mine is averaging around 800 ppm/liter. That's nothing to brag about.

Anyone else check their TDS levels (the amount of salts in the water.)?

I live in North Phoenix and for the last 3 years measured TDS levels around 450. My Osmosis system knocks it down in the 30s.

Today my tap water TDS was 810 and Osmosis was 80. I see the 2015 Phoenix water quality report says TDS can range up to 900. I was wondering if other Phoenix water users see wide variations in their TDS readings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 07:41 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,045,998 times
Don, I checked mine this AM and it was 763 (way up from the 300s just a few weeks ago.) They've obviously switched water sources to make this big a change. I'd like to get to the bottom of what the water department is doing instead of just guessing, since I'm paying for it.

FYI. Last summer it got in the ridiculous range low 900s.

Last edited by DougStark; 04-09-2016 at 08:02 AM..

Old 04-09-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusland View Post
Fluoride has no benefit when ingested. In toothpaste, yes, but when ingested, it is not metabolized in any way that provides benefit to bones/teeth.

Fluoride toothpaste yes, fluoridated water, waste of money.
cactus, can you provide a source for your claims that fluoride doesn't benefit bones?
I have a credible source that says it does: Water fluoridation and osteoporotic fracture. - PubMed - NCBI

The tap water we receive only has 1ppm fluoride, a very low level that is recommended by the medical community. Bottom line, more fluoride is not better. A tiny amount (1 ppm) is good.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:04 AM

Best, you can buy cheapo R/O units without a holding tank for about $80 bucks on ebay.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:10 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Zapp View Post
I live in North Phoenix and for the last 3 years measured TDS levels around 450. My Osmosis system knocks it down in the 30s.

Today my tap water TDS was 810 and Osmosis was 80. I see the 2015 Phoenix water quality report says TDS can range up to 900. I was wondering if other Phoenix water users see wide variations in their TDS readings?
I got 596 just a few minutes ago - that's as high as I've seen so far, but I don't check it that often. I'm at 20th st & Union hills.. I know they change sources throughout the year & the color & stank can vary pretty wildly when they do.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:15 AM

13,252 posts, read 7,304,105 times
My TDS is around 680 most of the time I built an RO 4"x 40" with a di for car washing takes my TDS to zero won't leave any water spots even in hot summer sun. I can just let it dry in the sun nothing is left behind. For drinking best systems are 5 stages removes all the bad chemicals then adds some minerals back. Also adding a pump will make your RO last longer and work better. Never liked Salt systems your just exchanging TDS for salt.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:21 AM

kell, from what I've read, the RO units with an electric booster pump produce more water (and waste less water at the same time.) However, you're more likely to have scaling problems on your RO membrane with the booster powered RO units UNLESS you pre-treat the source water with a salt-based water softener (something I don't want to do.)

So, while my non-boost RO does waste water, I have it located outside in a cabinet. The waste water flows on my patio pavers and waters my shade tree, so I consider it a "win-win".

The DI filters are great add-ons for an RO system for car washing, but the DI media is pricey. I've never bought a DI.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:15 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
kell, from what I've read, the RO units with an electric booster pump produce more water (and waste less water at the same time.) However, you're more likely to have scaling problems on your RO membrane with the booster powered RO units UNLESS you pre-treat the source water with a salt-based water softener (something I don't want to do.)

So, while my non-boost RO does waste water, I have it located outside in a cabinet. The waste water flows on my patio pavers and waters my shade tree, so I consider it a "win-win".

The DI filters are great add-ons for an RO system for car washing, but the DI media is pricey. I've never bought a DI.
My RO has a booster pump (Watts zero-waste), and it's been running the same membrane since 2009. I had a softener until about 2011 & when it sprung a leak, I tossed it.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:58 PM

right on, zippy. I might check out buying a watts booster pump. I recently bought a much larger storage tank, so I have no shortage of RO water at the moment from my single membrane unit.

I learned somewhere that if you use a too restrictive flow control, your membrane will be more likely to scale up due to the hard minerals in our water. Another thing I learned is that the more you use your RO, the better it is for the membrane (keeps bacteria from growing on it.)

Does anyone know if they treat recycled water (in the purple pipes) with R/O equipment before they distribute it for landscape use? I doubt it, but not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: