Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 01:48 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,309,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
I had a roommate years ago whose dad was an HVAC instructor at a trade school and he said it was better to leave it set at a constant temperature all day rather than make it work extra hard to cool down a hot house. Just as it's easier to let a car drive a constant speed than it is to stop and go, stop and go, stop and go. But the SRP easy 3 plan and others seem to fly in the face of this idea.

I do know that it depends a LOT on how much square footage you're cooling versus what ton unit(s) you have. In *many* houses, if you let that house get up to 88 degrees and it's 115 outside...it will literally take hours for the unit(s) to cool the house back down below 80. This is because, understandably, both homeowners and landlords tend to just purchase "enough" HVAC power for the house they have, which means in our extreme summer heat, a lot of people have their HVAC units running for many hours out of the day...you don't see too many people paying extra to install a larger HVAC unit that is rated for a much larger space than they have.

According to my Netatmo, my home AC has kicked on 11 times since midnight, for about 15 or 20 minutes each time it looks like. It cools the home about a degree to a degree and a half and it kicks off. So I've already run my AC for about four hours total today. It drives me nuts because during fall/spring it may only have to kick on a few times a day. But when it's so hot out, it seems like it's always coming on again. I wonder if it would be any different to set wider intervals and have it run for longer periods, less times a day...I guess it probably doesn't matter if the total time running is the same.

Was this an HVAC guy here or someplace else in the country?

My neighbor was an HVAC guy back in the Midwest, and he said the same thing which made perfect sense there with high humidity. He ran his AC every day whether it was 100 or 65 degrees for that reason; it was more efficient to just keep it the same all the time.

But here, those I have spoken to agree it seems to make more sense to actively cool the house during the non-daylight hours (also lower electric rate plan times, usually) and back it off during the day. Anyone else hear that?

Old 08-20-2015, 02:00 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,369,619 times
That's a good point, I hadn't thought about the humidity aspect of it. It was in California (Riverside), but I do wonder if it might be easier to cool down air that wasn't carrying too much moisture in it. Of course, during monsoon season, it's fairly humid inside my house since that moist air cools down inside and ends up with a 50-55% humidity most of the time. I just checked and I am running at 55% humidity inside at 76 degrees, for a 58 dewpoint, and outside ride now is 101 degrees and 31%, for a 65 dewpoint. So it's a little drier inside but not a whole lot.

Edit: Does anyone here use humidifiers or dehumidifiers? I know in other climates, both can be common depending on the season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 03:08 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,309,921 times
Quote:
That's a good point, I hadn't thought about the humidity aspect of it. It was in California (Riverside), but I do wonder if it might be easier to cool down air that wasn't carrying too much moisture in it. Of course, during monsoon season, it's fairly humid inside my house since that moist air cools down inside and ends up with a 50-55% humidity most of the time. I just checked and I am running at 55% humidity inside at 76 degrees, for a 58 dewpoint, and outside ride now is 101 degrees and 31%, for a 65 dewpoint. So it's a little drier inside but not a whole lot.

Edit: Does anyone here use humidifiers or dehumidifiers? I know in other climates, both can be common depending on the season.

I run a small vaporizer in my bedroom, but not in the whole house.

Back where I used to live, you needed the AC most of the time during the summer because the humidity was so bad everything would literally feel just wet. Carpet, etc. And any papers you had laying around would be damp and limp. Trying to sleep was impossible. It could get pretty gross. So, turning the AC off there and back on like we do here would run the crap out of your system for sure.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:00 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,236,440 times
Quote:
I had a roommate years ago whose dad was an HVAC instructor at a trade school and he said it was better to leave it set at a constant temperature all day rather than make it work extra hard to cool down a hot house. Just as it's easier to let a car drive a constant speed than it is to stop and go, stop and go, stop and go. But the SRP easy 3 plan and others seem to fly in the face of this idea.

I do know that it depends a LOT on how much square footage you're cooling versus what ton unit(s) you have. In *many* houses, if you let that house get up to 88 degrees and it's 115 outside...it will literally take hours for the unit(s) to cool the house back down below 80. This is because, understandably, both homeowners and landlords tend to just purchase "enough" HVAC power for the house they have, which means in our extreme summer heat, a lot of people have their HVAC units running for many hours out of the day...you don't see too many people paying extra to install a larger HVAC unit that is rated for a much larger space than they have.

According to my Netatmo, my home AC has kicked on 11 times since midnight, for about 15 or 20 minutes each time it looks like. It cools the home about a degree to a degree and a half and it kicks off. So I've already run my AC for about four hours total today. It drives me nuts because during fall/spring it may only have to kick on a few times a day. But when it's so hot out, it seems like it's always coming on again. I wonder if it would be any different to set wider intervals and have it run for longer periods, less times a day...I guess it probably doesn't matter if the total time running is the same.
Turning it up during the day isn't to make it easier or harder on the unit. It is simply due to the cost of electricity being so much higher during the day. It would cost a fortune if I tried to cool my house to my nighttime temp of 76 during the day.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:13 PM

34 posts, read 49,766 times
We are on APS combined advantage. My August bill was $225. We have a pool, sunscreens, and 4 bedrooms. We keep it freezer temps during off-peak.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:24 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,972,693 times
$65-171 with 171 being last month. I use SRP I have a 2be2ba of decent construction. I do the peak hours plan so I don't run my AC or really do anything at all from 3-6 during the week.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:02 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,479,954 times
Quote:
I use a cool mist vaporizer under my grand piano so it doesn't turn into a untunable/unplayable piano shaped object. Mostly I have to run it during the drier months. I don't run it often in the summer as even with the A/C on, the humidity stays up around 35-40% in our house for the most part.

As for running a dehumidifier, I think the valley is pretty much one big natural dehumidifier for most of the year.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:09 PM

498 posts, read 544,116 times
Mine was 36 bucks in July.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:28 PM

127 posts, read 195,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Sconce View Post
Mine was 36 bucks in July.
lucky you! let me guess... solar?

Old 08-20-2015, 11:47 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,161,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disabledveteran1 View Post
Hello,

I've moved to Maricopa city about 6 months ago and the only reason I decided to rent here was because I ran out of time and I needed a house right away. Well I've been here several months and I completely regret it. I wish I would have looked in Queen creek or east Mesa. Anyways, my monthly electric bills have been really high and I'm not sure if this is the average. Last month's bill was $578 for a single story 2000 sqft house built in 2005, well insulated. I keep my thermostat at 79 during the day and 77 at night. I keep all doors closed to conserve AC and no matter what I do, my electric bill stays in the high $500s. I've been all over the U.S. and overseas and I can tell you I have never paid this much for electricity, so I ask: Is it like this everywhere or is it just Maricopa?

Tell me what your electric bill is like?
That's too much. I'm in Maricopa too and I have a 2 story 3400sf house with 2 units that we keep set to 78 degrees and my last bill was around 400 dollars. You need to look into why yours is so high. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area