Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 11:02 PM

309 posts, read 367,502 times

Advertisements

I discovered him today after digging to get ready to plant. He is not welcome... but I don't know how to get rid of him... help! Is there any agency or whatever that likes to rescue these guys? I only have a tiny bit of space in my backyard... it is not going to work out between me and him... the creep factor is too high.

The picture is not too good but you can see his head in the middle with one eye showing.
Attached Thumbnails
Mr Toad-downsized_0827151021.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 11:14 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
I can understand a fear of snakes ..... but toads are harmless and, like rabbits and squirrels, can usually coexist in settled suburbs without disturbing anything, or upsetting anybody. I see them in the small eastern town where I live on a regular basis. Give him a day or two and he'll likely be somewhere else.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:24 PM

309 posts, read 367,502 times
Isn't it still a reptile? and I think he's the kind with poisonous skin... still, I don't want him hanging out for the whole winter back there. He is directly under the spot I was trying to plant something today, and I can't keep the plants alive much longer before putting in the ground.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 08-27-2015, 11:30 PM

720 posts, read 734,970 times
I'll send you my son he'll pick it up he loves these little harmless things.. I wouldn't kill him - he keeps all your flies and bugs at bay - if you can take your glove and attempt to relocate him I'm sure he'll just run away -

Old 08-28-2015, 12:08 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,472,346 times
I guessing it's probably a Sonoran Desert Toad:

Sonoran Desert Toad (Incilius alvarius) - Amphibians of Arizona

They have their place in the balance of nature. They are very good at controlling insects and such.

But.....if you see one, as this article states, be very, very careful with pets/dogs around them as they can kill a dog with their skin toxins if a dog licks them in fairly short order. We knew a neighbor who lost their large dog to one. They came home and discovered the dog licking the toad/playing with it in their backyard. The dog died before they could get it to the vet.

What I've read is if you see your dog licking one is to flush out the dogs mouth with water ASAP. We had another neighbor who did this after they found their dog licking this toad and the dog survived.

Here's an article on this specific topic:

Toad Safe Information

Old 08-28-2015, 05:07 AM

24,305 posts, read 13,149,631 times
I have had what amount to a toad apocalypse here this summer... loads of toads. I also have had a relatively bug-free summer. At night they are all over, happily gobbling up moths, flies, june bugs, etc. But SteveK64 is right, dogs should be kept away from them. The first time one of my dogs tried a toad she rolled around in the dirt and foamed at the mouth and never did it again, learned her lesson.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:41 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,237,876 times
You want him moved. Easy. Pick him up and move him. I played with toads lots as a kid. Just wash your hands later.

I'm not going to tell you not to kill him. But he is probably beneficial in that they will eat insects and other small critters.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:08 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,745,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go09 View Post
Isn't it still a reptile? and I think he's the kind with poisonous skin... still, I don't want him hanging out for the whole winter back there. He is directly under the spot I was trying to plant something today, and I can't keep the plants alive much longer before putting in the ground.

Thanks for the reply!
A toad is an amphibian, not a reptile.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:24 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,958,253 times
They usually stay down there til it rains. Not a big deal to relocate it. They are beneficial and harmless.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:37 AM

129 posts, read 187,240 times
Plz don't kill him!
He wont hurt you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area