Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 07:21 AM

586 posts, read 542,189 times

Advertisements

You can buy this product in many stores in Canada. It is very good licorice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Then mail order some of this crack Wiley Wallaby - Kenny's Candy It's a MN company and their licorice is to DIE for! I'm taking out of the park goodness. Get some red licorice too (that's my addiction). I've never ever experienced any licorice like this before. 30 times better than nibs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 09:28 AM

323 posts, read 346,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Whats worse is that they whine the pool isnt warm enough (who swims when its in the 70s anyway?!?!)
I can actually answer this!

The summers up north are generally mild and in the mid-high 70s. A heatwave may bring temps to the mid-high 80s, but it's usually somewhere in the 70s.

Many (and I mean MANY) people up north have pools - both above ground (which is really popular) or in ground liner pools. As soon as Memorial Day comes around, they open their pools and use them. Most people do not heat their pools. They have adapted to the water being around 70 degrees and see ok with them.

When we lived there, our home came with an above ground pool. We had no trees in our backyard and even with direct sunlight on it during the warmest days, it never got above 72. We tried to use it a couple of times, but we just couldn't do it. BUT northerners are different. They can and do use them without complaint.

Sooooo....while it totally wigs a lot of us out that ppl would swim in 70 degree temps, it's normal for northern folks - that's summer weather for them.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:04 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,305,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHeather View Post

The summers up north are generally mild and in the mid-high 70s. A heatwave may bring temps to the mid-high 80s, but it's usually somewhere in the 70s.

Many (and I mean MANY) people up north have pools - both above ground (which is really popular) or in ground liner pools. As soon as Memorial Day comes around, they open their pools and use them. Most people do not heat their pools. They have adapted to the water being around 70 degrees and see ok with them.

When we lived there, our home came with an above ground pool. We had no trees in our backyard and even with direct sunlight on it during the warmest days, it never got above 72. We tried to use it a couple of times, but we just couldn't do it. BUT northerners are different. They can and do use them without complaint.

Sooooo....while it totally wigs a lot of us out that ppl would swim in 70 degree temps, it's normal for northern folks - that's summer weather for them.
Swimming up north (as in Midwest, etc) in the summer when it is 70s and humid is one thing. 70 degrees HERE this time of year is not the same. The dry air makes it feel much cooler. Even with a heated pool, you're going to be chilly getting out!

Old 11-11-2015, 10:49 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,973,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHeather View Post

I am an ex-northerner myself, so I can sympathize. Our pool was heated and in-ground, so we would swim all the way up til October some years. Here they obviously dont heat the pool in summer and the water routinely gets to 95-degrees, which isnt refreshing in the slightest bit. Once November hits, they heat the pool, but still! When its in the 70s, getting out of the pool feels like its freezing out.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:57 AM

323 posts, read 346,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I am an ex-northerner myself, so I can sympathize. Our pool was heated and in-ground, so we would swim all the way up til October some years. Here they obviously dont heat the pool in summer and the water routinely gets to 95-degrees, which isnt refreshing in the slightest bit. Once November hits, they heat the pool, but still! When its in the 70s, getting out of the pool feels like its freezing out.
Haha very true! I just couldn't deal with the whole
1. Getting in water that was so cold
2. Getting out of the water into air that was only 70 degree

We had neighbors who heated their inground pool for 1 year. They were in the pool all the time, but then said the cost was just too high so they didn't heat it again this past summer. There was a lot of walking around cleaning the pool, but not a lot of using it. Summer was extra mild this year (64 degrees in late July!) so only the brave went in the water. haha

Here, I think you want to be in the pool in the summer. It's like Texas except a bit warmer (ok a lot, but I love it). We were always in the water when we lived in Texas. From May til first part of October. Sometimes after October...really depended on the overall weather since we didn't really have seasons.

I couldn't imagine going in the pool right now though. I know it's in the 70s, but holy cow, I want a hoodie when I'm going outside. haha

Old 11-28-2015, 12:55 PM

7,828 posts, read 4,574,879 times
New Times chimes in:
10 Worst Things About Snowbirds | Phoenix New Times

Hee-larious... Can't wait for them to run this as a series. Next up, hipsters, soccer moms and J-School grads.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:52 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,617,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
New Times chimes in:

Hee-larious... Can't wait for them to run this as a series. Next up, hipsters, soccer moms and J-School grads.
Bee-yoo-tee-ful! The person who wrote that exposé must be a born & bred Arizonan!

Old 11-28-2015, 02:17 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,969,557 times
Quote:
New Times chimes in:

All too relatable

Old 11-29-2015, 11:26 AM

9,770 posts, read 11,180,834 times
Quote:
New Times chimes in:

Yawn.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:49 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,973,982 times
I made the mistake of going hiking on Black Friday. The PHX Mts were packed. And by packed I mean cars were parked up and down 40th St, too. It was ridiculous. MN, Alberta, BC, ND, WY, WA, OR, WI, IL, NY, Ontario... you name it, the plates were there. I think maybe 20% of the cars had AZ plates. So I drove out and over to the Tatum St entrance (which has a pitiful 4 parking spots). Luckily I nabbed the last parking spot and began my trek in. It was a VERY unpleasant experience with all the crowds. They follow NONE of the rules posted and are obnoxious. They talk loud, walk 3 abreast, dont put their dogs on leashes, dont clean up the dog crap, dont follow trail etiquette... I was extremely upset and will be writing the park service. They really need people to enforce the rules in the park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area