Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 01:08 PM

281 posts, read 368,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
They lack natural surface water beyond the Santa Cruz which is tainted by questionable sewage practices in Nogales and the San Pedro which wouldn't be used without a fight. They also have an international water processing plant near Rio Rico as recycled water has become very popular in Southern AZ

Prior to CAP Tucson relied on groundwater mining and was depleting their aquifer very quickly. Tucson is, however, one of the most water efficient cities in the US in terms of water per user. Significant CAP cuts would be difficult for a place like Tucson if water levels fell below 1025
They still do rely on groundwater, don't they? The difference today being that their groundwater is "recharged" by CAP water.

That was my impression anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 01:12 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloppyRunner View Post
They still do rely on groundwater, don't they? The difference today being that their groundwater is "recharged" by CAP water.

That was my impression anyway.
It's a mix of both but yes you're right.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:08 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,967,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I guess it's your opinion if you think these areas are ugly:

http://scottsdaleforsaleaz.com/wp-co...rmick-Golf.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nickbastian/4462581803/

Country Club Manor Historic Homes For Sale in Phoenix

Encanto-Palmcroft Historic District - Phoenix AZ

http://www.phoenixrealestateagent.co...al_estate1.jpg

Carefree & far north Scottsdale might have the natural looking xeriscaped landscaping that is properly maintained, but what usually goes along with that? More dust, more blazing sunlight due to the lack of shade, as well as snakes, scorpions, and other poisonous desert creatures. As far as the rise in temperatures is concerned, we already have a massive urban heat island caused by all the sprawl growth, concrete, asphalt, etc. Desert landscape also contributes to the heat island effect ... and the Phoenix area doesn't need any further increase in temps, even just a couple of degrees. Thanks, but most of us who have established grass lawns like them and will keep them, regardless what meddlers like you think about them.

All those homes you posted look like theyre out of Napa Valley (minus the ones near downtown). Look at what happened to CA due to excessive and wasteful water use. You want that to happen to us? Along with the increased water usage, youre also creating more allergies for people by planting non-native flora. And news flash!!!! You live in a DESERT. Scorpions, snakes, etc, and all those "venomous" (not "poisonous") critters were here long before you and I, so you must learn to live with them in THEIR home. And to be honest, the more grass you plant, the more bugs you attract, and the more bugs you attract, the more scorpions, etc, youll attract. Give mice, etc, a place to cool down and get water, and youll attract snakes who prey on mice. The only reason far out places like Carefree have more scorpions, etc, is because most homes were built on fresh desert. Mark my words, if colonies of bark scorpions are left unchecked in greenbelt areas, they will multiply like no other.

Xeriscaping can indeed be beautiful, if you know how to do it right.

http://m.sothebysrealty.com/236i0/d2...9y42r82yzcn42i

http://pimage6.homesandland.com/imag...1005199116.jpg

http://pimage6.homesandland.com/imag...1005199116.jpg

http://blogsdir.cms.rrcdn.com/5/file...IX-ARIZONA.jpg

Old 11-12-2015, 03:12 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,967,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
100% incorrect statement
Are you gonna dispute that places like north Scottsdale, Fountain Hills, Suprise, etc, werent the fastest growing places in the nation for some time? If so, you'd be sorely mistaken. And those cities promote xeriscaping, even going so far as to ban grass in many areas. Most neighborhoods in places like Peoria and the like are all gravel yards. My statement holds true.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:14 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Are you gonna dispute that places like north Scottsdale, Fountain Hills, Suprise, etc, werent the fastest growing places in the nation for some time? If so, you'd be sorely mistaken. And those cities promote xeriscaping, even going so far as to ban grass in many areas. Most neighborhoods in places like Peoria and the like are all gravel yards. My statement holds true.
I'm saying carefree, cave creek and far north scottsdale in no way led the metro area in growth, they are part of a major metro area that was near tops in the nation in growth, with no correlation between the growth and "xeriscaping". Surprise is mostly landscaped like everywhere else, a mix of desert and grass.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:34 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
But is the growth because of the gravel or because fringe housing is usually landscaped with gravel? It's not like we have this abundant amount of grassy historic homes to accommodate transplants.

I actually agree with you the natural desert look is ideal it's the one thing I really miss about Tucson. But most of the re engineered Xeriscaping is really just non native shrubbery divided by gravel and looks terrible.

My grassy rentals have an almost 2 to 1 demand and rent higher.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:46 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,881,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
My grassy rentals have an almost 2 to 1 demand and rent higher.
Same here. Most of the short-term rentals here go to snowbirds who are used to seeing green lawns in their regular locales. They're not coming here to have a "desert experience" dune-buggying around in the sand or hiking through the Joshua trees. They're simply coming to rest or play golf in the sunshine because it's too freakin' cold for their arthritic bones in Alberta or Saskatchewan or Oregon, and they want landscape familiar to them. Then there are the young'uns who come here for White Party, the Dinah, et al., and most of them are so high they couldn't care less whether there's grass, bark dust or a concrete pad outside their party house, so there's no use paying the expense to rip out the lawns.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:23 PM

586 posts, read 541,621 times
I have yet to meet a snowbird who wants anything to do with grass and more and more these days are moving away from pools. Desert landscaping with as little maintenance as possible is the new trend for experienced snowbirds. And an above ground hot tub.

Edit: I mean as owners, not renters.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:46 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,358 times
Quote:
Never said it did, did I?

Anyways, its a shame most of PHX doesnt look like said areas, because those areas are stunningly beautiful, well-manicured and all that. It goes to show that if xeriscaping is done well, it is absolutely gorgeous. The lights on the yuccas and saguaros at night looks beautiful. Much more so than a shaggy, non-native tree that makes a mess and requires a butt ton of water to keep alive. Such a waste.
It's not a waste at all to have grass or shadetrees. I suppose you think parks with lots of trees and grass are wasteful too?

Think reasonably just for a minute, where do you expect children to play if there is no grass, in the cactus?

How comfortable is it for dogs to be on hot gravel, dirt, or sand?

Try walking barefoot on a yard of rocks, if you find it uncomfortable think how uncomfortable it is for many dogs.

There's lots of truth in the theory that desert yards generate heat but grass and shadetrees help minimize the summertime heat.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:07 AM

13,269 posts, read 7,316,697 times
Another grass debate this horse has been beaten to death so many times here. I guess it's always a good one to get good debate going here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area