Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 12:19 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,068,367 times

Advertisements

despite the pooh-poohing of Mesa here, there are many nice specific neighborhoods there.....it's the largest (population) suburb in the Phx area and varies widely....NE Mesa is, traditionally, the nicest area (nice meaning new, clean, safe-feeling), but would be a bear to commute into central Phx

as another said here, DO NOT hold your options only to Mesa or Scottsdale....if you're commuting into central Phx during rush hours, why not look closer in?....many fantastic, stable neighborhoods all over the central Phx area.....nice change from the soul-less suburbia of NE Scottsdale (or any outer suburb)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 12:33 PM

342 posts, read 438,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
On a scale of 1 to 100, I'd put Scottsdale in the upper 90s. Mesa? I'd give it a 15.

There's no comparison. Listen to the people here and forget about Mesa.
Agree
North Scottsdale especially. Maybe DC Ranch? Beautiful mountains views.... If you can afford a place in Scottsdale I would not even consider Mesa...

Old 12-13-2015, 12:46 PM

186 posts, read 195,614 times
Look at Mountain Bridge in Mesa. I think you'll like everything about it.

Old 12-13-2015, 01:25 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,282,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovinGal View Post
The price we paid for our home, we could have purchased two homes in Chandler (brand new builds, with pools, etc). But they don't appreciate as quickly.

This is not correct, the price differences are not that severe. My home in South Chandler, which is worth $640-$660K based on recent comps, would go for about $750-800k in Scottsdale (3600 SF single level, semi custom, pool, etc, 13500 SF lot). Thats about a 20% location adjustment, not 100% like your example. And everything I have looked at (I buy and sell real estate for a living and own properties in Scottsdale), does not show Scottsdale appreciating at a higher rate. This is specifically the South Chandler area I am speaking of near Ocotillo with A rated schools, close to shopping and employment. maybe the cheap houses in your example are on the fringes or maybe they're actually in Gilbert?

Old 12-13-2015, 03:01 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,474,891 times
Scottsdale, these two cities shouldn't even be compared.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:01 AM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by umamall View Post
Hi! We're moving from Colorado to the Phoenix area. Although we're still looking, we've chosen Scottsdale and Mesa as our most likely to move to places. We're looking for:
Good schools
Good commute into Phoenix
Luxury homes (I know the obvious answer is Scottsdale, but is Mesa a nice area as well?)
Thanks!
Where in Phoenix will you be commuting? That right there will likely make a difference in where you decide to live. Also, keep in mind that both Scottsdale and Mesa are very large suburbs that take up a lot of land area, and they both can seem more cities than suburbs ... so location is going to be a big deal in this matter. The east Valley tends to experience heavier rush hour traffic situations than Scottsdale does. The 60, the 10, and the section of the 101 between the 202 (Red Mountain) & 60 are always jammed during peak commute times.

Luxury homes: definitely Scottsdale, but not all of Scottsdale is going to offer this. For good schools, I would highly suggest going private. The public system isn't good at all, and there are many private institutions which are highly ranked & far superior to even the best rated public schools. Besides, the way I see it, anybody who can afford a luxury home should be easily able to afford private school tuition!

Old 12-14-2015, 01:30 PM

5 posts, read 17,851 times
Northeast Mesa is fantastic (Las Sendas / Mountain Bridge, etc). Great area and easy commute to Tempe/Phx on the 202.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:49 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,970,898 times
Mesa isnt very desireable at all, I wouldnt recommend it to anyone. Thats sad to say, but its true. Scottsdale, OTOH, is quite desireable, especially the further north you go. Central Scottsdale is still nice, but not prone to luxury real estate like the northern portions are. Save yourself the time and dont even look around Mesa.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:16 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,504,591 times
Scottsdale is overpriced and overrated.

You can usually get just as nice of house for a lesser pricetag in Mesa, Chandler, Ahwatukee, or the south part of Tempe and still have a reasonable commute to central Phoenix.

Don't overlook the west valley either, there are plenty of nice areas in Goodyear and parts of Avondale with decent schools and even some homes that could easily be in the luxury category.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:31 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,652,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Scottsdale is overpriced and overrated.

You can usually get just as nice of house for a lesser pricetag in Mesa, Chandler, Ahwatukee, or the south part of Tempe and still have a reasonable commute to central Phoenix.

Don't overlook the west valley either, there are plenty of nice areas in Goodyear and parts of Avondale with decent schools and even some homes that could easily be in the luxury category.
OP, I'd ignore this altogether. Scottsdale is a fantastic place to call home, especially if you can afford a luxurious lifestyle. Don't even consider Goodyear or Avondale. They're OK middle class suburbs (more so Goodyear than Avondale, which I absolutely wouldn't recommend), but there's certainly nothing luxurious about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area