Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 01:46 PM

3,411 posts, read 4,649,045 times

Advertisements

This is Western 'cowboy' culture (Cheyenne Frontier Days in Wyoming)

This is Southern culture (Duck Dynasty)

Completely different from each other, but share some similarities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 01:59 PM

416 posts, read 589,678 times
Well, there is a tinge of what you call Southern culture in Arizona, because after all so many fled the South to here after the Civil War.

But unlike the Confederate flag wavers of the deep South, out here it's morphed into something more of an 'out west' lifestyle thing, really. You know, the West, with the great and beautiful outdoors, hunting, fishing, camping, etc. Not a thing wrong with it, and... well, pretty much what KurtAZ is saying. I too am the descendant of Arizona pioneers, but they were second-generation Irish Americans, and what he says definitely applies.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:46 PM

7,832 posts, read 4,579,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
This is Western 'cowboy' culture (Cheyenne Frontier Days in Wyoming)

This is Southern culture (Duck Dynasty)

Completely different from each other, but share some similarities.
As long as you're stereotyping, in all fairness you should have used Gabby Hayes as the Arizona prototype.

Which is to say all the images are wrong...

Old 01-02-2016, 02:51 PM

123 posts, read 175,761 times
I understand what you are trying to ask. The culture you speak of, while you can find it on the fringes of the Phoenix area, is mostly found in the rural cities and towns of central and northern Arizona. Having lived in the south, the lifestyle of the arizona rural mountains comes closest to fitting your idea of this culture IMO. Lots of camping, hunting, offroading, dark skies, etc.

Old 01-02-2016, 04:26 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloguy1496 View Post
I understand what you are trying to ask. The culture you speak of, while you can find it on the fringes of the Phoenix area, is mostly found in the rural cities and towns of central and northern Arizona. Having lived in the south, the lifestyle of the arizona rural mountains comes closest to fitting your idea of this culture IMO. Lots of camping, hunting, offroading, dark skies, etc.

Yes, but it's still not the same as the "Southern" culture of people who like to do the same things.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:13 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,317,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
I wouldn't necessarily call hunting, fishing, trucks, or guns exclusively "Southern". Sure it may be a bit more prevalent in the South, but don't forget you are in the Western United States. There is a large outdoor population west of the Mississippi that do NOT feel like they are "Southern". We are descendants of pioneers, settlers, ranchers and farmers. We were taught by our Fathers and Grand-Fathers how to camp, fish, hunt and generally fend for ourselves. Granted it is more out of enjoyment than necessity now, but there is something to be said for being able to provide for yourself and your family without the presence of a grocery store.

Yes, we own a truck.
Yes, we own a Jeep.
Yes, we own a number of hunting and personal defense weapons.
Yes, we own too much camping gear.
Yes, my kids learned how to camp and survive without "civilization" for at least a week...just like I did, my Father did, my Grand-Dad did...course he was a little closer to HAVING to than WANTING to .

None of my family ever lived in the "South".
That is really admirable and I think it's a great skill to have. I am slowly learning these things. I think it teaches values too. Great post I wish more of the youth these days learned these skills. There is something to be said for being independent, learning to take yourself and being one with nature versus all of the "immediate gratification" that they receive now with video games, ipads, tv etc. Don't get me wrong, I love the latter but I think you can do both.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:19 PM

455 posts, read 653,604 times
It's clear from this thread that a lot of people don't know jack about the South...

Old 01-04-2016, 02:34 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,163,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
That is really admirable and I think it's a great skill to have. I am slowly learning these things. I think it teaches values too. Great post I wish more of the youth these days learned these skills. There is something to be said for being independent, learning to take yourself and being one with nature versus all of the "immediate gratification" that they receive now with video games, ipads, tv etc. Don't get me wrong, I love the latter but I think you can do both.
Absolutely you can do both. My son WILL not join Boy Scouts...although that is a great organization (political infighting aside) for teaching young men a myriad of skills...apparently it is not cool. So it falls on me to teach him. What he doesn't know is I am still using the Boy Scout merit badge requirements and handbook...he just doesn't have a uniform and badges . Besides I get to include my wife and daughter on camping trips and impart some skills for my daughter as well. She is quite the archer (she doesn't like guns, they're too loud) but she won't kill any animals since she is our animal lover. I don't think she knows where steak comes from yet . The trick is to keep driving until you don't have any service on any device except the CB. Then drive another mile and set up camp.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:53 PM

21 posts, read 22,225 times
heh, well we have a lot of mexicans, and a lot of mexicans drive pick up trucks and walmart is a go to place for them so...

actually in phoenix there is one of just two walmarts in the nation that cater specifically to latinos (the other one is somewhere in texas). i would think LA would have one first but whatever

people talking about racism? you'll get that wherever you go i guess. unless the population is all one race you're bound to have some racial tension.

why do new York, some southern cities, st louis, boston, LA, chicago, and detroit have more racism towards blacks than other places in the us? cause they have more black people.

so yeah, there is some racism towards hispanics in arizona, texas, LA than other parts of the country. but thats cause there are a lot more hispanics in the southwest than any other region of the country

Old 01-04-2016, 05:56 PM

21 posts, read 22,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
It's clear from this thread that a lot of people don't know jack about the South...
ive never been to the south. born and raised in arizona. but i know a lot of people get their info from movies produced by people from california and New york. those two places are the media capitals so obviously the rest of the country will see an unfair image of the south when its presented by northerners and hollywood elite
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area