Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2016, 11:03 AM

5 posts, read 5,722 times

Advertisements

Greetings everyone!

I am relocating from FL to the Scottsdale area on May 1, this year. I am interested in establishing a part-time business at a flea market, which operates Fri-Sun.

Would you please give me your thoughts on the area flea markets, especially those closer to the Scottsdale area. I'm particularly interested in the markets, which feature "indoor spaces".

I would assume the area markets are relatively "seasonal", with busier times occurring during winter months. Are there any markets which operate more consistently on an annual basis?

Many thanks in advance for your help!!

Ty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 07:41 AM

107 posts, read 203,694 times
I can't help you with Scottsdale, but when we have company in town we usually bring them to this place:
We're all about Recreational Shopping!

I don't know if it still is, but for a long time it advertised itself as the largest swap meet under one roof. It stays pretty busy year round, but in the winter it's packed.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:32 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,358,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbk2l View Post
I can't help you with Scottsdale, but when we have company in town we usually bring them to this place:
We're all about Recreational Shopping!

I don't know if it still is, but for a long time it advertised itself as the largest swap meet under one roof. It stays pretty busy year round, but in the winter it's packed.

That place is a big let down IMO. It's basically booth after booth of the same stuff over and over all purchased from the same junk supplier as many of the souvenir shops in Las Vegas. I was there with a friend who needed a T-shirt in a different size and the person working called several other booths to find it. Obviously a good chunk are all owned by the same person/company

If the OP could open a booth there that sold TRUE flea market stuff it would be a nice change.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:16 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,493,221 times
There used to be a lot more true "flea markets" in the valley and surrounding areas, with drive-in theaters and greyhound racing tracks using their parking lots for sales during the day. With the loss of drive-ins (one left in the whole state), most of that traffic has gone to indoor flea markets, primarily catering to Hispanic customers, and I understand the number of indoor markets has dropped quite a bit. The biggest competition to the flea markets is the huge number of yard sales and garage sales throughout the valley, which has drawn a lot of the customer base. I would guess Florida, because of the climate, has a similar situation. In much of the northern and eastern U.S., yard sales are seasonal and begin popping up in the spring and ending in the autumn, whereas here they are year-round because you can count on good weather most days, and there is less cost to the seller for vendor / table fees, etc. You can drive down major streets in most parts of the valley on a sunny Saturday and see dozens of yard sale signs

Flea markets in the valley used to primarily cater to individuals selling their unwanted goods, along with some people like antique pickers who made a living collecting and reselling items at the events on a regular basis, but most that rent space to sellers are now used by full-time sellers who buy from wholesalers and liquidators, so the thrill for buyers of finding an unrecognized treasure is gone - at least, that's my impression.

There are still a lot of antique malls that rent space to individual sellers. Most of the ones I have been in have a central cash register who collects the money from the buyer and remits it to the seller, so there isn't a need for the seller to be on-site. A lot of those antiques seem to be priced too high for the market.

dkts1170, what kind of goods do you sell (antiques, vintage clothing, books, food items, etc)? I could probably give you a better sense of what the market is like for you based on that.

Here's a recent article that rates some of the Valley's surviving flea markets: 10 Best Flea Markets and Vintage Shopping Events in Metro Phoenix | Phoenix New Times Most are intermittent sales and do not operate on a week-by-weel basis.

Here are some indoor regular ones. Most of these tend to be in Mesa, which is in the far eastern part of the Valley: http://www.keysfleamarket.com/fleama...te/arizona.htm

Another guide to flea markets, with links, throughout the state: http://fleamarketfinder.org/findFlea...s.php?state=AZ

Hope this is helpful to you.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:28 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,644,227 times
Quote:
Phoenix/Scottsdale area flea markets
Never bought fleas before. Earthworms, yes.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:36 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,493,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Never bought fleas before. Earthworms, yes.
Used to be a big earthworm farm on the southeast corner of 7th Street and Bethany Home Road.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:00 PM

5 posts, read 5,722 times
Default Many thanks!

Many thanks to all of you for your information... I appreciate the time you've taken to reply to my inquiry! I will conduct further research based on what you've provided to me. This will definitely help to optimize my due diligence, once I arrive in the valley.

Thanks again!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area