Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2016, 01:38 PM

7 posts, read 11,333 times

Advertisements

As I have posted before, we are moving to AZ this summer. We had been mostly focusing on Surprise, but due to hearing so much negativity about the commute, we have decided to look elsewhere. We have a child in elementary school so my main priorities are schools and crime rate. Ideally, we would like to be in an area with good schools and safe neighborhoods, which is what seems to have turned our attention to Peoria, as we are also looked for a reasonably priced house. I have family in Scottsdale and Phoenix and have visited several times, but do not know much about the surrounding areas. I will be working in Phoenix, close to the 101 and Scottsdale Road, so I am wondering how my commute would be to Peoria and also, just any general info you could provide. We are also open to looking in other areas. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 03:45 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,630,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeyKay View Post
As I have posted before, we are moving to AZ this summer. We had been mostly focusing on Surprise, but due to hearing so much negativity about the commute, we have decided to look elsewhere. We have a child in elementary school so my main priorities are schools and crime rate. Ideally, we would like to be in an area with good schools and safe neighborhoods, which is what seems to have turned our attention to Peoria, as we are also looked for a reasonably priced house. I have family in Scottsdale and Phoenix and have visited several times, but do not know much about the surrounding areas. I will be working in Phoenix, close to the 101 and Scottsdale Road, so I am wondering how my commute would be to Peoria and also, just any general info you could provide. We are also open to looking in other areas. Thanks in advance!
Commute will still be horrible from Peoria (especially the good areas which are North/Northwest). You should consider the Arrowhead area of Glendale, Desert Ridge, or Scottsdale.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:36 PM

17,916 posts, read 43,582,084 times
Do not live in Peoria if you are working all the way across the Valley. Northeast Phoenix/Desert Ridge area, (Paradise Valley School District) makes more sense.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:42 PM

9,185 posts, read 16,722,870 times
Scottsdale and the 101 is a great area. Just live right by work. No need to commute so far.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:50 PM

44,716 posts, read 61,938,081 times
OP might want to look into the North Phoenix area, there are some nice and reasonable communities there.
Here's one: Stoneledge at North Canyon | New Homes in 85085
Desert Ridge Market Place is another: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Ridge

Old 01-11-2016, 07:55 AM

7 posts, read 11,333 times
Thanks for all the replies! We love the desert ridge area, but we are trying to stay under 225k, so that is why are search turned elsewhere. It just doesn't seem like there's much in that area under 250k.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:11 AM

586 posts, read 545,908 times
Spend it on mortgage payment or spend it on gas/time in traffic, either way you will be spending it. Try as hard as you can to get yourself a house where you maximize your personal and family time by reducing your sitting in traffic time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeyKay View Post
Thanks for all the replies! We love the desert ridge area, but we are trying to stay under 225k, so that is why are search turned elsewhere. It just doesn't seem like there's much in that area under 250k.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:12 AM

17,916 posts, read 43,582,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
Spend it on mortgage payment or spend it on gas/time in traffic, either way you will be spending it. Try as hard as you can to get yourself a house where you maximize your personal and family time by reducing your sitting in traffic time.

Exactly.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:36 AM

4,619 posts, read 9,318,638 times
I would look in Arrowhead Ranch around 67th Avenue and 101 or the Mountaingate subdivision near 101/Cave Creek Rd which is much closer. I know it is a longer commute but people are being unrealistic telling you to look in North Scottsdale on a $225K budget. North I-17 around Carefree Highway can also be considered, but I agree that Surprise is too far from Scottsdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area