Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 07:20 PM

38 posts, read 32,693 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a 22 year old male college student graduating in May. I have lived in the Chicago area my entire life, and went to college in the Midwest. I have always despised the winters here, and want to move to a warmer climate. Now is the perfect time for me to do that, as I have no obligations besides getting off to a good start regarding my career, which will be selling insurance.

First, for anybody who has moved away from a cold climate such as Chicago to warmer weather. Did it make a positive impact on your overall happiness? I love being outside, and think a place where I can play golf, outdoor basketball, etc. year round will have a huge impact on my well being. I love being active and eating healthy, and am curious about how much more active/happier you became upon moving to a warm climate.

My priorities for my new city are the following:

1. warm, somewhat nice weather year round. I am okay with it being super hot at times which I know is the case for cities such as Tampa or Austin. Nearby beaches, high quality golf, and other fun outdoor activities are a huge plus
2. a place where I will easily be able to find new friends around my age and can live in a neighborhood (Chicago-Lincoln park-esque)where I will be surrounded by young people similar to myself. I will know very few, perhaps 0 people in the new city that I move to. I am an outgoing person who has made friends rather easily, but am still concerned about meeting new people if I don't know anybody going in.
3. Fun nightlife for a 22 year old. I enjoy going out to drink, and would love a place where there is a great variety of fun bars and restaurants.
4. Nice people that will be open to welcoming new friends. I have never been to California, but have heard bad things (egotistical, conceded) about the people there (would love for people to confirm/deny this).
5. Cost of living matters but isn't huge. I am not too concerned with the economy of the city or state I am moving to. I will be selling insurance in an assigned territory and all cities offer essentially the same opportunities, it just depends on how well I form relationships.

The city which I can move to is not limited, and I will list them in the tiers which I currently have them in. First tier I am most heavily considering, second tier is below that, etc. The only city I have been to is Tampa, and I was only there for a day. I am a very open-minded person and believe I will like any of the below cities, but would love to hear insight from people within the forum. I also understand that I will need a car for my new city, and have no problem with buying a car upon moving.

First tier: Tampa, Austin, Charlotte, Phoenix

Second tier: Nashville, Los Angeles, Dallas

Third tier: Sunrise, FL....Houston, San Fran, Irvine

Based on my description, I would love to hear from people which city they see as the best fit!

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 08:20 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,989,015 times
I'm pretty much the same age as you I'm 24 and born and raised in AZ but have traveled all over. Despite the winters Chicago really is a great city for young people in their 20s. I really enjoy that place. It's very urban and walkable and that alone makes it a lot easier to meet people. As I'm sure you're aware the "sunbelt" cities are very spread out and made for driving (with the exception of San Fran you will need a car in all those cities listed). I can only speak for the Phoenix area. Phoenix metro is super spread out and there are only a couple of areas where you'll find a lot of young people in one place and that's Tempe near ASU, Old Town Scottsdale, and Downtown/Central Phx has a growing yuppie population as well. It's never easy moving somewhere where you know absolutely no one. However, people here are very friendly and if you go out of your comfort zone you will meet people in no time. I would start with your Alumni network though and see if anyone from your college has relocated here. That would be a good start! There's a plethora of meetup groups too where you can easily start meeting people and making friends. Please feel free to message me if you have further questions,

Last edited by BuckeyeBoyDJ; 01-17-2016 at 08:59 PM..

Old 01-17-2016, 08:32 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,100,807 times
do you really have to move (for the job)?......all you mention above (except for #1) is right there in one of the world's great cities!

but I know what you mean....big decision....pros and cons to every place.....be warned that Phx is not remotely as neighborhood-ish as Chicago....lower density, less tall buildings, very spread out....there are a few walkable 'hoods in the central areas of Phx, but nothing like the legendary neighborhoods of Chicago....

wherever you go, join meetups and similar to meet people....there are many more people out here who are non-natives than in Chicago and I think there are many 20-somethings chasing the dream, too

Old 01-17-2016, 09:55 PM

397 posts, read 605,313 times
As someone who moved from Chicago to Phoenix I understand the desire for a warmer climate but you need to think seriously about your career prospects. Generally speaking, the job prospects are better in Chicago than in Phoenix for a recent grad. There are more professional jobs in Chicago and the salaries are higher. There are also better opportunities for advancement in Chicago.

Chicago is also a great city for young people. There is so much to do there. It's definitely more exciting and cosmopolitan. I also think Chicago is just as much of an outdoor city as Phoenix. Summers are truly brutal here and no one ventures outside for about 4 months of the year. Even during the winter in Chicago, people can enjoy winter sports.

I wouldn't go back to Chicago but if I was a 22 year old, I think I'd prefer Chicago to Phoenix any day.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:05 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,998,281 times
The only areas around here that will suit what you desire (minus the beaches, of course) are Tempe and Old Town Scottsdale area. Lots of nightlife in both of those areas, with Scottsdale's being more upscale, Tempe's being more college-oriented. Theres really no neighborhoods here like Wicker Park or Lincoln Park, they just dont exist. Also make sure you have a job lined up before you move, as the PHX area just doesnt offer nearly as much as Chicago, so the pickins will be more slim. I would also add that if youre looking for genuine warm weather year round, youll have better luck in Tampa.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
do you really have to move (for the job)?......all you mention above (except for #1) is right there in one of the world's great cities!

but I know what you mean....big decision....pros and cons to every place.....be warned that Phx is not remotely as neighborhood-ish as Chicago....lower density, less tall buildings, very spread out....there are a few walkable 'hoods in the central areas of Phx, but nothing like the legendary neighborhoods of Chicago....

wherever you go, join meetups and similar to meet people....there are many more people out here who are non-natives than in Chicago and I think there are many 20-somethings chasing the dream, too
I don't have to move for the job, but still want to try out a new city. I truly despise the winter, and don't want to be sitting inside every winter the rest of my life regretting not moving to a warmer city. I can always move back to Chicago if need be.

Thanks for the insight regarding the neighborhoods, I understand Chicago is a world class city but still believe I will be happier in a warmer climate!

I will certainly be assertive in meeting new people, and greatly appreciate your advice.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
The only areas around here that will suit what you desire (minus the beaches, of course) are Tempe and Old Town Scottsdale area. Lots of nightlife in both of those areas, with Scottsdale's being more upscale, Tempe's being more college-oriented. Theres really no neighborhoods here like Wicker Park or Lincoln Park, they just dont exist. Also make sure you have a job lined up before you move, as the PHX area just doesnt offer nearly as much as Chicago, so the pickins will be more slim. I would also add that if youre looking for genuine warm weather year round, youll have better luck in Tampa.
Thanks for the insight and advice. It seems as though Tampa, Austin, Charlotte and even California cities fit what I am looking for more so than Phoenix. I can't say thanks enough for the input!

Old 01-18-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTW2013 View Post
As someone who moved from Chicago to Phoenix I understand the desire for a warmer climate but you need to think seriously about your career prospects. Generally speaking, the job prospects are better in Chicago than in Phoenix for a recent grad. There are more professional jobs in Chicago and the salaries are higher. There are also better opportunities for advancement in Chicago.

Chicago is also a great city for young people. There is so much to do there. It's definitely more exciting and cosmopolitan. I also think Chicago is just as much of an outdoor city as Phoenix. Summers are truly brutal here and no one ventures outside for about 4 months of the year. Even during the winter in Chicago, people can enjoy winter sports.

I wouldn't go back to Chicago but if I was a 22 year old, I think I'd prefer Chicago to Phoenix any day.
I understand your concern regarding the job prospects. My situation is an exception though, as I would already have the job lined up, and each city would offer essentially the same opportunities monetarily. I will be assigned a territory to sell and will have to make best use of that, so it would really be up to me regarding how well I do.

Chicago is definitely a great city for young people, its tough to beat all the exciting neighborhoods. I still firmly believe a warmer climate is right for me, but Phoenix might not be the city I am looking for. Thanks a bunch for the insight as to how people don't do much outside for 4 months of the year.

Have a great day and thanks so much!

Old 01-18-2016, 08:54 AM

445 posts, read 518,481 times
I grew up in Chicago and lived there most of my life until almost 5 years ago. I also decided enough was enough with the weather (and traffic, lack of parking, high cost of living, etc) and moved out west. Between the beautiful weather and the scenery out here, I haven't looked back. You asked about the weather affecting your mood and I can tell you it definitely does. The fact that you might go a month without seeing the sun during Chicago winters is just depressing. I'm much happier with the sun out all the time.

That all said, I'm going to echo what some other posters have said about making sure you understand what a great city you're in already. If I was still 22, I might have a different opinion about the importance of the weather relative to the ability to live in a vibrant, walkable neighborhood with plenty of nightlife. I've been to cities of all sizes all over the country, and very few have what Chicago does. Roosevelt Row in downtown Phoenix is probably a very junior version of what Wicker Park used to be 15-20 years ago, but smaller and with less nightlife. Aside from that, Tempe is probably the only other area that is somewhat close to anything you might find in Lincoln Park or Wicker Park, and even that is debatable.

One question about where you're from... Are you from the city or the suburbs? If you're from the suburbs and that is more along the lines of your comfort level, then you'd probably be fine here. Phoenix is very suburban, and Old Town Scottsdale might be right up your alley. But if you're from the city and/or looking for a true urban experience while you're in your 20's, I'd probably steer you more toward Austin.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:57 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,998,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucemm View Post
I understand your concern regarding the job prospects. My situation is an exception though, as I would already have the job lined up, and each city would offer essentially the same opportunities monetarily. I will be assigned a territory to sell and will have to make best use of that, so it would really be up to me regarding how well I do.

Chicago is definitely a great city for young people, its tough to beat all the exciting neighborhoods. I still firmly believe a warmer climate is right for me, but Phoenix might not be the city I am looking for. Thanks a bunch for the insight as to how people don't do much outside for 4 months of the year.

Have a great day and thanks so much!
Phoenix is warmer than Chicago, for sure. In summer its incredibly hot. Heat like you've never experienced before. Tampa will be more like Chicago's summers, but w/o the breaks in humidity that Chicago gets. PHX has dry heat for May and June, then humid heat during July, August, and September. October is generally very pleasant, but then its like someone hits a switch and the nights get dang cold. Tampa's winters are generally very pleasant. Much more mild at night than ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area