Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Arizona will be one of fastest growing states again?
yes 55 80.88%
no 13 19.12%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 03:48 PM

39,125 posts, read 51,388,584 times

Advertisements

AZ's aging population means that deaths are going to start cutting into our growth rates going forward. It is expected to fall by about 1/2 over the next 30 years. All the talk about DINKS and staying childless is not helping in that respect. We will need more migration from other states or outside the US if we want to maintain a growing economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 04:09 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,942,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
AZ's aging population means that deaths are going to start cutting into our growth rates going forward. It is expected to fall by about 1/2 over the next 30 years. All the talk about DINKS and staying childless is not helping in that respect. We will need more migration from other states or outside the US if we want to maintain a growing economy.
Uh; EACH time the snow states get hit by a hard storm; more people WILL move here. From outside the US; legal immigration is OK, ILLEGAL immigration ain't.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:57 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,756,471 times
Quote:
Not debating the fact, but it is a national problem not an Arizona problem. Were still the 17th youngest state: Chart: Compare the average age in each U.S. state, 2005-2014 - The Denver Post

Not sure how you fix it though, the only shot at a real life is college, for most that means quite a bit of debt.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:11 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,513,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Who said I'm not educating my kids? Public schools in Chandler rate high (comparable to private schools) so I am doing my part by moving to an expensive part of the city and paying about $4.5K annually in property taxes. In addition I always donate more than the $400 tax credit amount (currently $2K annually to my 2nd graders' elementary school). Plus I do not believe in god so sending my kid to a Catholic school was never in the cards. Just because people don't pay for private school tuition does not mean they are not "doing their part to educate their kids"
Some people are just opposed to paying taxes for education and they berate people who have schoolaged children in a public district, it's unfortunate but it seems to be a common theme among ultraconservatives and libertarians.

Chandler has many good schools and students at Hamilton have ACT scores above state and national averages.

I'd say you made a good choice.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:00 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,955,199 times
Quote:
We need balanced legal immigration, so we are not bringing in 90% people with no skills or education
We need 75% educated professionals like doctors ,scientists , business creators since almost the whole world would move here if given the chance we can pick the best and brightest.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:55 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,311,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
We need balanced legal immigration, so we are not bringing in 90% people with no skills or education
We need 75% educated professionals like doctors ,scientists , business creators since almost the whole world would move here if given the chance we can pick the best and brightest.
Absolutely right! Unfortunately, we keep attracting people from various parts of the country based on how bad the weather is where they came from, and how much better the weather supposedly is here. While I can perhaps see weather/climate as one reason to consider moving here, it shouldn't be the most important (or the only) reason. Many of these sun loving transplants aren't exactly bringing in the money, the skills, the knowledge, the ambition, or the entrepreneurship that we need more of.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:33 PM

849 posts, read 972,728 times
I didn't come here for the weather. I came here because the overall day to day life is very similar to back home while the cost of living is dirt cheap.

I am in software development, which was a lot easier to get into at an entry level than back home. Back home it's all about senior levels with billions of years of experience, whereas here there are decent opportunities across the board.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:53 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,311,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
I didn't come here for the weather. I came here because the overall day to day life is very similar to back home while the cost of living is dirt cheap.

I am in software development, which was a lot easier to get into at an entry level than back home. Back home it's all about senior levels with billions of years of experience, whereas here there are decent opportunities across the board.
I'm guessing you came here from the Silicon Valley. If so, you're right about the tech field there vs. here. I know people who are from that area, and if you're not a "techie", you're considered somewhat of an outcast there. If you're not one the "higher ups" in the field, you're looked down on. Anyway, I'm glad you're not somebody who moved here strictly for the weather. At least you sound like you have your priorities straight.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:46 PM

849 posts, read 972,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I'm guessing you came here from the Silicon Valley. If so, you're right about the tech field there vs. here. I know people who are from that area, and if you're not a "techie", you're considered somewhat of an outcast there. If you're not one the "higher ups" in the field, you're looked down on. Anyway, I'm glad you're not somebody who moved here strictly for the weather. At least you sound like you have your priorities straight.
Yes, it's where I'm native to. I grew up just a few miles from Intel's HQ. Being entry level back home doesn't work unless you either know someone, or you have a PhD from an ivy league, or somehow have 2+ years of experience when you graduate with your BS. Other than that, it's all about management positions and 10-15+ years of experience seniors. It's ridiculous. Where I work has gone from 4 programmers to 9 in the last year and a half and the new hires have all had little to no experience (I have a BA, but it's not in tech; I have an AA in programming). Yet we have been on the fastest growing companies list for the last two years and have a large, captive client base of financial institutions and it's growing more than linearly.

It's not all about raw education and years of experience - passion and demonstrated aptitude are much more important; as has been shown. So it's CA's loss and AZ's win!

Old 05-26-2016, 04:58 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,955,199 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area