Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Arizona will be one of fastest growing states again?
yes 55 80.88%
no 13 19.12%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 11:26 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Is it then fair to blame other large minority groups in other states? The state is 60% non Hispanic white and 29% Latino/Hispanic. Immigration is down etc. Why do more diverse score better? Why do states with large African American populations score well?
I'm just stating facts/reality. The article I provided goes into more details. Don't shoot the messenger.

In my view the solution? Engaged parents who instill the value of education into their children. That's something school funding can never buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 09:29 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Doing just a little better than Mississippi than job growth:

Why Forbes projects Arizona to lead U.S. in job growth

For our public school system to rank higher, I guess the solution is throwing lots more money in largely hispanic school districts to get the test scores up because money is the main way to achieve better school test performance?

Bridging Arizona's Hispanic student-achievement chasm

"For Arizona to shed its reputation as an educational laggard, it must face an unpleasant truth:

Our state’s low test scores are largely attributable to an achievement chasm between White and Latino students."

And then we can be one of the "best of the worst" in education in this country.

LAGGING BEHIND: US Education Ranks 36th Worldwide | whotv.com
I have to go along with the posters who claim the Phoenix area could be doing better in the education and jobs areas, there's always room for improvement and to claim otherwise is short-sighted.

I don't agree with the comparison of Arizona to Mississippi, there is no correlation at all between the two states because of so many major differences in population, growth, economic status, culture, dialect, religious beliefs, and even politics.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
I have to go along with the posters who claim the Phoenix area could be doing better in the education and jobs areas, there's always room for improvement and to claim otherwise is short-sighted.

I don't agree with the comparison of Arizona to Mississippi, there is no correlation at all between the two states because of so many major differences in population, growth, economic status, culture, dialect, religious beliefs, and even politics.
I agree there's always improvement on the job front but there's a fine line between the right amount of growth and too much of a good thing that many cities suffer from. Hard to control but the overhead can get unpleasant. And yes, education/having an educated populace is also a good thing but I think that responsibility comes mainly from the parents, not from more government spending more as the politicians try to sell to the masses.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:33 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Problem is for parents to ensure the best educational opportunities they need to buy it. You just can't be interested, you need to be interested and funded.

Once you get through high school you can choose any of the mediocre university options here. It is a problem and a reason companies are hesitant to put anything more than an office that reports to a regional hub in a place like Denver or LA here.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:36 PM

394 posts, read 343,165 times
*snip for brevity *

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Start bringing in younger, more educated people and watch this turn to a blue state in an instant. Not going to happen.
Thank gawd!!!

I purposefully refrained from commenting on several prior posts, due to multi-faceted directions the thread was going... But your post was/is extremely relevant to the topic and complexity of Phx suburbs in general...

I'm a So Cal transplant... Single working professional - astute to the dynamics that have degraded CA over the last 2-3 decades... I need to preface further statements with "I'm not one of them" - and if you haven't experienced the ca decline, you may not appreciate those of us that care...

Reason for my reply is - if AZ is not cognizant of its growth (and it will REQUIRE care and involvement of its populace), it is poised to become the sister state of CA. I'm here to tell/warn you - that is NOT a good thing.

I could go on for pages with details - and when Im settled in, I intend to be involved enough to give examples of consequences... But for sake of this post - "bringing in younger, more educated people and watch this turn to a blue state in an instant" reeks of entitlement, give me now ruthlessness that has helped destroy CA social fabric. Of course, it's much more dynamic than that simple summary - but again, I'm not going to delve into everything at this point/in this post.

Having that been said - I understand there's a chance the post I'm responding to was tongue in cheek - and if so, the warning is the same... If it was a sincere post of relevance, the warning is even more important.

BTW, I've decided on new development in Buckeye (for several reasons - part of which, admittedly is the remote logistics and going at it solo... In this market, if you arent local the day a resale comes to market, you won't be under contract... So as much as I question the value sustainability of Buckeye new builds (increasing weekly, even daily by the thousands) I have made a calculated risk that it's growth potential is worth the purchase.

Lots of thoughts in this post - thanks for reading... Most important, please help keep AZ the attraction it is - Freedom for opportunity and from over-zealous oversight. Untill you've lived it's demise, you won't understand the importance of keeping the state from "turning blue".

FWIW, Im Libertarian - and wish more people in the country understood the platform... But of course in a world of Reality TV - American values don't resonate with many people until they wonder why they are in debt to the government - with no way to advance.

Think before you vote.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
Reason for my reply is - if AZ is not cognizant of its growth (and it will REQUIRE care and involvement of its populace), it is poised to become the sister state of CA. I'm here to tell/warn you - that is NOT a good thing.
Agree 100% and this is the point I've hammered a few times myself.

For people who think fast growth/highly educated/crank up the growth is paradise and all the baggage it comes with, it's a 12 hour or less drive in many directions from the Phoenix metro for those to settle in to that model if they desire.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:24 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Agree 100% and this is the point I've hammered a few times myself.

For people who think fast growth/highly educated/crank up the growth is paradise and all the baggage it comes with, it's a 12 hour or less drive in many directions from the Phoenix metro for those to settle in to that model if they desire.
Fast unchecked growth isn't good, I agree.

What do you find unappealing about highly-educated people? Don't they usually have the higher earning potential and shouldn't Phoenix strive to grow a more educated populace?

Would you rather Phoenix be dominated by unmotivated low-skilled, uneducated people living in low-rent apartments and trailer parks?

Old 05-28-2016, 12:35 AM

394 posts, read 343,165 times
Quote:

What do you find unappealing about highly-educated people? Don't they usually have the higher earning potential and shouldn't Phoenix strive to grow a more educated populace?

Would you rather Phoenix be dominated by unmotivated low-skilled, uneducated people living in low-rent apartments and trailer parks?
Not to speak for the post that you addressed, but...

IMO (FWIW), the issue isn't educated vs uneducated - its much more about understanding the value of opportunity. Too many "educated" individuals are completely ignorant. *I trust you understand the difference between education and intelligence...

I can't warn you enough - think logically and understand the principles of opportunity vs entitlement.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:24 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
Not to speak for the post that you addressed, but...

IMO (FWIW), the issue isn't educated vs uneducated - its much more about understanding the value of opportunity. Too many "educated" individuals are completely ignorant. *I trust you understand the difference between education and intelligence...

I can't warn you enough - think logically and understand the principles of opportunity vs entitlement.
I'm not sure that having ignorant educated people is a good reason to not want more of them. There are a lot more uneducated yet ignorant people. And this city is full of them.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:

I'd be picking on myself/my wife if I had something against highly educated people. So no, of course not, I have nothing at all against them and certainly welcome them.

My point.....we need balance here in Phoenix of various education levels and that makes a good quality of life for the vast majority of people. When the balance tips far in either direction, certain aspects happens to an area that aren't positive. Ying/yang thing. As I mentioned above in other posts, if you get an imbalance of high end/high paying jobs then you get high price tag housing that very few can afford(see many parts of CA), crowding that will make our current traffic look like So Cal/San Fran area traffic, and lots of other aspects that make a quality of life for the vast majority of people unattainable.

Again, I think it's balance and a slow path towards this balance is a good thing for the vast majority of people. I see Phoenix moving in that direction with IT and such. I can guarantee if we become a hyper growth city that fuels high priced housing, traffic, ultra fast sprawl ever faster than what we have now because we bring in a bunch of high paying jobs at an unhealthy rate, etc. we'd see thread galore popping up complaining about this aspect and rightfully so. Slow and steady often wins the race in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I'm not sure that having ignorant educated people is a good reason to not want more of them. There are a lot more uneducated yet ignorant people. And this city is full of them.
Looking at the "Educated" and who they vote for, there are piles of ignorant "educated" for sure in my view. Lots of book smart people out there with college degrees and nothing much beyond that.

Given only about 1/3 of the nation is college educated, except for certain small pockets here and there throughout the nation that are higher/much higher in regards to where they live, that's the reality we live in.....most people are "uneducated" and made that choice so of course you'll have most people fall into the category you refer to in the Phoenix metro or any place in this nation except for small pockets here and there. In a free society, there's nothing much we can do about changing that.

Last edited by stevek64; 05-28-2016 at 01:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area