Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 10:26 AM

47 posts, read 54,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberpills View Post
Hi all OP here again.

Thanks for all the insights. I am still doing my research on possible places to live and waiting to hear my offer from the company.

I've decided against living in Surprise since it sounds like the commute would be rather unpleasant. Now focusing my efforts on Peoria and Arrowhead Ranch(and surrounding).

A quick question that I need to ask, but may already know the answer to:

- As I look at rental properties around the North Glendale area, I see some fairly decent homes that seem to have metal bars on the front doors or windows. This is a bad sign right?

Example: 5130 W Acoma Dr, Glendale, AZ 85306 | Zillow
Good call. This commute is currently my life and I can't wait until my lease is up so I can move closer in or possibly over to the east side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 01:19 PM

95 posts, read 154,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracarys View Post
Good call. This commute is currently my life and I can't wait until my lease is up so I can move closer in or possibly over to the east side.
I actually got on Google Maps Street View and "3d clicked" my way from Surprise to 59th/Bell. The footage was probably taken mid day so traffic didn't look bad, but that is indeed a LOOONG road to travel at 40-45mph. It's easy to see how it would get very congested at peak times with all the neighborhoods, stores, and lights along the way.

I'm hoping to land something just north of work since it seems like things will still be affordable and the drive from the Happy Valley area seems reasonable.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:23 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberpills View Post
Hi all OP here again.

Thanks for all the insights. I am still doing my research on possible places to live and waiting to hear my offer from the company.

I've decided against living in Surprise since it sounds like the commute would be rather unpleasant. Now focusing my efforts on Peoria and Arrowhead Ranch(and surrounding).

A quick question that I need to ask, but may already know the answer to:

- As I look at rental properties around the North Glendale area, I see some fairly decent homes that seem to have metal bars on the front doors or windows. This is a bad sign right?

Example: 5130 W Acoma Dr, Glendale, AZ 85306 | Zillow
This isn't far from me and it's a safe area. I live a few miles south on 51st and I have metal bars on our windows. They were already on our house when we got it (we got the house from a life-long retired cop who was obsessed with making the house secure, you should've seen it when we got it), my dad refuses to take them down despite my mom hating them because of the additional security. As others have stated, people don't go for these homes. They are common on older homes in West Valley, I'd say the 80s or earlier. Especially if they are inhabited by the elderly for some reason.

Ironically, when I used to live due north of Arrowhead I experienced much more crime than where I live now, and many of the C-D posters would say if they knew where I live to be an undesirable area, especially compared to my old house. It was because of being in a very nice neighborhood that was ungated subjected me to being robbed twice, despite being walking distance from a police station. About two miles west of where this house is (the one you linked to) are 500-1M custom homes on at least one acre lots, all ungated. They will be the target for at least robberies in this general area. Not the ones with metal bars on their windows.

There are plenty of homes in this area of town without metal bars if it's not your cup of tea.

North of Arrowhead, and north of the 101, is also a nice area I suggest you look into. There also appears to be a nice set of homes due south of Arrowhead on 75th Avenue that I think is worth your consideration. I strongly suggest not looking West as already stated, you are limited to Bell Road and that should be dodged if possible, even on a reverse commute.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:44 AM

71 posts, read 115,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Depends on your age. Both are safe communities. Taken Sun City and Surprise as a whole you tend to, but not exclusively, have either young families or retirees in these areas. So that's up to you if that's something you like then you will find it a nice quiet and peaceful place to live. As a young person (who lived in Surprise as a young person albeit a very different Surprise than the current one), Surprise doesn't have a lot of young or singles types of activities. It has some but not a lot. For a frame of
Do you have anywhere else in mind? You could probably get into Northern Glendale/Peoria at a comparable price with the same level of 'niceness' for a shorter commute and more amenities.

JGMotorsport.... I am retired and looking to Surprise to live my "twilight years". We are not party animals, so community activites are fine for us, I want to be out of town a bit (being in CA now I want away from all the drama of neighborhoods etc!). No kids, no pets, no family, retired, not working (I am a seamstress, working from home so anywhere works for me!) A 30 minute drive to a major town once a month is fine as long as there is the general basics in town... like grocery stores, dime stores, auto parts stores, things like that for daily use.

What can you tell me about this "side" of Surprise? I am getting a RE agent, and on the MLS but still... personal info is much needed for major moves like this. What is housing doing there...how fast is it all growing and where is the best "side" of town for us older folks? This will be my 30th move in 40 years (and we aren't even military!) but it will be my last move so I am in it for the long haul. Are Property taxes high? I looked into moving to Texas around family, but property taxes in that state are so high.. I couldn't afford it! Is there other little town near Surprise that are just as good? Anything you can share with me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area