Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 06:00 PM

774 posts, read 845,030 times

Advertisements

I never understood flip flops I've never wear them and they are not comfortable at all. I bet it's more a snowbird/transplant thing. OP this is the Southwest you won't see many people wearing cowboy gear. Shorts and tanks tops you will see a lot of women wearing Pink by Victoria Secret. I'm more of a dickies, tshirt, air force 1's with some locs kinda guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 06:08 PM

9 posts, read 9,992 times
As I was told by friends pretty soon after moving... Casual casual casual

Old 01-29-2016, 06:49 PM

3,412 posts, read 4,681,541 times
Personally, I wear jeans or khaki shorts, decal t-shirt and running shoes. I don't wear cowboy attire at all, except the outback Australian style hat and keen shoes if I'm outside when sunny and hot, that's about it. If it's chilly outside, I'll throw on a hoodie or long sleeve fleece jacket.

I dislike flip-flops, they're not comfortable and actually bad for your back and legs.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:47 PM

13,573 posts, read 7,536,205 times
Flip flops are very common here I don't know anyone who doesn't wear them my wife and I wear them all the time. Never had an issue with my back or legs most of that is caused from lack of exercise. Tanktops are also very common in the summer . Summer cloths are shorts, tee shirt and flip flops Winter tee shirt and jeans flip flops. I find it's only cold last few weeks in December though January now back in the high 70's probably 80's next month. Even at work everyone wears jeans very casual here.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:48 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,641,321 times
No. Frumpy reigns supreme in Phoenix. There are some people who care about their appearance, but most have given up. People in Scottsdale are noticeably dressier. Except for some ASU girls, you will not see that cowgirl style here.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:38 AM

123 posts, read 176,445 times
Modern Phoenix is hugely influenced by California, not the old west. For us college students, the indie/hipster style is massively popular. You see guys in jeans and button ups or flannels, or shorts and a graphic t shirt in summer. Girls usually are seen in shorts and a tshirt, tank or a sundress. Shoes vary. Flip flops, jeans, khakis, or shorts, and a tee shirt or button up are popular among adults, while sandals are popular in the older population. Scottsdale is trendier, Tempe has a huge population of college students, and Downtown Phoenix is trying to grow into a sort of center for the urban hipster. These areas typically have more visible style than other areas of the Phoenix area. This widely popular idea that Phoenix is still a city stuck in the old west just simply is not true.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:53 AM

3,412 posts, read 4,681,541 times
Sounds like I shouldn't have a problem fitting in then, I dress fairly casual and comfortable so I don't have to worry.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:24 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,488,474 times
lol no.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:22 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,343,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloguy1496 View Post
Modern Phoenix is hugely influenced by California, not the old west. For us college students, the indie/hipster style is massively popular. You see guys in jeans and button ups or flannels, or shorts and a graphic t shirt in summer. Girls usually are seen in shorts and a tshirt, tank or a sundress. Shoes vary. Flip flops, jeans, khakis, or shorts, and a tee shirt or button up are popular among adults, while sandals are popular in the older population. Scottsdale is trendier, Tempe has a huge population of college students, and Downtown Phoenix is trying to grow into a sort of center for the urban hipster. These areas typically have more visible style than other areas of the Phoenix area. This widely popular idea that Phoenix is still a city stuck in the old west just simply is not true.
Definitely agree! I never ever ever see the old western cowboy attire anywhere around Phoenix. This might have been somewhat common 40 or 50 years ago, but even then it was more of a statement than a regular way of dressing. I used to wear Wranglers, boots, a hat, and a bola tie when I'd visit some novelty attraction like Rawhide many years ago, but other than that, it's mostly business casual for me (and many others).

Old 02-24-2016, 05:05 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,605,477 times
I wish there was more picture #2's running around here. WOW, she is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area