Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 01:00 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,604,542 times

Advertisements

The demographics you are targeting is correct (Metallica and Alice in Chains fans are now in their late 30's early to mid 40's). The area you are looking at is more suited for country bars than rock. The best place for a spot like that would be downtown Phoenix (growing scene right now - craft beer spots and a lot of hipsters).

All of the burbs minus Tempe (that is a different crowd but could work) should be ruled out because you really limit your regular clientele to that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 05:23 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,157,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
UNFAIR! You don't know a damned thing about that owner and this borders on slander. And what are you talking about that next door is another burnt down bar?

The Chip actually HAS the arsonist on video, so your accusations and assumptions are absolutely uncalled for and unnecessary roughness. That bar was a museum and a legacy in the area. It was the townhall/crackerbarrel/place to meet for families for 65 years. There were photos on all the walls of former customers who hung out there, including the woman who helped settle Carefree, along with their boots, photos, her dress, and other memorabilia. The ceilings and walls held museum quality artifacts. Larry Wendt loved that bar and he loved running it. This fire nearly killed him. He's a good man and would never in a million years put 160 people out of work, especially since almost 90 of them are single parents who were supporting their families with that job. It was right before the holidays and the beginning of the most profitable season for all the venues up there. I hate it when people toss off slanderous and libelous charges like that. Do we see a trend? Hell NO.
Chill Cowgirl!

Allow me to clarify. When I see a bar burn down, it makes my mind wander 100% of the time. Nothing more, nothing less. Owner arson is all too common. Actually, two of them in a row (at different times) burnt down in a VERY competitive area at different times. With that said, I googled a bunch of times and didn't see that they had a suspect on video. If the whole place burned down, how do they have the video?

But to be clear, I never said the owner had anything to do with burning down the "Chip" as you call it. It it fits a profile (bar fires are all too frequent). But if I wind up dead and it is deemed as foul play (and my wife collects on insurance), then I HOPE people look at the #1 suspect (my wife) with intensity. That doesn't mean my wife is guilty. But rather people will be suspicious.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:03 PM

8 posts, read 7,709 times
Thank you all for the comprehensive feedback! We'll definitely check out the places you are talking about. Last weekend, we were out at the rock bar. There were ~500 people in the place for an AC/DC cover band. I'm not a big AC/DC fan but we had a blast. We racked up a lovely bar tab, and we were close to the youngest people in the place. There were probably a few 30-somethings but it was mostly affluent 40's-50's, about 60-70% married (or so it appeared) and more on the upscale. Never been to Harolds but we definitely need to check it out. As for the location, i had been considering near where the Toby Keith bar had been. South of Carefree Highway for sure. Maybe I really mean North Scottsdale. Something outside of the 101 or near it. But I don't think i could get any farther north than Dynamite or Jomax. Which themselves may be too far north already. So the consensus is not to bother wasting the money. Is there anything that the area needs that would be a good mix? Pool Tables / Darts / Pinball Machines / bar / with periodic rock music? Ditch the games and do just a bar? I don't want to cater to the open mike night type crowds... for live music, i want rock and roll music. The good kind. But if people don't like that in the area then i ought not to consider it. Still brainstorming and would love more feedback. Thank you! JD

Old 02-09-2016, 10:50 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,093 times
Forget Phoenix. We need a place like that in Albuquerque.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:42 AM

6 posts, read 27,165 times
There are so many bars and such out here that you have to have a hook or a niche. I don't go to stuffy uppity places for the most part. I go to live music places and biker bars since I ride and that's who I hang out with. But I've seen so many places start out great guns and then fail within a year when the entertainment is lacking or the next "new" place comes along

Old 02-10-2016, 09:56 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,604,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Forget Phoenix. We need a place like that in Albuquerque.
Too hard and expensive to get a liquor license in New Mexico (A million bucks to sell booze? Liquor licenses in New Mexico definitely top-shelf - Watchdog.org).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area