Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2016, 09:08 PM

4 posts, read 3,190 times

Advertisements

Not in a hurry to move but looking ahead we're curious about Phoenix as a potential place to settle down, pretty much permanently. I've moved a lot in my life and I'm a bit fatigued by it (I'm 27 and lived in 10 cities in 8 states, not including 4 more cities and 2 provinces in Argentina).

Culture----
My wife isn't religious. I'm not either, but I am a Formon (former Mormon) and unlike an ex-mo, I have no ill-will or negative disposition toward the LDS church - but that being said I'd still prefer to be somewhere where being Mormon isn't a major part of the culture so I'm not looked at like I have horns on my head (I get a mix from the Utah Mormons I've met since separating from the church, about 1 in 3 acts weird about it - Mormons from outside of Utah don't seem to care at all with only a few notable exceptions like Rexburg Mormons).

We fancy ourselves as classical liberals, don't mind taxes but want the tax revenue used for things that benefit the whole, like infrastructure or education. Obviously, with competing agendas on either end, this is not going to be perfectly attainable. But we would still prefer to live somewhere with like-minded individuals who hold elected officials accountable.

Lastly, but importantly, I love hockey. I live and breathe hockey.

Climate----
My wife likes a lot of sun. I can take it or leave it, what I don't tolerate well is cold and wet - so winter rainy seasons are not for me (I lived in CO for a long time so I actually like snow because I can stay mostly dry in snow).

Sprawl----
Here I'm more particular than the wife. She just doesn't want too much crowding. Me though, I like public transit (preferably rail) and being able to walk everywhere. I walked my entire Mormon mission and it's just part of who I am now. If I'm driving I'd prefer it to be because I'm going out of town, I'm picking up something too big to carry any meaningful distance, or I've started a new career as a rally racer

Costs----
We're currently renting a 1 bed/1 ba (+study/bed) w/ 940 sq ft for about $1,400/mo. I'm okay staying in that price range for housing maybe even going up a bit considering I'd be able to save money on other expenses.

Taking this stuff into account, here are my questions:

How Mormon is Phoenix? (like crazy, won't ever talked to you again because you let them watch an R rated movie at your house and didn't tell them it was R rated Mormon or is the Mormon culture more relaxed, like happy to DD and hangout at a bar to watch a game while cussing at the ref Mormon)

Are people political? If so do they tend towards extremes or do they see both sides?

How is the hockey scene? Obviously you've got the Yotes, but are the fans devoted? Is there a competitive adult hockey scene?

Does it rain a lot in winter? I know it doesn't rain much generally, but does is winter when it rains the most?

How is the rail system?

If I lived downtown are there plenty of amenities (groceries, restaurants, parks) within walking distance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 08:38 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,438,965 times
Phoenix is not Mormon influenced in terms of city government, unlike suburbs like Gilbert and Mesa. It isn't just the percentage of Mormon population in those places (it's less in Gilbert than many people think) but the percentage of LDS on the city/town counciis and city department heads in those places. I've been a Fromon for decades, so I know of what you speak. Lots of LDS still in my family.

IMO, it's Tempe for you, especially if the rumored plan to have a hockey arena for the NHL Coyotes and ASU hockey team built in Tempe come to pass.

The Coyotes have a devoted core of fans, but a checkered history in terms of ownership, bullding an arena in the wrong area, bad relationship with the city of Glendale.

Tempe is generally less conservative than other areas of the Valley. A lot going on in the downtown area with the Marina Heights development along Town Lake, with the regional State Farm HQ going in there.

Best public transit in the Valley, including easy access to downtown. You might not walk to a grocery, depending on exactly where you live, but you can take a free circulator bus in areas north of US 60. Transit map and info here www.valleymetro.org

Seven inches of rain in a whole year. Yes, most of it comes in the winter months and, if we are lucky, we get some rain with the monsoon thunderstorms in summer.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:41 AM

4 posts, read 3,190 times
Good call, Tempe actually looks awesome and I love how the river goes right through it, beautiful. And that's also really a good sign (at least in my opinion) that they are expanding the rail system, too many cities have one and call it good, letting the thing go for 20 years before finally realizing it no longer fits the cities needs but now requires major and expensive improvements that could have been had piecemeal if they had kept it up to date to begin with.

And that was my main concern with the Yotes... they've had a lot of up and down seasons (including talks of relocation out of AZ) and over the past few years have been treated like a place to catch a cheap game. I'm hoping with Domi, Duclair, and Dominque they can win a Cup in the next few years and cement their place in AZ. Afterall it's worked for the Canes and they've been terrible pretty much ever since they won.

I guess with only getting 7 in/year in rainfall, even if it is during winter, I can tolerate that more easily compared to the 22 in I'm getting now exclusively from Nov to Jan.

Thanks, for your comment, very helpful, +1.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:57 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,596,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionizeTheKing View Post
Good call, Tempe actually looks awesome and I love how the river goes right through it, beautiful. And that's also really a good sign (at least in my opinion) that they are expanding the rail system, too many cities have one and call it good, letting the thing go for 20 years before finally realizing it no longer fits the cities needs but now requires major and expensive improvements that could have been had piecemeal if they had kept it up to date to begin with.

And that was my main concern with the Yotes... they've had a lot of up and down seasons (including talks of relocation out of AZ) and over the past few years have been treated like a place to catch a cheap game. I'm hoping with Domi, Duclair, and Dominque they can win a Cup in the next few years and cement their place in AZ. Afterall it's worked for the Canes and they've been terrible pretty much ever since they won.

I guess with only getting 7 in/year in rainfall, even if it is during winter, I can tolerate that more easily compared to the 22 in I'm getting now exclusively from Nov to Jan.

Thanks, for your comment, very helpful, +1.
Observer gave you the advice you needed. Keep in mind winter is warm, and sunny most of the time. It's perpetual 70's and sunshine 90% of winter. You'll usually only need a sweater in the mornings and late nights. The other 10% can be cold (Like mid 50's highs)and rainy. Today is in the 50's and gray. I love it personally. OTOH I wish the icy wind didn't come along with it. I love cool weather, wind chill not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area