Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 02:53 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My wife and I are currently living in the Memphis/North Mississippi area, and, well, we hate it.

We have thought about a number of different places to move to, and Arizona is one place that keeps popping back up. It'll be about two or three years before all the holes in the swiss cheese line up for us to move, but it also gives us time to research.

There are a few things in particular we're looking for, and I'm curious to know what suburbs would offer this, as well as whether or not I should just look elsewhere.

1. We are dog lovers. We can't have children of our own so our dogs have taken their place in our hearts. They're big dogs, all rescues, and we'd like to be able to hike, go to the park, and swim (they love swimming).

2. Fairly close to the airport. I am an aircraft mechanic, so that's where I'll be working. I don't mind a little bit of a commute as long as it's consistent. In other words, I don't want it to be 45 minutes one day, and if there's an accident it's a five-hour trip. I understand that bad things happen, but as long as I can pretty consistently peg my drive to work, I'll be happy.

3. I am also finishing up my software engineering degree. I have no intention (yet) of changing career fields, but I would like to have a "backup" in mind should something bad ever happen in my current career (injury, station closed down, etc...) As such, the ideal scenario would be that if I did ever have to change jobs, it's merely a change in where I drive to work each day - and that we don't have to move along with the new job. In other words - close to airport but not far from tech companies in the area. I'm also not opposed to maybe supplementing my income by doing small contract jobs for local software companies to gain experience. On the flip side, if I did move into the software industry, I'd still like to be able to exercise my mechanic licenses by doing the occasional job at the airport.

4. We have an ideal budget of around $300k but I can go as high as $400k if I really had to. I'd really prefer to stay in the low to mid $300's though. Big on the list is not really the size of the home, but that it meets our criteria, and, well.... Gotta have a pool!

5. Then there's the obvious - low crime, good communities, etc... etc...

6. No, the heat does not bother me. I've worked outdoors in both extreme heat and extreme cold. I'll take 130 on the airport ramp over -20 any day of the week! In fact, if I never have to wear a jacket again I'll be perfectly content!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 12:36 PM

4 posts, read 2,675 times
Hi there...

Sounds like you have a plan, and it could be some time before you get to AZ, but it sounds like you're done with the cold! There are many options for you - areas such as Scottsdale, Tempe & Phoenix. We also have large dogs who love to swim, too! They are GoldenDoodles & we can't keep them out of our pool!

Cheers!

Old 02-03-2016, 01:04 PM

720 posts, read 734,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Hello!

My wife and I are currently living in the Memphis/North Mississippi area, and, well, we hate it.

We have thought about a number of different places to move to, and Arizona is one place that keeps popping back up. It'll be about two or three years before all the holes in the swiss cheese line up for us to move, but it also gives us time to research.

There are a few things in particular we're looking for, and I'm curious to know what suburbs would offer this, as well as whether or not I should just look elsewhere.

1. We are dog lovers. We can't have children of our own so our dogs have taken their place in our hearts. They're big dogs, all rescues, and we'd like to be able to hike, go to the park, and swim (they love swimming).
Lots of airports not just Sky Harbor - so you'll have choices. Phoenix-Mesa Gateway has lots going on, and of course there's Scottsdale airport, etc. Your price point is good for todays prices... I suggest making the trip out here and scouting it so you can either confirm your desire to move here or check it off your list.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:16 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
What aircraft repair do you specialize in? Small engine? Turbofan? Commercial or private aircraft? Im assuming youll be working at Sky Harbor if you get the job? If so, Tempe, Chandler, and Scottsdale are all highly recommended. Oh, and definitely bring a jacket, this aint the Florida Keys. lol This morning there were sub-freezing lows all over the Valley. Its not as warm as most would think. Daytime highs are generally pleasant, though.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:47 PM

656 posts, read 813,291 times
East Phoenix (Camelback Corridor) puts you minutes away from the airport, and you are near plenty of shopping.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:48 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Check out aeroturbine in Goodyear. They do aircraft repair, maintenance, refurbishing. Dozens and dozens of big (up to 747's) planes are parked there in various states. Goodyear is a great place to live, too.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:05 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,360 times
Quote:
I am part of the "my kids have paws" club, too

Quote:
2. Fairly close to the airport. I am an aircraft mechanic, so that's where I'll be working. I don't mind a little bit of a commute as long as it's consistent. In other words, I don't want it to be 45 minutes one day, and if there's an accident it's a five-hour trip. I understand that bad things happen, but as long as I can pretty consistently peg my drive to work, I'll be happy.
Tempe

Quote:
3. I am also finishing up my software engineering degree. I have no intention (yet) of changing career fields, but I would like to have a "backup" in mind should something bad ever happen in my current career (injury, station closed down, etc...) As such, the ideal scenario would be that if I did ever have to change jobs, it's merely a change in where I drive to work each day - and that we don't have to move along with the new job. In other words - close to airport but not far from tech companies in the area. I'm also not opposed to maybe supplementing my income by doing small contract jobs for local software companies to gain experience. On the flip side, if I did move into the software industry, I'd still like to be able to exercise my mechanic licenses by doing the occasional job at the airport.
Tempe or Chandler (Chandler has a lot of high tech companies with lots of entry level jobs). Scottsdale has SW eng jobs, too, but the way it was explained to me in terms of SW engineering, Scottsdale has more front end and web developing jobs. Chandler is the go to place for back end developing.

Quote:
4. We have an ideal budget of around $300k but I can go as high as $400k if I really had to. I'd really prefer to stay in the low to mid $300's though. Big on the list is not really the size of the home, but that it meets our criteria, and, well.... Gotta have a pool!
You can get a helluva house with your budget. For just under $300K, you can get a nice 3 bedroom 2 bathroom home with a pool in Tempe or Chandler.

Quote:
5. Then there's the obvious - low crime, good communities, etc... etc...
Tempe (or Chandler)

Quote:
6. No, the heat does not bother me. I've worked outdoors in both extreme heat and extreme cold. I'll take 130 on the airport ramp over -20 any day of the week! In fact, if I never have to wear a jacket again I'll be perfectly content!
Sounds like you'll fit in well
Go for it. start packing

Old 02-03-2016, 08:25 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,404 times
Scottsdale.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:36 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
Awesome answers everyone! Thank you so much for all the replies.

To answer a few other questions... I work for a major airline on commercial aircraft - 757, 767, 777, etc... though I think only our 757's fly into Phoenix. So, I'll definitely be working out of Sky Harbor (PHX). Aviation is a funny business in that job postings are done exclusively by seniority, so it doesn't matter if you're the best mechanic in the world or the laziest piece of crap aviation has ever seen, it's all dependent on how long you've been a mechanic at the company. There are a lot of elderly mechanics in the Phoenix area I project to be retiring in the next few years, and by my best guesstimation as to where I stand with my company seniority, I have an OK to good shot at being able to go to Phoenix. That's one of the reasons I have to wait a few years. The other is that I don't want to move until I finish my degree.

I did have a few other questions... What are the property taxes like in the area? Say... Tempe or Scottsdale? Here in Mississippi I think they're some of the lowest in the country so I don't want to budget for an 'X' value home based on what my monthly property tax payment here is only to find out that it doubles my mortgage payment.

And, also, I know you just can't make some people happy, but what is the thing you like least about living in the Phoenix area?

Old 02-05-2016, 03:05 PM

720 posts, read 734,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Awesome answers everyone! Thank you so much for all the replies.

To answer a few other questions... I work for a major airline on commercial aircraft - 757, 767, 777, etc... though I think only our 757's fly into Phoenix. So, I'll definitely be working out of Sky Harbor (PHX). Aviation is a funny business in that job postings are done exclusively by seniority, so it doesn't matter if you're the best mechanic in the world or the laziest piece of crap aviation has ever seen, it's all dependent on how long you've been a mechanic at the company. There are a lot of elderly mechanics in the Phoenix area I project to be retiring in the next few years, and by my best guesstimation as to where I stand with my company seniority, I have an OK to good shot at being able to go to Phoenix. That's one of the reasons I have to wait a few years. The other is that I don't want to move until I finish my degree.

I did have a few other questions... What are the property taxes like in the area? Say... Tempe or Scottsdale? Here in Mississippi I think they're some of the lowest in the country so I don't want to budget for an 'X' value home based on what my monthly property tax payment here is only to find out that it doubles my mortgage payment.

And, also, I know you just can't make some people happy, but what is the thing you like least about living in the Phoenix area?
Phoenix Sky Harbor it is then!! You'll love South Mountain hiking with your dogs - loved living in Ahwatukee area and so close to the airport - Can find a 2ksf home 3bedr/2bath for $250k taxes depending on sq ftg and area around $1500-$2500/year. Tempe Lakes is nice also, and South Scottdale plenty to do!! !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area