Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2016, 06:35 PM

9 posts, read 17,399 times

Advertisements

My family and I have decided to move to the Phoenix area in the next couple of months. Initially, it was between Northern California and Phoenix but, gosh, housing is so darn expensive in Nor Cal! My husband and I are both in the wine industry and work from home. We have a daughter in college and a son who is in the 4th grade. That being said, we are looking for a good school district. We are not relying solely on the public school system. Private schools might also be a considered if we found a town that we really liked, but the public schools weren't too great.

Now, let me also say that we lived in Scottsdale about 19 years ago or so and are NOT interested in living in that area. To me, it's just not down to Earth enough. If it has completely changed in the past 19 years, please let me know because I love the Mid Century Modern homes that were there We are also not interested in living in a "suburban jungle" for lack of better words. We just want a little space between our neighbors. We like people...a lot...just don't want to be on top of each other. I just want to be in a community where the ties are strong, but not overbearing.

I have heard a little about Agri-something...I think it's somewhere on the edges of Gilbert? It looks cool, like stuff that we like...farmer's markets, laid back vibe, etc. I just don't want to move to Hipster-land I have also been looking at Gold Canyon...very scenic! And then, I did this dumb quiz "Which Valley Community Should You Live In" and my results were Goodyear/Litchfield Park.

Clearly, I have no direction LOL! I was truly appreciate any advice that anyone could give me! Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 10:04 PM

299 posts, read 441,895 times
Hi! Welcome to AZ

I am pretty young, 22... but I lived in Northern California most of my life. I recently came to Arizona and I've been here about a year. I mainly relocated because my boyfriend has a job here and because I got in-state tuition for my masters degree at ASU I also got a pretty good job here in Phoenix.

I graduated from a state school in Sonoma (Northern Cali, Wine Country) and I miss it SO much! Seriously... Sonoma/ Wine Country is the place to be.

I would move back there in a heart-beat, but like you said.. holy hell, housing is EXPENSIVE! I'm definitely looking at re-locating to California after my degree though... 2 more years!

My boyfriend and I live in Gilbert. I LOVE Agritopia in Gilbert... I go to "The Coffee Shop" there pretty often. The houses there are adorable... you'll find a lot of adobe style, all the same looking-type of houses in PHX metro...Lotttsss of brown. But, Agritopia has some of my favorite houses. They look a lot more like the houses I've seen in Northern California and the East Coast when I visited. All the houses are different... it's a SUPER cute, clean safe suburb. Like I said, I visit there a lot because it reminds me of home (Northern Cali).

If I were you, I would try to find a way to make California work... :P but if that's absolutely not an option, try Agritopia. Gilbert has been one of my favorite places in the Valley. Although the commute to DT Phoenix every day can be pretty ****ty (it takes me about 30-35 minutes everyday). One positive to Arizona is that you get a LOT more bang for your buck, housing-wise. NICE houses in Agritopia I've seen go for about 350-400k... most houses in Downtown Sonoma (where my parents live) are selling for around 600-850k or more and they're a LOT older! Granted the nature around Sonoma is so beautiful and I think SF (as the nearby city) is a LOT cooler than Phoenix, but... there's definitely pros and cons for each place.

Take into consideration the Summers here PLEASE before you move! They are oppressive, awful and last about 4 months.... I love being outdoors and you just CAN'T in the summer... or you will fry like an egg

Old 02-08-2016, 09:24 PM

9 posts, read 17,399 times
Thank you so much for the kind and insightful reply! You certainly don't sound like a typical 22 year old! Must be that Northern California upbringing Good to hear about Agritopia. Sounds really nice and refreshing for Arizona. I'm still not 100% on Arizona...my heart will always be in Napa/Sonoma area. To me, it's Heaven on Earth. "If I were you, I would try to find a way to make California work..." Yes, still thinking about that. I do like Arizona, but it's not Ca. However, should things not work out that way, I am very happy to hear that Agritopia is a really nice, unique little town.

The Summer thing is fine in Arizona. When we lived there many years ago, I got to experience pregnancy during a ridiculously hot summer! Ugh LOL! We are on the East Coast now...we have blizzards where we are kind of trapped for days. I guess every place has its thing!

Thanks again for your help! Very appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area