Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 07:17 PM

872 posts, read 999,561 times

Advertisements

Anyone wanna share some insight on the metro hospitals, medium to large ones

I lived there for 8 years but only really experienced St Joseph's and Scottsdale Shea Hospital and they were pretty good from what I can remember, as a patient

Anyone work in any hospital? I am just wondering as I look at jobs in the near future for moving back to Phoenix some day soon!! But don't know much about the rep of hospitals besides the obvious Mayo Clinic

I am sure the job market is doing well in that field down there too

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 07:44 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,595,185 times
Banner is huge and has many hospitals. I couldn't think if a better market in your field than the valley honestly. My brother was in Banner Desert late last week. I went to the Cafeteria (which resembles a mall food court btw, I ate at wannabe Chipotle and it was damn good) I than proceeded to get lost. ... That whole hospital complex is bigger than anything in San Diego, and I know it's one of many around here.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:22 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,733,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post

I lived there for 8 years but only really experienced St Joseph's and Scottsdale Shea Hospital and they were pretty good from what I can remember, as a patient

Anyone work in any hospital? I am just wondering as I look at jobs in the near future for moving back to Phoenix some day soon!! But don't know much about the rep of hospitals besides the obvious Mayo Clinic

Thanks
St Joe is under Dignity Health now and I believe they have 3 facilities in the valley. Banner, as always, is the big boy in town with many facilities. And then the Mayo Clinic facilities in Scottsdale. I think that covers the big players.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:38 AM

47 posts, read 54,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post

Thanks
Scottsdale Shea (along with Osborn and Thompson Peak) is now part of the HonorHealth system.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:40 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
St Joe is under Dignity Health now and I believe they have 3 facilities in the valley. Banner, as always, is the big boy in town with many facilities. And then the Mayo Clinic facilities in Scottsdale. I think that covers the big players.
I believe that Dignity is simply a renaming of Catholic Healthcare West, so that is not a change.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:11 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,685,213 times
I'm a nursing student & I've had a chance to do clinicals @ Honor /Deer Valley, Mayo, St Joes, Banner /Thunderbird, Banner /Good Sam & Phoenix Children's. Most of my clinicals were a few days or a week, bouncing from area to area, I certainly didn't meet anyone who really hated their environment. Mayo & Phoenix Children's seemed to be the "gold star" places to work, St Joe's seems to have a lower "rep" amongst the other students & I'm not even sure why (location maybe?).. The Banner facilities seemed a little more "corporate".. kinda reminded me of my days working for General Motors. That said, I'd work for any of them.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:42 PM

805 posts, read 2,000,984 times
I work in a valley hospital. Some choices would be Honor Health (J.c.Lincoln and Scottsdale Healthcare hospitals) Mayo, Phoenix Childrens, Dignity health/St. Joes, Banner, Abrazo (arrowhead, paradise valley, phoenix Baptist, west valley, Arizona heart)
there is also CTCA (cancer treatment centers of America) and County. I'm not personally familiar with either, but an associate of mine works at CTCA and absolutely loves the environment. County may have its own set of challenges, but it has a fantastic burn unit and trauma center.

Any of them will be realistically okay. One "network" on that list is for profit so that is something to keep in mind. But Docs, nurses, etc at any hospital get pretty much the same training and education. I've heard good and bad experiences from every single one of them.

I like Honor Health most because I feel very comfortable being treated at their facilities, I like their insurance plans, and the childrens ER at John C Lincoln Deer Valley would be convenient for me.
Mayo and Childrens are specialty facilities with some state of the art stuff going on. Would be an interesting environment and some of their patients are high needs/very critical.
St. Joes seems highly regarded in my field and most people who work there end up retiring from there.
Banner, while the largest employer in AZ has at least in my situation woefully underpaid in certain fields so that was no longer an option for me.
Abrazo has been trying to change its image for a while, it was recently bought by another group in the past year or so. Seems that money gets stretched a little farther as it is a for profit entity. Not a fan of their insurance packages.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:20 PM

872 posts, read 999,561 times
Yah I'd love to be at children's or the Scottsdale shea hospital, seem to have high approval ratings from patients and employees. I current work for Conifer and they are in abrazo but I'm not sure Id wanna transfer

Old 02-13-2016, 02:06 PM

848 posts, read 967,452 times
We had our first baby in 2013 at Kaiser in Santa Clara CA. We had our second one last May at Mercy Gilbert in Gilbert by 202 & Val Vista. I was deeply concerned before going there about the gigantic cross on the roof. I didn't want to have decisions looked down on or politely criticized and didn't want any denominational things pressured on to us or forced down our throat. So I was very relieved when our experience was identical to what it was at Kaiser. It was the same treatment and you wouldn't even be able to tell it was such a religious-seeming facility aside from all the little crosses all over the place.

As a patient, it was a very solid experience with everyone being very nice. Really nice looking place too, inside and out.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:59 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
We had our first baby in 2013 at Kaiser in Santa Clara CA. We had our second one last May at Mercy Gilbert in Gilbert by 202 & Val Vista. I was deeply concerned before going there about the gigantic cross on the roof. I didn't want to have decisions looked down on or politely criticized and didn't want any denominational things pressured on to us or forced down our throat. So I was very relieved when our experience was identical to what it was at Kaiser. It was the same treatment and you wouldn't even be able to tell it was such a religious-seeming facility aside from all the little crosses all over the place.

As a patient, it was a very solid experience with everyone being very nice. Really nice looking place too, inside and out.
Most denominational hospitals have abandoned the tactics of refusing certain medical procedures, abortion being the exception in some cases, because they want to avoid lawsuits.

Any medical facility with professionally-trained staff would be focusing on proper care for patients first and foremost regardless of their religious faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area