Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2016, 08:16 AM

8 posts, read 7,702 times

Advertisements

Hi live in a horrible neighborhood in queens N.Y. and I am looking to leave it I work in IT as well teach computers to senior's. I really want to relocate to Arizona preferably to Phoenix, I have a neighbor
who used to live there Was hoping maybe I could get some feed back on the job market in both IT and
retail As I have management experience in big box stores. I really don't want to spend more than $700.00
on a studio apartment, and would like to know if this is realistic number.

I would consider a room mate as I am on a budget I really would appreciate any advise anyone can give me. the neighborhood I live in is like living in a prison.

Regards,
Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 08:24 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,144,428 times
Don;

"IT" is a big space, what are you specialized in? $700 for a studio should be doable even in nicer areas, although the rental market out here is pretty competitive....nothing like NYC of course...just be aware things gget rented quickly.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:53 AM

720 posts, read 734,167 times
That realization of I gotta get the $&^% outta here - yes I've been there on an August day in NYC smell of urine in hot musty tunnels - constant subway noise, crowds of mad faces, constant sirens in the background ... enter paradise - the best decision I made - look at apartments.com you'll find a lot of apts in the $700. I used to be in IT so shouldn't be difficult - hook up with an employment agency - send them your resume - set up a bunch of interviews first by phone, and second interviews in person - come out for a few days, rent a car, scope out areas/rentals, and accept a job - that simple! Best of luck!!!

Old 02-24-2016, 11:38 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times
IT jobs are pretty abundant depending on what specifically and even then there are places that will hire current IT professionals and train them for their needs. An example is my brother-in-law got hired at AmEx or Discover or one of them cards and all he had was help desk experience for 10 years. They hired him and sent him to networking stuff through GCC while training him on their systems with the only requiremt was to get certified in a year. This all happened in 2015.

As for housing you should be fine on $700 for a 1 bedroom in most areas and a studio in others, my cousin rents a 2 bedroom around Arrowhead and pays $850 after taxes and let rent, and yes there may be taxes depending on the city.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:43 AM

163 posts, read 206,939 times
Hey Don - I moved out here from Dutchess County NY almost 2 years ago now and its one of the best decisions I've made. No regrets at all! I work for myself so I can't speak to the job market but the cost of living (including rent and home prices) is significantly less than NY and apartments are everywhere. Good luck with the move!

Old 02-24-2016, 11:45 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,995 times
I just moved in to an decent apt, 6/7 out of 10, in a decent area, got a free month on a year lease, water sewer and trash included on this 682 sq ft 1 bdroom for $680 a month. Not the best deal, but found this last minute with a free move in, and moved in the same day.

When I first got here (3 yrs ago) , I had a studio 452sq ft, in a cheap complex in a busy area (lots of businesses, could walk to a lot of places nearby) for $350 a month.

($700 with everything should not be difficult at all).

Theres seniors everywhere, have you taken a quick look at sun city? 55+ residential city on the north west side, although theres 55+ communities all over the valley.

I thought there were a couple schools in the north phoenix area that were in that field, not sure what the competition or availability would be.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:37 PM

8 posts, read 7,702 times
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone I really appreciate the feedback Kurt AZ in my current job I do helpdesk
as well as instruct seniors and under privileged children. They learn everything form Microsoft office to building
computers, as well as learning to set up cisco routers through putty. I hold the following certification's A+ Network+
Security+ Microsoft MCSA and Cisco CCENT. I am also familiar with converting video into images building Custom computers and Servers. Can anyone recommend any employment agencies or any company's in particular that I might forward my resume to. Once again I really appreciate all of the positive responses.

Regards,
Don

Old 02-24-2016, 04:30 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times
Dice.com for tech jobs, you should already know this if you are in the industry. For help desk within 30 miles of Phoenix there is currently 242 listings.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:09 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Dice.com for tech jobs, you should already know this if you are in the industry. For help desk within 30 miles of Phoenix there is currently 242 listings.
I prefer Indeed.com myself. Dice has become...well....kinda dicey lately, but still better than Monster or (ugh) Careerbuilder.

(30 yrs IT here).

OP, if you DM me I will send you a link to my company's employment site, we have several openings that might interest you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: