Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,459 times

Advertisements

Hi, guys.

I'm moving to Arizona next month and I already found a descent apartment to rent, which is 3rd floor. I didn't really care a thing because that was the only unit I could rent at that time, but now there has been more options such as 2nd floor and 1st floor.

I would avoid both 1st and 2nd floor units since I am VERY sensitive to noise of footsteps. But I was told usually 3rd floor units in Arizona get much more bills for A/C than 1st or 2nd floor units since the sun hits 3rd floor first.

I have never lived in a hot area before, so I can't really imagine if that's true to even consider. If it does get much hotter, how much usually did you or do you pay for A/C?

Thanks, guys.

Last edited by mightymatty; 02-24-2016 at 05:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 05:03 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,259 times
My 2 bedroom 2 bath on the 2nd floor (top floor in my building) averages between $200-$300 in the hot months and I keep it comfortable (68-70) when I'm home. I also get sun exposure on 3 sides since I only share 1 common wall. November, December and January this year have all been under $100. This Feb bill is over $100 but, I don't remember running a/c as much this time last year. This is a 1985 building with dual pane windows. I'd bet you'd save by living below someone. It's added insulation for sure.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:13 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times
Its not just that you get the sun first, cause its still cool, but depending on the location you may get the sun for a little longer late in the afternoon when its hottest. However, that only lasts 5-15 minutes at the most. What will matter more is who lives below you. Heat rises, If the people below you keep it hot, or keep it hotter during the day, your place will get hotter. That will matter more than a few extra minutes of sun.

My electric bills during the winter are $40-$50 a month.. For a few months In the summer time, (June, July, & August) when its 90 degrees from 8 am ill 9 pm, and over 100 degrees from 10 am till 7pm.. your bill will probably be closer to $150-$200 a month if you keep your ac at a moderate level 72-75.. If you like it cold your ac will be on almost constantly in an apt, and if you like it below 70 you will be over $200 a month.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:20 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
There are plenty of considerations beyond which floor you are on. How good are the windows/insulation/weatherstripping? How new is the a/c unit and how well is it maintained?

If possible, ask some people living in the building what they are paying.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
There are plenty of considerations beyond which floor you are on. How good are the windows/insulation/weatherstripping? How new is the a/c unit and how well is it maintained?

If possible, ask some people living in the building what they are paying.
Why? Those are going to be the same no matter what floor you live on. They all ready know where they want to live, just not what floor they want to live on.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:48 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Why? Those are going to be the same no matter what floor you live on. They all ready know where they want to live, just not what floor they want to live on.
Not necessarily - I've seen some pretty jacked-up a/c units at apartment complexes. It's not unusual at all to see brand new units & units old enough to vote hanging on the same apartment roof.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:11 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,230 times
IT depends on the roof and insulation they are using. Most summer heat actually comes from the attic and not the windows.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:40 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Not necessarily - I've seen some pretty jacked-up a/c units at apartment complexes. It's not unusual at all to see brand new units & units old enough to vote hanging on the same apartment roof.
Certainly true. A friend of mine constantly complained about his summer electric bill. The apartment management of course would not replace the unit as long as it was running. Once it failed and they installed a new system for him the bills dropped dramatically.

With this in mind, it would be useful to know the historical electric bills of a particular unit, but I doubt one can get that information.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:44 PM

488 posts, read 856,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymatty View Post
Hi, guys.

I'm moving to Arizona next month and I already found a descent apartment to rent, which is 3rd floor. I didn't really care a thing because that was the only unit I could rent at that time, but now there has been more options such as 2nd floor and 1st floor.

I would avoid both 1st and 2nd floor units since I am VERY sensitive to noise of footsteps. But I was told usually 3rd floor units in Arizona get much more bills for A/C than 1st or 2nd floor units since the sun hits 3rd floor first.

I have never lived in a hot area before, so I can't really imagine if that's true to even consider. If it does get much hotter, how much usually did you or do you pay for A/C?

Thanks, guys.
I don't know if I'm paying more than my downstairs neighbour, but my highest bill was $200 during the hottest month. This was keeping it at 80 during the peak time (using ceiling fans of course), 75 from 7pm until bedtime, and 70-ish while sleeping. This was for a top floor 1100 sq ft apartment with only one common wall.

I can tell you right now though, if you're "VERY sensitive to the noise of footsteps", then you had better make that your priority because higher bills will be worth it to you. I spend a lot of time in the renting forum and I see people whine every day about "loud walkers". So, either accept the noise, pay more, or get a house, because renters do not like to be told they have to tiptoe because of someone who can't stand any kind of noise at all, but still rents apartments. Not at all trying to be rude, just being honest.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
IT depends on the roof and insulation they are using. Most summer heat actually comes from the attic and not the windows.
were talking about an apartment complex in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area