Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,334 times

Advertisements

Hello all, first time poster here.
I've spent a couple hours perusing the threads about Arizona the last few days and have a few questions.

I am 26 and thinking of relocating to Arizona from Washington State in about 11 months time, and going to an HVAC school in/near Phoenix. Primarily I'm looking at relocating for better gun laws and just to get the f--- out of this state and into better weather.

I've been seeing a lot on here that the cost of living is much cheaper than most other places in the United States, but that other things such as Insurance and a few other things are much more expensive, I guess I'm just trying to figure out what it is more expensive in relation to. Washington State has a ridiculously high cost of living, so I'm just trying to ballpark here and see if our definitions of expensive are the same. Any sort of numbers on things you'd consider expensive would be a huge help.

I am really into outdoors stuff, shooting, dirtbiking, exploring, hiking and just generally being outside. How far away would I have to drive from downtown Phoenix to get to an area where all of that is possible? I've only ever been to Arizona once to Scottsdale and never went more than 2 miles from where I was staying, and my perception of the state is just vast deserts everywhere. Other than that I don't know a whole lot about it geographically. Would I be able to just wander into the desert about an hour outside of town? Closer?

Like I said above, I'm looking at getting into the HVAC field, I assume Arizona would be a prime area for this being so damn hot and all. Would any of you happen to know if its an over-saturated market?

Are there any areas that I should absolutely stay away from potentially moving to in the Phoenix area? I saw a lot of the rental prices and $600-$800/month for a 2 bedroom seems fantastic compared to a 1 bedroom for $1,200 in the city I live in currently. I'd rather not find something online, sign a contract, and find out I now live in a ghetto. Obviously I will do some research before jumping on a property but a list of places to watch out for would be great.

Thanks for any information in advance. I f you have any more questions about me that could help you answer my questions please feel free to ask.

Last edited by PNK Trip; 03-15-2016 at 05:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 05:31 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,962,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNK Trip View Post
I am really into outdoors stuff, shooting, dirtbiking, exploring, hiking and just generally being outside. How far away would I have to drive from downtown Phoenix to get to an area where all of that is possible? I've only ever been to Arizona once to Scottsdale and never went more than 2 miles from where I was staying, and my perception of the state is just vast deserts everywhere. Other than that I don't know a whole lot about it geographically. Would I be able to just wander into the desert about an hour outside of town? Closer?
You will fit right in. A lot of the mountain ranges in city limits are good for hiking and biking only.

Dirt bikes and shooting will have to take place a little further out. I live in Gilbert and I can choose one of 3 areas that are pretty good and are 45-60 minutes away (San Tan Mts, Outskirts on the Supestitions, or the 4 peaks area)

In about 2 hours I can be in much cooler forested areas during the summer.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:14 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,083,100 times
1. Semi-related, hope you have had your fill of good seafood.

2. There are several good mountains to go hiking in the city limits, I can probably think of half a dozen popular mountain trailheads within 20-30 minutes of downtown. Shooting, no more than an hour in almost every direction, and that's not even a range.

4. Nearly every area in the city will have great places within a couple miles of some really cheap spots. That question would be much easier to answer once you know where you'll be going to school.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:56 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,749,772 times
[quote=adriver;43371086]

What's with the seafood comment? Angry Crab, Salt Cellar, Wild Ocean Seafood Market & Grille, Blue Water Grill, Maestros Ocean Club... just to name a few. I spent a good chunk of my life in Boston and while I won't say it's got the plethora of in your face seafood a place right on the water does, there's certainly no problem finding most types of fresh seafood here. We are inland, but not that far.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:54 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,058,346 times
OP, you mention that Washington State is so expensive, but you don't indicate where in WA you are? Seattle metro?
I doubt east of the mountains is that expensive (like Spokane.)

The HVAC service industry is big here and companies advertise their services on TV all the time here. From what I've learned through talking with A/C techs here, installation of HVAC units is a young man's profession. It takes a lot of strength and endurance to be up in an attic here in the summer when it's 110 outside. So, I hope you're not overweight and out of shape.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:04 AM

163 posts, read 207,409 times
The cost of living is significantly lower than NY where I moved from but I can't compare to Washington. In a decent area you should see the cost of a 1 BR in the $700-800 range.

The only thing I've found to be more expensive here is car registration.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:08 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,981,618 times
HVAC in Phoenix? I would STRONGLY suggest you think twice before coming down here. Why, you ask? A/C breaks here all the time in the summer. Thats good for business, but bad for the body. I have a friend who does HVAC repair here, and he can share his horror stories of spending all day on a rooftop, on burning hot tiles, in 112 degree heat. Its not an easy job, so prepare yourself. YOu can also expect to be in 140 degree attics, many times with scorpions. hahaha Its not a job for the faint of heart, thats for sure. I guess just stay as hydrated as can be, cover yourself up with loose-fitting, white clothing, a wide-brimmed hat, sunscreen, etc?

Old 03-16-2016, 10:08 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,248,663 times
There are HCAC workers of all types, but uncle worked for a small outfit until retirement ..... It is great work though dealing in tight, hit areas in the summer

There are some mechanical contractors out here with a more commercial or industrial focus, those are an option as well if you don't want to spend your days servicing/installing residential units

Wages may be depressed compared to WA. However, housing is less than most of the state.

The shooting/biking had been touched on and I have nothing to add beyond confirming there are lots of options in the city and I wouldn't benchmark to downtown as the city is really the entire metro and downtown isn't all that important as a placeholder. The city sprawls and cubers a lot of geography. It can take an hour just to cover the city and that is with good traffic.

The other item is that just like how WA is more diverse than just the most known Seattle region, AZ is a lot more than desert. There are mountains to the north and east, you can get into both in a couple of hours. Still very dry territory, but places like Flagstaff get large annual snowfall totals and these places are much cooler in the summer. Very popular for hiking, camping, hunting, etc

As for seafood let's not kid ourselves. While Phoenix does have some good options, especially at higher price points. However, the quality of markets, availability, variety and lower price point options isn't even close. Again, I'm not saying you can't find anything in Phoenix as we are not that far from the water or points of entry..... But it is very different

Old 03-16-2016, 05:10 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,083,100 times
[quote=locolife;43374984]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post

What's with the seafood comment? Angry Crab, Salt Cellar, Wild Ocean Seafood Market & Grille, Blue Water Grill, Maestros Ocean Club... just to name a few. I spent a good chunk of my life in Boston and while I won't say it's got the plethora of in your face seafood a place right on the water does, there's certainly no problem finding most types of fresh seafood here. We are inland, but not that far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNK Trip View Post

I've been seeing a lot on here that the cost of living is much cheaper than most other places in the United States, but that other things such as Insurance and a few other things are much more expensive, I guess I'm just trying to figure out what it is more expensive in relation to. Washington State has a ridiculously high cost of living, so I'm just trying to ballpark here and see if our definitions of expensive are the same. Any sort of numbers on things you'd consider expensive would be a huge help.

In relation to cost of it here and compared to the quality of it everywhere.. Yes you can name a few, but its not like its that readily available here.. Its like if it were reversed and I said, I hope you've had your fill of tacos.. Yeah you can find em, but they won't be on every corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkbiz View Post
The cost of living is significantly lower than NY where I moved from but I can't compare to Washington. In a decent area you should see the cost of a 1 BR in the $700-800 range.

The only thing I've found to be more expensive here is car registration.
car registration?? I just did this recently for my truck, it was IIRC $28 for a year. It would have been $53 for 2 years.. Is this what you are referring to?

Old 03-16-2016, 05:40 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,248,663 times
Does that include the tax as well, because that is what people are talking about when they mention "registration"

I can't imagine how depreciated a vehicle would have to be to come under $30/yr

I don't think I'm even there with a 13 year old corolla
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area