Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 03:03 PM

8 posts, read 4,537 times

Advertisements

While it is only for a year, I am looking for it to be a fun exploratory year. I don't just want to settle because of the convenience of a commute. I am used to the commuter inconvenience. Even in considering Prescott, when I search 2 bedroom rental properties, I get all of like 12 properties and they do not look very welcoming. Looks like cost of living is also higher so perhaps that is limiting the results I obtain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 03:09 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,677,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychgal View Post
While it is only for a year, I am looking for it to be a fun exploratory year. I don't just want to settle because of the convenience of a commute. I am used to the commuter inconvenience. Even in considering Prescott, when I search 2 bedroom rental properties, I get all of like 12 properties and they do not look very welcoming. Looks like cost of living is also higher so perhaps that is limiting the results I obtain.
If you want to live where the action is, search in Arcadia, downtown Phoenix, north Tempe or south (Old Town) Scottsdale. None are a doable commute from Prescott Valley though. And there's nothing worth commuting from in north Phoenix.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:18 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,321,072 times
Quote:

If you want to have a fun exploratory year, don't waste up to 4 hours a day driving to live in north Phoenix. Experience and explore a smaller town and the surrounding area, and save the big city for weekend or day trips. Try something new!

You might even like it.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:24 PM

2,791 posts, read 7,470,488 times
Quote:
If one WAS to be set on residing in one of the northern Phoenix urban villages, where might one look?
The phrase "urban village" is sometimes used by Phoenix city government for planning purposes, but it has little actual meaning. Many of the so-called "urban villages" have no true urban center in the sense of a walkable, dense district at their core.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:31 PM

Haha my, you all are a tough and persistent bunch! Anyone from NYC? ��

Old 03-22-2016, 03:39 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,677,973 times
Quote:
You don't seem to understand what we're saying so we keep trying!

Old 03-22-2016, 03:48 PM

2,791 posts, read 7,470,488 times
Quote:
Westchester County -- not quite within the five boroughs, but close enough to understand an NYC point of view.

Nowhere in Arizona will match NYC in terms of density or urban feel, so Id suggest combining two approaches:

1) Find a place that might be smaller but still has a walkable, vibrant urban core. Prescott is like that -- more so than the northern portion of the Phoenix Metropolitan Area. Downtown Phoenix and Tempe are moving in the right direction, but are just too far from Prescott to make a commute viable.

2) Adopt a "When in Rome" approach and express your youthful, active lifestyle through activities like hiking Thumb Butte and kayaking Watson Lake in Prescott -- knowing that you can come to Phoenix for long weekends full of theater, shopping, and fine dining.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySofiaLila View Post
I'm from NYC and all I can say is "lmao"

"I'm from NY and I wanna move elsewhere that is just like NY and if it's not, I'll make it be like NY. wah wah wahhhh"

No where.. .and I mean NO WHERE in the valley is there anything remotely resembling Manhattan... not even downtown Phoenix. And that's OK.. every place in the US has it's own flavor and character.
I am absolutely not looking to move somewhere that is exactly like Manhattan, so I apologize if my messages conveyed that sentiment. What I was communicating was that I do not want to be in a small desolate town, where I would have to drive 100 miles in order to access some liveliness.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
You don't seem to understand what we're saying so we keep trying!
haha I do understand, I do! We love nature and hiking and all of the things you are mentioning about Prescott. I guess the city girl in me is strongly rejecting the idea of city life being so out of reach haha. And everything being said is very convincing and logical, especially that you are all in agreement I really appreciate all of the feedback. What is the difference between Prescott and Prescott Valley? I see more affordable rental options in the valley...

Old 03-22-2016, 04:21 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,484,857 times
Quote:
I am absolutely not looking to move somewhere that is exactly like Manhattan, so I apologize if my messages conveyed that sentiment. What I was communicating was that I do not want to be in a small desolate town, where I would have to drive 100 miles in order to access some liveliness.

Prescott/Prescott Valley is NOT a "small desolate town". Clearly you've never been there. I don't know what "some liveliness" is, (are you going to want to go out 5-7 days a week??) but you can find things to do in that area, and come to Phoenix for a weekend if you like to get some more urban fun.

Prescott Valley is newer, flatter, without the historic feel (and all the trees!) that Prescott has. But they are so close together that you could live in PV and go to Prescott anytime for whatever.

I think you are making a massive mistake in not treating this one year (and it will FLY by) as an OPPORTUNITY (rather than some sort of sentence) for a fun experiment with a slightly different way of life. You already know it's only for a year. You don't ever have to live in a non-urban environment again if you don't want to. But what you are looking for within 80 miles of PV does not exist, so you are better off not doing the commute and living near work.

Sorry that everyone isn't agreeing with you, but that's what happens when you ask a question... you don't always get the answer you want.

Last edited by observer53; 03-22-2016 at 04:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area