Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 02:30 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,493,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BjornT View Post
Thank for the advice. They swarmed last Monday, so just over a week now. Still regular activity. Not a ton, but still every day.

Can these be baited with poisoned traps, like hornets can? Or is that a bad idea, because we still need the bees for agriculture?

Why don't you just call someone out to take a look and see what needs to be done. (depending on what's going on, at least SOME bees are going to get killed) It can't be that expensive, and then you know it's taken care of the best way.

Last edited by observer53; 03-29-2016 at 03:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 02:39 PM

7,834 posts, read 4,584,640 times
I chatted with a beekeeper friend of mine just last week. He said he's on an on-call list with his club that will have a look at hives and IF it's an easy catch, will come and take the hive away.

Again, a big "if", they won't get into walls and such, but might be worth contacting a local beekeepers group to see if they offer this service. He said when it works out it's a win-win, they get to replenish their hive and you get rid of the bees. Try not to kill them if you can.

Good luck.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:23 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,325,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Why don't you just call someone out to take a look and see what needs to be done. (depending on what's going on, at least bees are going to get killed) It can't be that expensive, and then you know it's taken care of the best way.

My thoughts exactly.

Also, bees are very necessary to the environment, so I would try to avoid killing them if at all possible. Relocation is the best option in many cases.

The main thing here is DO NOT MESS WITH THEM! Unless you are brand new to this part of the country, I am sure you have heard stories about swarms of bees attacking people and animals. There was just a story the other day about a family trapped in their home, and there as also a bee attack at a recent spring training game. They don't even need to be provoked to attack; some will react to a loud noise or even the vibration of an engine.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:54 PM

7,208 posts, read 9,278,742 times
Baiting won't work well. The bait would have to be something sugary to attract them. That will also attract other pollen seekers including hummingbirds. Also you would only kill a few workers. You have to get rid of the Queen to get rid of the hive.

It may seem expensive to call a bee remover or pest control person. But if they are in your walls it will be cheaper in the long run.

Take57's idea is a good one. Try local beekeepers first. One of my former bosses used to be a beekeeper. And he would remove bees sometimes for someone else to get a hive.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:54 PM

133 posts, read 149,261 times
Well, I called the pros. The guy was attacked instantly upon climbing the ladder to the second story. "You've got big trouble!" he said. The hive was going into the wall, and someone before us (just moved into this house, a rental, 2 months ago) tried to patch it and failed, badly. He was able to break off and show me huge chunks of honeycomb that were sticking out of the wall.

He sprayed the hive ($165) and said that would terminate them, but that they'd be back eventually unless the hive were removed. Said hive removal would be about an $800 job.

Ugh. Going to contact property management and hope they don't give me attitude.

Wish it could have been a hive transplant, not a kill :-(

Old 03-30-2016, 02:06 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,493,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BjornT View Post
Well, I called the pros. The guy was attacked instantly upon climbing the ladder to the second story. "You've got big trouble!" he said. The hive was going into the wall, and someone before us (just moved into this house, a rental, 2 months ago) tried to patch it and failed, badly. He was able to break off and show me huge chunks of honeycomb that were sticking out of the wall.

He sprayed the hive ($165) and said that would terminate them, but that they'd be back eventually unless the hive were removed. Said hive removal would be about an $800 job.

Ugh. Going to contact property management and hope they don't give me attitude.

Wish it could have been a hive transplant, not a kill :-(
Glad you know what's going on. Property management should take care of all of it. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: