Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 10:21 AM

17,347 posts, read 11,297,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
I don't know anyone paying $900 per month in the summer...were they leaving their windows open or something?
LOL. It must have been someone with a lot of extra money to burn and lived in a huge house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 10:32 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,647,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Well, if 120 degrees in a heat wave and daily temps of about 105 to 110 isn't too hot all summer long then I don't know what is. You might as well turn on your oven and stick your head in it, LOL.
Call me crazy but I like the summers. Give me a pool or a lake and I'm happy.
Maybe it's because I lived on the Oregon Coast for so many years that I appreciate the abundant sunshine and blue skies more than most.
Besides, EVERYTHING is air conditioned so you just go from one cool place to another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Try being here when it's 115F and your A/C goes out - and you don't have a swimming pool.
Plus, you have to wait for a repairman to come. Yeah, it can be "too hot".
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I can't even begin to imagine what it must cost to cool a medium size house to about 75 degrees when it's 115 outside during the day and in the 90s at night.
My place is all electric and about 2900 sf with a rather large diving pool built in 1983. I am not on a time of day plan. Matter of fact, I've got one of those boxes that you pre-pay. I just like it that way so I'm not surprised at the end of the month.
Anyway, I've never, ever paid more than $380.00 for electricity and that was only when I had family visit for a few weeks in August. They weren't accustom to the heat and I had to keep the temps about 70 for them to be comfortable.
The summer electricity bill is a small price to pay I figure. My winter bills are almost nothing. Typically my electric bill for 7 or 8 months of the year is less than $60.00. I have a swamp cooler on my house in addition to central A/C and the swampy works incredibly well. So well in fact that I don't typically use the A/C until late July or early August and then back to the swampy in mid to late September.
Well, my point is that you don't have to suffer from high utility bills. There are many things you can do to mitigate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
And ceiling fans where rooms are occupied...
Ceiling fans and the knowledge on how to use them are key if you ask me.
Of course nothing beats a pool. HA.....

Old 03-29-2016, 10:47 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,474,891 times
Well sometimes it does feel good when it is hot outside. It's all fun and games until it gets to 115 and a gust of wind comes and basically burns your face off then you start dream of the winter months.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:02 AM

924 posts, read 752,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
I thought of this due to threads asking how hot it is.

Any Phoenix residents say to themselves, "It can never be too hot! I love it!" I think I may be the type that can never be too hot, but I've never been to Phoenix (so I wouldn't dare say).
I'll put it this way....the only thing I like about the summer heat is that I can use the swimming pool. But, when it gets to the temp that the pool water feels like warm bath water, that's definitely "too hot".

Old 03-29-2016, 04:14 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,970,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Braun View Post
I'll put it this way....the only thing I like about the summer heat is that I can use the swimming pool. But, when it gets to the temp that the pool water feels like warm bath water, that's definitely "too hot".
Thats alllllll summer at my place. By mid-June the water is 90 degrees and it never cools off. Well, if there is a monstrous monsoonal rain, it can cool it off a bit, but its not overly refreshing still.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:18 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,213,519 times
I thought I'd see more responses from the "it's never too hot" crowd. Well, I still won't count them out. Maybe they'll post later.

For everybody else, thanks! Informative!

Old 03-30-2016, 07:45 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,615,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
I thought I'd see more responses from the "it's never too hot" crowd. Well, I still won't count them out. Maybe they'll post later.

For everybody else, thanks! Informative!
Hey, Sven, these types of threads usually brings out the peeps who hate the heat, and it doesn't matter how you word it! Arizona heat is just what it is (HOT), and people will either adapt and get used to it, or they won't -- and then they'll join the usual haters.

I'm Arizonan, born & bred, and the heat of the desert southwest is just fine with me!

Old 03-30-2016, 08:56 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,213,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Hey, Sven, these types of threads usually brings out the peeps who hate the heat, and it doesn't matter how you word it! Arizona heat is just what it is (HOT), and people will either adapt and get used to it, or they won't -- and then they'll join the usual haters.

I'm Arizonan, born & bred, and the heat of the desert southwest is just fine with me!
There we go!

Old 03-30-2016, 09:10 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,152,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Thats alllllll summer at my place. By mid-June the water is 90 degrees and it never cools off. Well, if there is a monstrous monsoonal rain, it can cool it off a bit, but its not overly refreshing still.
You may want to check the mineral content of the water. We had that problem with our play pool at the old house (we would throw ice blocks into it to cool it down a bit...no it didn't work). I took a sample into the pool store and we were at 1500ppm. Drained it and refilled with "fresh" water and the pool stayed a bit cooler the next year. Apparently, with our water hardness in the Valley, this is a common issue prompting some to drain/refill every couple of years.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:20 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,652,870 times
In addition to Kurt's comment, try running the aerator at night. My pool stays refreshing all summer. Once it gets too hot, I open the aerator valve for a couple nights and it drops the temp back down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: