Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 01:02 PM

586 posts, read 542,470 times

Advertisements

Maybe it has a little more to do with where they want their family to be raised than actual cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I completely agree with this, but at the same time, it's a person's choice to live where he/she wants. Living in a more centralized location has many advantages, but it also tends to be more expensive to live in a more urban environment vs. a suburban/exurban area. That's one of the reasons some people still prefer to live out in the distant suburbs: it's cheaper ... or so they think. When the cost of gas and car maintenance are factored in, the amount saved isn't really all that much in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 04:27 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,704,992 times
Quote:
I completely agree with this, but at the same time, it's a person's choice to live where he/she wants. Living in a more centralized location has many advantages, but it also tends to be more expensive to live in a more urban environment vs. a suburban/exurban area. That's one of the reasons some people still prefer to live out in the distant suburbs: it's cheaper ... or so they think. When the cost of gas and car maintenance are factored in, the amount saved isn't really all that much in the long run.
I don't know how it could be any cheaper than living in Phoenix, but out of the "core" of downtown. You get great pricing on the things you buy because of competition & many of the transplants won't even consider a real "phoenix" zip code because of how other major cities are, so properties cost less than many suburbs. The side benefit is you don't have to commute as far.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:30 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,704,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
Maybe it has a little more to do with where they want their family to be raised than actual cost.
lol.. in a development of 500 "semi custom" stucco boxes conveniently situated no more than 8 feet from each other?

Old 04-06-2016, 10:09 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,506,866 times
Quote:
Cost is one reason but there are other reasons too.

Closeness to family and significant others can be a bigger priority and determine where people decide to live, even if that means living in a suburban area and having a long commute to work.

Newness of a community can play a part too along with safety, most of these neighborhoods are in the suburban areas.

Ideally I would like to live in a center location and be closer to my workplace but a lot of neighborhoods in those areas are older and contain homes needing remodel-repair, I don't want to deal with that.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:56 AM

586 posts, read 542,470 times
More like in a place with little traffic and many parks that you and your kids can enjoy with little risk from drivers and such. But carry on I'm sure it's just as nice for the kids downtown to go outside and play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
lol.. in a development of 500 "semi custom" stucco boxes conveniently situated no more than 8 feet from each other?

Old 04-08-2016, 06:47 PM

717 posts, read 1,059,780 times
In most cities, the reason people leave the urban core once they have kids is because inner-city schools tend to be terrible, even in very wealthy cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area