Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 09:02 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times

Advertisements

As many should know, Mesa is one of the most conservative suburbs in the Valley, second only to Gilbert. However, this brings up an interesting point - why do Mesa residents support mass transit, including light rail?

I know historically conservative cities are less likely to support public transportation, however, Mesa has the third most extensive transit network in the Valley behind Phoenix and Tempe, and that includes light rail. So why would Mesa voters vote for candidates in favor of mass transit, even though the candidates are still Republicans? In the last mayoral election, John Giles (a supporter of mass transit/light rail) defeated Danny Ray (an opponent of mass transit/light rail) by a landslide.

For comparison, Scottsdale is only moderately conservative, but strongly opposes light rail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 09:11 AM

975 posts, read 1,404,311 times
The reasoning I've heard for Scottsdale's opposition to light rail as that they are afraid of the "elements" that would flock there if light rail was expanded.

With Scottsdale's extensive bar/nightlife district, light rail (or even a streetcar to Tempe) would be great. I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:15 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post

With Scottsdale's extensive bar/nightlife district, light rail (or even a streetcar to Tempe) would be great. I just don't see it happening anytime soon.
I agree. There should at least be a line going from Chandler Fashion Center to Frank Lloyd Wright via Rural/Scottsdale Road. It should be known as the Brown Line IMO.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:35 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
Quote:
The reasoning I've heard for Scottsdale's opposition to light rail as that they are afraid of the "elements" that would flock there if light rail was expanded.
Couldn't the "elements" just use the already in place bus system if they really wanted to flock to Scottsdale?

Old 04-05-2016, 09:43 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,140,766 times
So Conservatives are against public transportation? I don't remember seeing that plank on the Republican platform. Interesting...

Old 04-05-2016, 09:58 AM

2,784 posts, read 7,445,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
So Conservatives are against public transportation? I don't remember seeing that plank on the Republican platform. Interesting...
There are different flavors of conservatism. The Mormon Church has been strongly supportive of public transport in its home base of Salt Lake City and has shown similar support in Mesa. Business-oriented "chamber of commerce" types are also generally supportive. Tea partiers, libertarians, and other conservative factions tend to be more skeptical of public transit. In Scottsdale, public transit, especially light rail, has also become intertwined with the main political differentiator in that city's politics: density and development. The GOP faction that supports high-density development in Scottsdale is willing to talk about light rail; the faction that wants to keep Scottsdale more-or-less as it is today strongly opposes light rail.

Last edited by exit2lef; 04-05-2016 at 10:47 AM..

Old 04-05-2016, 10:56 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,366,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
There are different flavors of conservatism. The Mormon Church has been strongly supportive of public transport in its home base of Salt Lake City and has shown similar support in Mesa. Business-oriented "chamber of commerce" types are also generally supportive. Tea partiers, libertarians, and other conservative factions tend to be more skeptical of public transit. In Scottsdale, public transit, especially light rail, has also become intertwined with the main political differentiator in that city's politics: density and development. The GOP faction that supports high-density development in Scottsdale is willing to talk about light rail; the faction that wants to keep Scottsdale more-or-less as it is today strongly opposes light rail.
Well stated. I don't think people in Scottsdale are under any illusion that people of all types can't or don't already access the city via bus, bicycle, foot and private vehicle. It's less a question of trying to keep people "out" of a massive city spanning 184 square miles, and more a question of, do you want to see more mid-rise buildings, condos/apartments, clubs, bars, etc., or do you want to limit further development and keep the city more suburban/single-family-home oriented? Millions of people of all sorts and types, from the local homeless to the international tourists, visit the city every year. That ship has sailed. Opposition to light rail is very much tied up in the neverending "development vs. preservation" dichotomy that seems to define city politics and every Council and Mayoral election.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:02 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
As many should know, Mesa is one of the most conservative suburbs in the Valley, second only to Gilbert. However, this brings up an interesting point - why do Mesa residents support mass transit, including light rail?

I know historically conservative cities are less likely to support public transportation, however, Mesa has the third most extensive transit network in the Valley behind Phoenix and Tempe, and that includes light rail. So why would Mesa voters vote for candidates in favor of mass transit, even though the candidates are still Republicans? In the last mayoral election, John Giles (a supporter of mass transit/light rail) defeated Danny Ray (an opponent of mass transit/light rail) by a landslide.

For comparison, Scottsdale is only moderately conservative, but strongly opposes light rail.

Doesn't Mesa have a higher poverty level and a lower-income population than other east valley suburbs?

People who fall in this category may not be able to afford a vehicle and are reliant on mass transit regardless of their political views.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:

Scottsdale's snooty opposition to light rail might come back to haunt them later on.

Maybe if a train was designed in the form of a Mercedes or Porsche, Scottsdale's plastic population might approve.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Couldn't the "elements" just use the already in place bus system if they really wanted to flock to Scottsdale?
Viola, how true.

Perhaps this is something Scottsdale's light rail opponents didn't consider?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area