Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 11:37 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,517,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Good point. Having lived through Portland's light rail experience I can say with some certainty that development doesn't happen overnight, but it does come. The financing element remains in flux.
Very well-written.

As the old saying goes, Rome wasn't built in a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 06:33 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,375,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I, along with many, many others, won't ride a bus, but will ride rail. That isn't a good second option.
Why, though? The same people who ride the bus, ride the light rail system. It's not like it's a "better crowd" on the light rail. You may have people who only ride the rail, such as yourself...but everyone who rides a bus will certainly also ride the train if it's along their route.

I see all sorts of people walking back and forth between the bus stop and the train station all the time. The transit police stay busy on the rail system just as they do with the bus system, and I think they do the best job they can, but as far as I know people have a right to use public transit even if they might be drunk or high or unstable.

I'm not being holier-than-thou here at all, I understand anyone's discomfort with some of the odd things seen on public transit and I've had plenty of those same feelings myself when seeing odd or unsettling things occur. But anyway my point is, I really don't think the train is any better than the bus.

Last edited by ScottsdaleMark; 04-20-2016 at 06:44 AM..

Old 04-20-2016, 06:40 AM

2,791 posts, read 7,489,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
Why? I can assure you that the same people who ride the bus, ride the light rail system. It's not like it's a "better crowd" on the light rail. You may have people who only ride the rail, such as yourself...but trust me, everyone who rides a bus will certainly also ride the train if it's along their route. I see them walking back and forth between the bus stop and the train station all the time and that includes people who might cause problems or make some people uncomfortable ... the transit police stay busy on the rail system just as they do with the bus system.
It's true that most bus passengers also use rail (at least in those communities that have invested in rail), but the converse is not necessarily true. Not all rail passengers are bus passengers. There are numerous rail passengers who seldom, if ever, ride buses. Rail is faster, more comfortable, and less stigmatized than local bus routes and therefore does a better job of attracting discretionary passengers who have a variety of transportation options.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:55 AM

445 posts, read 518,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
Why, though? The same people who ride the bus, ride the light rail system. It's not like it's a "better crowd" on the light rail. You may have people who only ride the rail, such as yourself...but everyone who rides a bus will certainly also ride the train if it's along their route.

I see all sorts of people walking back and forth between the bus stop and the train station all the time. The transit police stay busy on the rail system just as they do with the bus system, and I think they do the best job they can, but as far as I know people have a right to use public transit even if they might be drunk or high or unstable.

I'm not being holier-than-thou here at all, I understand anyone's discomfort with some of the odd things seen on public transit and I've had plenty of those same feelings myself when seeing odd or unsettling things occur. But anyway my point is, I really don't think the train is any better than the bus.
Two main reasons... Speed and timing.

When light rail is discussed on here, a lot of people (correctly) point out that light rail isn't very fast, especially relative to subway/elevated trains or commuter rail options that you find in other cities. But it is waaaaaaaay faster than the bus. The light rail has fewer stops, and for all the talk about having to stop at red lights, most of the time the lights adjust and the train rolls on through the intersection.

Personally, I take the light rail to go places where parking is expensive or where I plan on drinking, such as to a game downtown or to a show at the Marquee in Tempe. Before the northwest extension opened up, I'd do those same trips by bus and they would take about 1.5 times as long.

The other thing is timing. Many bus lines in Phoenix stop their service for the night by 8:00 or 9:00 pm, even on major routes. The light rail runs until a little after 11:00 pm during the week and goes until 2:00 am or so on weekends. I live near the new northwest extension... if I want to go out for drinks or a show in Tempe, there is no option to take a bus that late. I either pay about $60-$70 round trip for an Uber (maybe more depending on surge pricing), or pay $4 round trip for the light rail. It's a no-brainer.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:21 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,998,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Ah, it's too definitive and too costly right now for Scottsdale to consider.

Translation, the Scottsdale city council doesn't want the nasty low-class element riding the light rail into their pristine plastic utopia.

They would rather have the nasty low-class element riding the busses into Scottsdale instead.
Ridiculous.

Rather, Scottsdale is playing it smart by not wasting money they feel they dont have, plus wisely avoiding all the traffic hassles during the long (and pricey) construction processes.

Scottsdale is playing it safe, and I appreciate that.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:47 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,637,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Ah, it's too definitive and too costly right now for Scottsdale to consider.

Translation, the Scottsdale city council doesn't want the nasty low-class element riding the light rail into their pristine plastic utopia.

They would rather have the nasty low-class element riding the busses into Scottsdale instead.
Failing that, they could easily hitchhike or walk into Scottsdale.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:53 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,262,567 times
Nimbys Nimbys Nimbys

Old 04-20-2016, 01:05 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,997,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Failing that, they could easily hitchhike or walk into Scottsdale.
City Council will be holding an emergency session. Topic: Can a city be a gated community?

Old 04-20-2016, 01:39 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,351,229 times
NIMBY's strike again! Old people on the council protect their turf. Did that to the hockey stadium and they did it again now! They fear Old Town getting even busier. It still makes me laugh how council members don't appreciate the money and activity the night life has brought there and see it as anathema. This is literally like Caddyshack! LOL

This is why the young people in the city need to get off their butt and become politically active otherwise they will continue to lose amenities.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:44 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,351,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Ridiculous.

Rather, Scottsdale is playing it smart by not wasting money they feel they dont have, plus wisely avoiding all the traffic hassles during the long (and pricey) construction processes.

Scottsdale is playing it safe, and I appreciate that.
Safe....how about the number of drivers it would remove off the roads as all those Tempe kids would light rail to Old Town instead of driving there and leaving drunk. It would also bring a lot more people to that area and connect the cities. Scottsdale has money. They are just being parochial as if this is the 1950's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area