Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 04:07 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
It's not just me.

Scottsdale has a national reputation of being snooty and discriminatory against people who don't drive high-end vehicles or don't look or dress a certain way.

It wasn't named Arizona's South Beach for nothing.
It was named after SB because of the party scene, not the snottiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 12:14 AM

285 posts, read 377,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Oh, look! More assumptions. You guys are something else.
Money for light rail in the phoenix area should go to education and hiring more teachers !

DiCiccio: Vote

"Education is the highest priority in our city. This tax increase will take money away from education. One mile of rail could pay the salaries of over 2,900 teachers. Phoenix must first get its financial house and restore fiscal responsibility and accountability."

That's what he said. It certainly appears that light rail is a result of the unions from back east like McCarthy Building Company and their attempt to sneak into Phoenix and Scottsdale. Scottsdale is mostly Democrat residents but the city council is 5 Republicans so for now it is stopped.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:18 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,455,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoaks View Post
Money for light rail in the phoenix area should go to education and hiring more teachers !

DiCiccio: Vote

"Education is the highest priority in our city. This tax increase will take money away from education. One mile of rail could pay the salaries of over 2,900 teachers. Phoenix must first get its financial house and restore fiscal responsibility and accountability."

That's what he said. It certainly appears that light rail is a result of the unions from back east like McCarthy Building Company and their attempt to sneak into Phoenix and Scottsdale. Scottsdale is mostly Democrat residents but the city council is 5 Republicans so for now it is stopped.
Transit and schools are funded by separate entities from separate revenue sources. One doesn't necessarily compete with the other. It's possible to support increased (or decreased) funding for both transit and schools. Also, I doubt very much that Scottsdale is populated by mostly Democratic voters. Not only is its city council 100% Republican, so is the delegation that District 23, which includes most of Scottsdale, sends to the state legislature. At the Congressional level, conservative Republican David Schweikert represents most of the city. I don't think a mostly Democratic city would vote for so many Republicans, several of them of the tea party persuasion.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:21 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,346,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Transit and schools are funded by separate entities from separate revenue sources. One doesn't necessarily compete with the other. It's possible to support increased (or decreased) funding for both transit and schools. Also, I doubt very much that Scottsdale is populated by mostly Democratic voters. Not only is its city council 100% Republican, so is the delegation that District 23, which includes most of Scottsdale, sends to the state legislature. At the Congressional level, conservative Republican David Schweikert represents most of the city. I don't think a mostly Democratic city would vote for so many Republicans, several of them of the tea party persuasion.
Scottsdale in general leans Republican, comparable to Chandler on the political spectrum. More conservative than Phoenix, but less than Mesa or Gilbert. South Scottsdale is somewhat more liberal than North Scottsdale.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:41 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
It's not just me.

Scottsdale has a national reputation of being snooty and discriminatory against people who don't drive high-end vehicles or don't look or dress a certain way.

It wasn't named Arizona's South Beach for nothing.
It's not that way at all. Furthermore, the nicknames Scottsdale is given (Phoenix's Beverly Hills, Arizona's South Beach, etc.) are completely exaggerated. The downtown/Old Town area is a haven for nightlife, but you don't have to drive a fancy car, flash money around, or wear the latest exorbitantly priced fashions to be accepted there. The atmosphere in most of Scottsdale is a little on the high end side, but I see nothing wrong with that. I'd rather be in Scottsdale than Maryvale, or much of Glendale for that matter. If you were somehow discriminated against or treated rudely by certain people in Scottsdale, then that's their problem for being arrogant jerks.

Quote:
Better idea: give the money back to the taxpayers to do with it what they see fit. Schools should be paid for by the parents who made the choice to procreate in the first place!

Old 04-24-2016, 11:07 PM

285 posts, read 377,925 times
South Scottsdale, maybe south of McCormick Ranch, is solidly Democrat. Whether that is enough to make the entire city mostly Democrat voters, I don't know . . . but most millenials and 30+ north of Shea in the new lifestyle centers near Kierland and the Quarter are Democrats. But they don't vote in the elections . . .

Yes, I know, they're funded from different sources. But Mr. DiCiccio made a great point.

I'd like to see Arizona spend more money on education and medical care, and establish a new "Western Arizona University" in Lake Havasu. ASU already has a presence in Havasu. The state has a lot of potential along the Colorado River corridor.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:22 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,455,079 times
Quote:
Yes, I know, they're funded from different sources. But Mr. DiCiccio made a great point.
He made a misleading argument in an unsuccessful attempt to defeat Proposition 104. If Phoenix voters had said no to 104, it would not have resulted in a single dime of additional money for schools. Governor Ducey had already made it clear before the 104 vote that he would not allow any tax increases at the state level, which is where schools are funded.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:46 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,368,146 times
Quote:
South Scottsdale, maybe south of McCormick Ranch, is solidly Democrat. Whether that is enough to make the entire city mostly Democrat voters, I don't know . . . but most millenials and 30+ north of Shea in the new lifestyle centers near Kierland and the Quarter are Democrats. But they don't vote in the elections . . .

I'd like to see Arizona spend more money on education and medical care, and establish a new "Western Arizona University" in Lake Havasu. ASU already has a presence in Havasu. The state has a lot of potential along the Colorado River corridor.
Do you have any maps or data for this that lead you to believe this?

I have raw data by precinct and I spot-checked some precincts throughout south and central Scottsdale and they were all pretty either ~50/50 or heavily Republican for the 2012 Presidential election. You are correct, though, that south Scottsdale is the most liberal area according to these results.

Sources: http://apps.azsos.gov/results/2012/general/Maricopa.txt
and
http://recorder.maricopa.gov/Maps2/C...tsWallSize.pdf
and
https://www.maptechnica.com/us-city-...cityid/0465000

Young people always skew liberal, but if they don't vote, then their opinions are of limited impact.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:03 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,346,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
Do you have any maps or data for this that lead you to believe this?

I have raw data by precinct and I spot-checked some precincts throughout south and central Scottsdale and they were all pretty either ~50/50 or heavily Republican for the 2012 Presidential election. You are correct, though, that south Scottsdale is the most liberal area according to these results.

Sources: http://apps.azsos.gov/results/2012/general/Maricopa.txt
and
http://recorder.maricopa.gov/Maps2/C...tsWallSize.pdf
and
https://www.maptechnica.com/us-city-...cityid/0465000

Young people always skew liberal, but if they don't vote, then their opinions are of limited impact.
The political divide in Scottsdale somewhat mirrors Chandler. Like Chandler, the city as a whole leans Republican, but has both portions that are more liberal and more conservative. South Scottsdale and the Kyrene area of Chandler are somewhat more liberal, while northern Scottsdale and Chandler east of the 101 are more conservative.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:44 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,341,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
The political divide in Scottsdale somewhat mirrors Chandler. Like Chandler, the city as a whole leans Republican, but has both portions that are more liberal and more conservative. South Scottsdale and the Kyrene area of Chandler are somewhat more liberal, while northern Scottsdale and Chandler east of the 101 are more conservative.
My aunt and uncle have lived in Scottsdale since '78, same house, just north of Vista Dr. and west of Granite Reef and are very conservative (they're retired now). Talking to them, they obviously have seen Scottsdale and the Valley in general explode over the time they have been there and they feel Scottsdale is pretty conservative, with pockets of less conservative here and there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area