Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 07:52 PM

394 posts, read 343,060 times

Advertisements

Hello good people of AZ... I'm a native of So Cal (please don't hold it against me) - and have considered AZ for the last decade... I've had it with this over-crowded, over-priced, over-taxed, over-regulated, controlling state. I promise you I will not bring baggage - I'm a Freedom lover and AZ fits my desires regarding social climate, political climate and overall quality of life... I transferring to AZ within the company I work for (thankful for their support in my request to move) - and will be working just north-west of Phoenix (north of 10 west of 17).

I've been talking with friends and coworkers as well as reading and interacting on forums to learn as much as I can in order to make an informed decision on where to move... I've received mixed messages and am having to decipher some on my own... I am working with a realtor in the area - but need better clarification on some things...

My main objective is to get away form the excessive crowds and find a reasonably priced home (please remember, I'm from So Cal - I drive freeways that have been listed as worst in the country and world (no exaggeration) and real-estate priced higher than almost all other in the nation... I preface it this way because I realize everything is relative - and wanted to keep it in perspective.

I have no kids at home and am moving solo for now - girlfriend of 14 years may end up out there in a few years when her youngest (junior in high school) son becomes independent... so wherever I end up now may be sold for bigger home and possibly different area if/when she gets out here... but for now I'm looking for 1500sqft or so, around 160-180K...

Having that been said - I have a few questions... I've read some exceptionally informative posts on this site and am hoping to fill some missing pieces to my process.

1) I understand the housing market several years ago went wonky and home prices that were once inflated tanked (it happened here too)... But as I look to purchase, I'm seeing some pretty significant increases in prices as compared to just a year or two ago (in some cases just a few months) I'm talking 30%-50% in many cases... granted, it's WAY cheaper than here and I'm very much looking forward to buying there - but the question is; Do you think this is an inflated market? Do those with experience feel this upswing has legs or is the value of my home going to tank? I realize no one knows for sure - but whats the general consensus?... I'd hate to wait and see it go higher - but I don't want to be upside down either... if today's price wasn't so drastic from 1 to 5 years ago I wouldn't be so concerned.

2) 10 years ago (or so) I was out there for business in Buckeye and Goodyear... fell in love with them and have wanted to live there every since... however, now that I'm actually moving I want to look at all options... after much research and lots of discussion (verbal and online) - I'm set on West Valley or possibly Anthem... I was perplexed by the various reports of Buckeye - but think I have that sorted out and it is on my short lists... commute isn't an issue (remember, I've been driving far worse for decades)... but closer to work has its advantages if the area is worth it... that brings my question; what is the general consensus of Peoria? It seems to vary widely form nice and relatively new to old and relatively run down (kinda like Buckeye?)... I will eventually research the area (crime stats, opinions, etc) - but I am driving out there tomorrow and will only have one day to drive all the areas I want to consider (so far Buckeye, Goodyear, Surprise, Anthem and now possibly Peoria)... insight will help me determine if I should take the time.

3) Since I am very partial to Buckeye - I'm focusing more in that area than others... It seems that the closer to the 10 the newer and cleaner the neighborhood (consistently) - is that accurate? Are there specific areas of Buckeye you suggest I target while I'm out there (again, 1500 sqft $160-$180K) preferably built 2000 or newer...

I realize everyone has different likes and needs - and there's no way I can tell enough about myself for anyone to know exactly what will work for me... but considering what I've mentioned, are there any areas I should skip (between Surprise, Anthem and Peoria)? Or are the any other areas you recommend?... I have limited time on this visit so I need to make the most of it.

I'm sure I will have other questions in the coming days and weeks... I hope my long post wasn't a turn-off... any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 08:05 PM

Default Another Question

Already have other questions (sorry)...

considering size house I'm looking for - can you tell me avg electric bill in the hottest months? I'm not even sure what setting to keep AC? I rarely have it on here and when I do it's only while I'm home - I imaging out there you need to run it all day (even though it would be set to higher temp while away)?...

Are certain areas higher than other when it comes to water, trash, sewer? I realize HOA vary - but what about other ancillary costs?

Do all areas around Phoenix have fiber optic cable? Or better question, are there any that don't?

Thank you in advance

Old 04-14-2016, 09:14 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,174,580 times
Since you are working with a REALTOR, why not pose your questions to him/her? It is their job to help you make an informed decision and they should have a working knowledge of the area you are considering. It is how they earn their money and if they do a good job you will sing their praises which will bring them more business down the road.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:21 PM

127 posts, read 171,484 times
We're moving in from New York and have been looking in the east valley. I'll let the local experts speak to the west valley (although I've seen only love for Goodyear), but a couple of thoughts:

- I'm yet to encounter anyone who raves about Anthem, mainly due to the location. If you're committed to considering it, drive there and back directly from your planned workplace and see what you think. Don't try to sugarcoat it. Imagine doing it during monsoon.

- I'm not sure if you meant that you've seen prices go up on the same property, but when you see a 30-50% increase in a few years or months, it's often a remodel/flip. Sorry if this is an obvious point.

- I have the same questions about where real estate will head, but after crunching the numbers on how much better the tax situation is in AZ, I concluded that "you pays your money and you takes your chances": even if another bubble burst, I might not be significantly worse off compared to not moving. We did some research on Palm Desert and San Diego early on as candidate cities, as well, and I can sympathize with why leaving California would make financial sense.

My intuition, based on the high opinion I've seen of Goodyear on these forums and elsewhere, is that if you love Goodyear and are working at the location you mentioned, you're probably on the right track with that.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Since you are working with a REALTOR, why not pose your questions to him/her? It is their job to help you make an informed decision and they should have a working knowledge of the area you are considering. It is how they earn their money and if they do a good job you will sing their praises which will bring them more business down the road.
Indeed I have - as well as forum members on other sites, co-workers, a friend that lives there and lots of reading...

I have gained a lot of knowledge/information in the last couple weeks - but I'm targeting July 1 to be moved... And will be looking at different areas tomorrow - so time is tight and I can't rely on one person for all my answers...

I found this site and thought it to be a good source for additional info. But maybe I was wrong?

Old 04-14-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-A View Post
We're moving in from New York and have been looking in the east valley. I'll let the local experts speak to the west valley (although I've seen only love for Goodyear), but a couple of thoughts:

- I'm yet to encounter anyone who raves about Anthem, mainly due to the location. If you're committed to considering it, drive there and back directly from your planned workplace and see what you think. Don't try to sugarcoat it. Imagine doing it during monsoon.

- I'm not sure if you meant that you've seen prices go up on the same property, but when you see a 30-50% increase in a few years or months, it's often a remodel/flip. Sorry if this is an obvious point.

- I have the same questions about where real estate will head, but after crunching the numbers on how much better the tax situation is in AZ, I concluded that "you pays your money and you takes your chances": even if another bubble burst, I might not be significantly worse off compared to not moving. We did some research on Palm Desert and San Diego early on as candidate cities, as well, and I can sympathize with why leaving California would make financial sense.

My intuition, based on the high opinion I've seen of Goodyear on these forums and elsewhere, is that if you love Goodyear and are working at the location you mentioned, you're probably on the right track with that.
Thank you for the feedback - and good luck with your move

Old 04-14-2016, 09:41 PM

127 posts, read 171,484 times
Just another thought, time being a limitation, here are two polls that give you some "temperature" of the forum about the west valley:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...city-town.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...ix-suburb.html

Note that Peoria and Goodyear seem to be the standouts, if you want to narrow down your search.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:02 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,995 times
First thing, I wouldn't bother with Anthem. Not sure why you would prefer it. Theres nothing special about it, and no great reason to go. Also honestly its probably a little out of your budget. Anthem is just far enough out of the city its not going to get much of the homeless problem that plagues Phoenix metro, but its not far enough north to get any cooler weather. It has the outlet malls, and its closer to the open land. If those aren't on your top priorities, its not worth your time.

Are you looking for a small town, rural area? Dirt roads, bigger yards? You can find that in the area. You can find newer cookie cutter developments (where you shouldn't have many repairs to make on your home) within that area too.

Since you're looking in the area, check out the 101 expansion; traffic, construction, should probably be considered if youre not currently looking for anything permanent.

As far as the housing market goes, about two years ago, it really started picking back up. Everything was being bought back up, homes went from being on the market for months to weeks, (one of the first cities to really start recovering quickly), Prices have definitely gone back up some, but not as inflated as previously.

I wouldn't rule out Glendale, that's kind of right there where you will be, and then theres also laveen, (but theres the dump there, and it mostly smells like fuel or cows).

If you have an agent, they really should be able to give you some good choices once you narrow down a little more of what youre looking for, and how far away from crowds you want to be.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:09 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
Indeed I have - as well as forum members on other sites, co-workers, a friend that lives there and lots of reading...

I have gained a lot of knowledge/information in the last couple weeks - but I'm targeting July 1 to be moved... And will be looking at different areas tomorrow - so time is tight and I can't rely on one person for all my answers...

I found this site and thought it to be a good source for additional info. But maybe I was wrong?

No, you aren't wrong, but realtors have the data readily available to answer some of the questions you have, so you can put factual info together a bit quicker. And, you are paying them to help you, might as well use all the expertise they have about the market, particularly, in the parts of the Valley you are interested in.

Electric bill in summer questions are VERY difficult to answer. There are many, many variables. First, at what temperature you are comfortable; the size of the house; the orientation of the house (shade to west windows, etc.) the amount of insulation in the house, the efficiency of the AC unit; use of ceiling fans, etc. Time of use plans and managed payment plans are available from the two major electric providers.

I'm not an expert on fiberoptic cable... if I were guessing, I'd say it isn't in all the places you are looking Water can vary a lot-- private water companies are generally significantly higher than city water. Trash, same--- private company higher than city service.

Last edited by observer53; 04-14-2016 at 10:23 PM..

Old 04-14-2016, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-A View Post
Just another thought, time being a limitation, here are two polls that give you some "temperature" of the forum about the west valley:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...city-town.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...ix-suburb.html

Note that Peoria and Goodyear seem to be the standouts, if you want to narrow down your search.
Interesting polls... I had seen the "least" fav but had not seem the "best" one... Peoria has been a new consideration (as of today) but I didn't know enough to commit time this weekend to view it - based on the poll(s) I think I will... Thanks for the links to the polls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area