Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 05:22 PM

84 posts, read 105,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Maybe they took the really long way from the Gila River Reservation to Whittman/Morristown! South Mountain Freeway will help out once it is completed.
I followed my Garmin GPS which routed me for Tucson to Vegas directly through Phoenix during rush hour. If I had to do it over again, yes I would have looked into taking a different route, but I did not expect to get stuck in traffic so long. I am not sure if there is a better route, but I will look at Google maps next time. As noted, it was rush hour during construction and it really did take me 3 hours, possibly an accident but not sure.

I have been in and around Houston many many years, and I'd say traffic in PHX may be slightly better, but not enough to celebrate. The road system in Houston is much more advanced, you can take toll roads or loops to go around the traffic, in PHX seemed to me you are stuck on the main freeways or highways (some have lights!).

PHX vs. Houston traffic is no reason to celebrate, it's too close to call, at least to me and once you count Houston's toll road and loop alternative routes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 06:20 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,973,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryTucson View Post
I followed my Garmin GPS which routed me for Tucson to Vegas directly through Phoenix during rush hour. If I had to do it over again, yes I would have looked into taking a different route, but I did not expect to get stuck in traffic so long. I am not sure if there is a better route, but I will look at Google maps next time. As noted, it was rush hour during construction and it really did take me 3 hours, possibly an accident but not sure.

I have been in and around Houston many many years, and I'd say traffic in PHX may be slightly better, but not enough to celebrate. The road system in Houston is much more advanced, you can take toll roads or loops to go around the traffic, in PHX seemed to me you are stuck on the main freeways or highways (some have lights!).

PHX vs. Houston traffic is no reason to celebrate, it's too close to call, at least to me and once you count Houston's toll road and loop alternative routes.
Which main freeway has lights?

Old 04-16-2016, 09:44 PM

387 posts, read 512,990 times
Do you guys feel like mountains can disorientate your since of directions, making it feel you're in an endless sprawl?

Old 04-16-2016, 09:55 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,973,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Buildings View Post
Do you guys feel like mountains can disorientate your since of directions, making it feel you're in an endless sprawl?
The mountains help because you can tell your moving in a direction. In Houston it can feel like you're on a treadmill.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:58 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,361,694 times
Quote:
Wouldn't it be the opposite? At least for me, I think mountains would help my sense of direction as compared to someplace that is flat as a pancake and you can't see anything on the horizon, except for tress, as a point of reference.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:33 PM

387 posts, read 512,990 times
You guys make good points for locals or people who know the landscape well, but first timers have more trouble (is my theory).

Old 04-17-2016, 07:55 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,745,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Which main freeway has lights?
It sounds like they were on Grand Ave (which is not a freeway) or possibly talking about the 303, which is really still an unfinished project and not a freeway at all yet. You'd need to take one of those two going to Vegas through Phoenix.

But the 3 hour figure is still a big mind blowing, as I drive to Vegas frequently and my whole trip is usually just about 4.5 hours.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:57 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,745,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Wouldn't it be the opposite? At least for me, I think mountains would help my sense of direction as compared to someplace that is flat as a pancake and you can't see anything on the horizon, except for tress, as a point of reference.
I agree with this 1000x over. I moved to a flat place with very little natural geographic features and had a terrible time with directions until I really got to know the place, it took much longer than when I moved to Phoenix. Another problem with older cities is that the roads don't run straight, so at one point on a road you're heading north, a few miles later you're now heading west on the same road. Very difficult.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:37 AM

545 posts, read 1,487,101 times
For the size of PHX, traffic is really not bad at all. It's at least predictable. You know it's going to be slow from this time to this time in this area. Having been in other large cities like Chicago, you could encounter a jam anytime anywhere.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:32 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,477,739 times
Quote:
The Mountains help you know what direction you are going. I usually can always look at camelback mountain and immediately tell which way is north, south, east, or west. Mountains also remind me that there is nature around and it breaks up the "sprawl" if you will. In Houston, since it is so flat, it seems as if you are just going on forever and ever in a constant loop of humanity.
In terms of traffic, the traffic in Phoenix is not that bad, especially if you have the luxury of never having to go on a freeway. I split my time between Phoenix and LA and there is really no comparison. Granted some freeways can get backed up, but when comparing the traffic in Phoenix to LA, SF, ATL, Houston, DC, Miami, NYC or even Boston it is not as bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area