Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 10:26 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,599,903 times

Advertisements

I read that a large influx of people moved into the region over the past 12 months. Is this influx higher than the usual number of people who move into the region? (I also noticed that real estate prices went up quite a bit over the last year compared to the year before.)

Has crime increased (specifically in the Tempe area) since more people moved in? If so, what types of crimes? Violent? car thefts? robberies?

Is the number of jobs growing proportional to the number of people moving in? Or are people outpacing job creation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 11:19 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
Crime in Tempe is still mostly around the University. I'm not aware of a significant increase in other areas of the city. Tempe can only hold so many people, it's landlocked, with little room for new construction (and there hasn't been much in the last year, except from Broadway north.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:44 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Crime in Tempe is still mostly around the University. I'm not aware of a significant increase in other areas of the city. Tempe can only hold so many people, it's landlocked, with little room for new construction (and there hasn't been much in the last year, except from Broadway north.
Yeah, not much construction, Tempe only completed the single largest office project in the state of Arizona in the last year. And there are currently 4 cranes up on other mid-rises in the city, (6 if you can't the two at Sun Devil Stadium). Mill Ave and the town Lake area are close to breaking ground on quite a few other projects that will soon make Tempe look as dense as many larger cities. Apache is also starting to become more dense from Rural to the 101. Here is a somewhat old article now (2014) that lists out Tempe's explosive growth.

Tempe Rising: The Valley College Town Is Exploding with Development | Phoenix New Times

Old 04-18-2016, 07:57 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,955,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Yeah, not much construction, Tempe only completed the single largest office project in the state of Arizona in the last year. And there are currently 4 cranes up on other mid-rises in the city, (6 if you can't the two at Sun Devil Stadium). Mill Ave and the town Lake area are close to breaking ground on quite a few other projects that will soon make Tempe look as dense as many larger cities. Apache is also starting to become more dense from Rural to the 101. Here is a somewhat old article now (2014) that lists out Tempe's explosive growth.

Tempe Rising: The Valley College Town Is Exploding with Development | Phoenix New Times
He said "except from Broadway north" which is correct. Broadway south is almost unchanged.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:35 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Tempe has been moving up, especially around the university. Tons of mid rise apartments and condos. I feel like the last few years there has been quite a large boom in Tempe, mainly around ASU and the light rail line. Landlocked hasn't stopped them.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:55 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
He said "except from Broadway north" which is correct. Broadway south is almost unchanged.
It seems very odd to avoid the only growing area of a city when someone is asking how it's growing. I did not say the person is wrong, I merely pointed out the sheer volume of growth in that "except from Broadway north" area. Not only is it becoming a huge part of Tempe's city economy it's quickly becoming a huge contributor to the valley's economy. I'd say the last 12 months have seen a huge change in Tempe and the next 24-48 appear to be lining up for even more.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:11 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,599,903 times
Is it commercial construction, residential, or both?

Old 04-18-2016, 02:34 PM

2,274 posts, read 3,075,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post
Is it commercial construction, residential, or both?
In Tempe it's mostly office, multi-family (apartments), and commercial. In Phoenix metro as a whole there is plenty of single-family construction, as well, but it's mostly in the outskirts of town in places like Buckeye, north Peoria, Surprise, Gilbert, Queen Creek, east Mesa, and San Tan Valley, with some in places like far north Phoenix, Laveen, and scattered other suburbs also. There are new commercial, mixed-use, and condo developments going on around downtown Phoenix, old Scottsdale, and downtown Chandler/Gilbert, too.

Here is a map showing many of the major construction projects around town: http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/d...e-biggest.html

Old 04-19-2016, 03:05 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post

"Up around the University", in my mind included Mill Ave, Marina Heights, and the apartment buildings built recently within a mile or two of campus. Yes, lots going on up there. As I said before, from Broadway south, not a lot of change in terms of construction (or crime, for that matter). Northern Tempe will look fairly dense, yes. The rest of it, (thankfully) no. I don't think there is any land available for SFH developments. Townhouses, maybe, but that's it.

Seemed as though the OP's main concern was whether increased crime was being seen with the reported influx of population. In Tempe, I'm not seeing it. I recently out of curiousity subscribed to a crime alert notification service that gives me everything within 5 miles of my house. Virtually all of it is in west Mesa.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:18 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post
I read that a large influx of people moved into the region over the past 12 months. Is this influx higher than the usual number of people who move into the region? (I also noticed that real estate prices went up quite a bit over the last year compared to the year before.)

Has crime increased (specifically in the Tempe area) since more people moved in? If so, what types of crimes? Violent? car thefts? robberies?

Is the number of jobs growing proportional to the number of people moving in? Or are people outpacing job creation?
Tempe is growing at a slower pace in residential development because it's restricted on available land, most of the new growth is in a condensed fashion in northern Tempe.

Where Tempe is growing the most is in the workcenter environment so that's where a lot of the good jobs will be.

The west valley is outpacing the east valley in new residents but jobs aren't in high creation like they are in central Phoenix, Tempe, and Chandler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area