Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 04:38 PM

6,704 posts, read 5,933,155 times

Advertisements

It seems there's a bit of a real estate rebound happening in Arizona.

My home in north Glendale has recovered much of its value, according to Zillow. Sadly, we had to relocate back East because of my job, but we held onto the house, a modest 3-bedroom 2-bath ranch in a nice middle class neighborhood near W. Union Hills and 59th Ave. Nothing fancy, but decent size yards, 2-car garage, lot of potential for a renovator.

When we bought it, mid-2007, for $226K, it seemed like such a bargain compared to houses in Massachusetts, New York, and Connecticut.

Then, of course, the implosion began and around 2010-2011, Zillow was telling us the place was worth $110K. I found a job back east, and had to relocate my family, but hung onto the house. Friends were saying, "Oh, just walk away from it. Short-sell it. Send the keys back to the bank."

No way. I held onto the house, found a good management agency to rent it out, renewed the home warranty, and here we are, almost five years later, still the same tenant and Zillow now says it's up to $190K.

The management agency suggested we raise the rent for this next year, but I am keeping it the same ($950). My attitude is, she's been a good tenant, the house looks nicer than when we lived there, and although I lose a bit every month, I'd rather keep a good tenant.

Once the house is in the low $200s, we can start to think about getting some of our money back out of it. But part of me wants to just hang onto it forever. It'll be retirement income, or perhaps a retirement home some day.

Meanwhile, we rent a tiny home back East that would cost us 3-4 times as much, and no garage! Pitiful.

My great regret? That I didn't have the bucks to buy 3-4 more houses in 2011.

Anyone else in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 04:47 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
It seems there's a bit of a real estate rebound happening in Arizona.

My home in north Glendale has recovered much of its value, according to Zillow. Sadly, we had to relocate back East because of my job, but we held onto the house, a modest 3-bedroom 2-bath ranch in a nice middle class neighborhood near W. Union Hills and 59th Ave. Nothing fancy, but decent size yards, 2-car garage, lot of potential for a renovator.

When we bought it, mid-2007, for $226K, it seemed like such a bargain compared to houses in Massachusetts, New York, and Connecticut.

Then, of course, the implosion began and around 2010-2011, Zillow was telling us the place was worth $110K. I found a job back east, and had to relocate my family, but hung onto the house. Friends were saying, "Oh, just walk away from it. Short-sell it. Send the keys back to the bank."

No way. I held onto the house, found a good management agency to rent it out, renewed the home warranty, and here we are, almost five years later, still the same tenant and Zillow now says it's up to $190K.

The management agency suggested we raise the rent for this next year, but I am keeping it the same ($950). My attitude is, she's been a good tenant, the house looks nicer than when we lived there, and although I lose a bit every month, I'd rather keep a good tenant.

Once the house is in the low $200s, we can start to think about getting some of our money back out of it. But part of me wants to just hang onto it forever. It'll be retirement income, or perhaps a retirement home some day.

Meanwhile, we rent a tiny home back East that would cost us 3-4 times as much, and no garage! Pitiful.

My great regret? That I didn't have the bucks to buy 3-4 more houses in 2011.

Anyone else in this situation?
You might pay an agent to do a BPO on the property and see what it is really worth, Zillow is drastically off (either high or low) on most of my properties.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:53 PM

784 posts, read 923,064 times
The only prices on Zillow that are somewhat accurate are the sell prices......the value price is usually way off.

Look for the houses in your area that have sold in the last 3 months....that is a good clue.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:41 PM

135 posts, read 165,392 times
I am currently in the market to purchase a home. The price I'm looking, 250-300, homes are under contract within 3 days of listing. I have scheduled multiple showings of homes, only to have them canceled because they go under contract before my appointment. The homes I have made offers on have all been multi offer situations.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:12 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,685,213 times
I have family members who own a couple of properties in that area & I actually believe the current values are being held in check temporarily by the amount of inventory coming online - I've told them to hold on at least for a couple more years before cashing in. In that specific area, I think the basic 1132 sq ft 3/2's will hit the $220-230k range in a couple years - selling now might well be leaving 30-40k on the table. The rent income is nice, but the equity you'll likely gain will outstrip the rent & in any case, I don't see you losing any money by holding on, if you can. As it is, the nicely rehabbed / decorated ones are pulling numbers like that on occasion. It only takes a couple good (or bad) comps to change everyone's values for better or worse.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:15 PM

639 posts, read 971,725 times
Our neighborhood, most houses that are being listed have been going under deposit within 12-24 hours of listing. I'm thankful for that since we're starting to get ready to sell it. But yes - prices have been going up and we're seeing how quickly homes are selling here as well.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:22 PM

576 posts, read 831,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

Kudos to you! And I totally agree - great renters are few and far between. Keep treating her well.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:58 PM

135 posts, read 165,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy6879 View Post
Our neighborhood, most houses that are being listed have been going under deposit within 12-24 hours of listing. I'm thankful for that since we're starting to get ready to sell it. But yes - prices have been going up and we're seeing how quickly homes are selling here as well.
I would be interested to see how the recently announced layoffs at Intel will effect the Gilbert and Chandler areas.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:11 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,685,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw51882 View Post
I would be interested to see how the recently announced layoffs at Intel will effect the Gilbert and Chandler areas.
Losing 500 jobs is never good, but if any area of the valley can take it, it's gilbert & chandler - they bounced back quick after the crash & all the other employers there are doing fine.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:37 AM

710 posts, read 3,391,880 times
I live around the corner from Intel and would say there has been an uptick in houses coming on the market. They do seem to get multiple offers in the first week though.

And to OP, I like your morals and integrity. First, for keeping an upside-down house from across the country when at the time, everyone was walking away, and second, for respecting the renter enough not to increase her rent now that times are different. Class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area