Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 09:01 PM

576 posts, read 831,016 times

Advertisements

I come from the midwest, where a hardware store is a HARDWARE store! Real big selection of real hardware - not dog food, laundry soap, etc. We also had farm and home stores that had great prices on bulk nuts and bolts, etc. Is there anything like this in the NW valley (Glendale, Surprise, Peoria, Sun Cities)?

No, I do not consider Home Depot and Lowes Hardware stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 10:57 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
I think all the good mom & pop 'good variety of quality products' stores have succumbed to the Home Depot's, Lowe's, Ace, and True Value franchised stores. Most everything is limited in selection and made of Chinese junk.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:46 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,610,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I think all the good mom & pop 'good variety of quality products' stores have succumbed to the Home Depot's, Lowe's, Ace, and True Value franchised stores. Most everything is limited in selection and made of Chinese junk.
Agreed.

"Hardware" stores have become more of a big box thing -- what with Home Depot & Lowe's in Arizona -- where I usually end up going. I rarely go to any True Value stores myself, but it depends what town or city I'm in. I still will darken the doorway of an Ace Hardware store from time to time, and I may even go in. However, Ace can be a bit pricier than other places.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:18 PM

Ha ha! Where I came from, they had HD, Lowes, and Menards. Menards used to be really good, but they fell into the "sell on volume" mentality and got rid of a lot of their hardware to make room for dog food, milk, beds, etc. One night I was in there to buy a clevis.... found the clevis, but no pin. Asked the teenage clerk and of course, he had never heard of a clevis pin. When I explained it to him he said "Oh yeah, I think we used to carry those but we don't anymore". I told him I understood because they probably had to make room for dog food!

Old 05-04-2016, 10:13 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,308 times
There is a place called Tractor Supply in Tolleson. It's more of an old school, midwest style store. It's still a chain, but their staff seems more knowledgable.

Harbor Freight is also throughout the valley. I love the place for picking up cheap tools for small projects. Most professionals will roll their eyes when you mention the store, but I have had good luck with their stuff and selection.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:06 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,610,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
There is a place called Tractor Supply in Tolleson. It's more of an old school, midwest style store. It's still a chain, but their staff seems more knowledgable.

Harbor Freight is also throughout the valley. I love the place for picking up cheap tools for small projects. Most professionals will roll their eyes when you mention the store, but I have had good luck with their stuff and selection.
You're right.

A Swiss Army knife may be a far better tool than most of the pot metal cr_p sold at Harbor Freight, but for certain, light, non-professional application -- their j_nk ain't too bad.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:20 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,921 times
As a professional I love Harbor Freight for various tools, mostly the cheap power tools. They are semi disposable but easily replaced. Especially stuff that I I share with the workers, like my grinder or impact drill. Actually, that impact is like 3 years old now with heavy use. Somehow it outlived my expensive Makita.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:17 PM

Tractor Supply? That's awesome - I love those stores! We had them up north, thought they were a regional chain. I will definitely check out the Tolleson store... Thanks!

They just opened a new Harbor Freight store less than a mile from me in Surprise. I too have had pretty good luck with their stuff - except for electric tools. Their air tools seem to be ok, but the electric I had bad luck with and now spend the extra money to get name brand stuff. But overall, they have great prices and lots of stuff beside tools.... even some hardware!

Old 05-06-2016, 09:27 PM

Thought I would post a follow up....

Today, I visited the TSC (Tractor Supply Co.) store in Tolleson. They did not have a lot of the true hardware stuff that I have seen at other TSC stores, but I was able to stock up on nuts and bolts for I believe it was $2.29 a lb. They did have a good selection of those.

I also found out about a place called Mark's Nuts and Bolts at 6710 W Belmont in Glendale that is awesome! They have just about any kind of fastener you might need! I was able to find some bevel washers there that I could not find anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area