Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 09:05 AM

445 posts, read 516,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
The trains should have fareboxes and turnstiles where people can't ride unless they insert their tickets.

I think something like this is needed because the honor system doesn't work too well.
I actually completely agree with this. I realize that Phoenix isn't the only metro area whose light rail system operates on an honor system, but Valley Metro is pissing away money by going this route. I have to think the extra investment in equipment and personnel to manage fare compliance would be far outweighed by the additional revenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 10:32 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,753,671 times
It is not feasible to do such a thing on an at-grade rail system. I have been asked to provide my ticket many times by fare inspectors. Moderator cut: .

Last edited by yellowbelle; 06-01-2016 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: off topic, rude

Old 06-01-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
It is not feasible to do such a thing on an at-grade rail system. I have been asked to provide my ticket many times by fare inspectors.
Moderator cut: .

It would be feasible if you set up turnstiles and completely section off the remainder of the platform. All it takes is some fencing. Not saying you wouldn't still have turnstile-jumpers like you do in any city, but you'd get a lot more people who pay then.

And I admit I only take the light rail a few times a month on average, but I have never once been asked to show my ticket.

Last edited by yellowbelle; 06-01-2016 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: off topic quote and reply have been moderated

Old 06-01-2016, 05:55 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,753,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant79 View Post
It would be feasible if you set up turnstiles and completely section off the remainder of the platform. All it takes is some fencing. Not saying you wouldn't still have turnstile-jumpers like you do in any city, but you'd get a lot more people who pay then.

And I admit I only take the light rail a few times a month on average, but I have never once been asked to show my ticket.
When it is at grade you can simply walk around the fence/barrier on the tracks, and step up onto the platform.

Last edited by yellowbelle; 06-01-2016 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: quoted post has been moderated

Old 06-01-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
When it is at grade you can simply walk around the fence/barrier on the tracks, and step up onto the platform.
And you can jump over a turnstile if it's a subway or elevated train. I know...used to do it all the time when I was an [snip] teenager. No doubt it isn't a perfect solution, but the current system almost invites people to not pay their fare. I'm not exaggerating when I saw that I have never once been asked to show my ticket. My wife has only ever been asked once.

An alternative would be to set up fare card machines at train car entrances and have each car manned with a Valley Metro employee to enforce compliance, although that would certainly slow down the boarding process. Either that, or simply step up enforcement by verifying tickets on more trips. No doubt labor costs would go up, but I can't imagine how it wouldn't pay for itself tenfold.

Last edited by yellowbelle; 06-01-2016 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: tripped language filter

Old 06-01-2016, 06:45 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,977,264 times
Quote:
I think the free rider problem is overhyped I see security all the time.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:59 PM

13,354 posts, read 7,385,078 times
Also another idea is to just use RFID tickets and software can be used with a security camera to count the people in each car doesn't add up they alert police to that car for ticket inspection and make the fine $500.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:13 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,977,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Also another idea is to just use RFID tickets and software can be used with a security camera to count the people in each car doesn't add up they alert police to that car for ticket inspection and make the fine $500.
I wonder if that would be cheaper or more expensive then just doing it as we are.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:37 PM

13,354 posts, read 7,385,078 times
RFID sticker rolls are cheap when you buy large quantity's fast google search I found for 20 cents each. https://www.atlasrfidstore.com/ This is what they are using in stores when you pass though the door with an item that hasn't had the tag deactivated. The tag inside the box is discarded.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:22 PM

770 posts, read 839,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I think the free rider problem is overhyped I see security all the time.
Indeed it is I take the light rail every day to work downtown and everyday they are on there checking everyone's fare. Sometimes 2 times per trip most of the comments are by people who have never taken the light rail here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area