Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2016, 02:39 PM

346 posts, read 339,152 times

Advertisements

There was a thread about quality of life in the area a few weeks back and the OP mentioned the # of tattoo sleeved people and linked it to an overall lack of professionalism/professional jobs here. I am lucky enough to get to bounce around between here, Cali, and the east coast and I have to say I see more arm sleeves here than anywhere else now that I think about it. Is this really a negative in your opinions? I am a bit under 40 so I don't think I have put a stigma on sleeves but this got me thinking

Mod note: Please keep replies on topic to the Phoenix area.

Last edited by yellowbelle; 06-13-2016 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: added mod note

Old 06-12-2016, 11:12 PM

975 posts, read 1,404,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarksn9 View Post
There was a thread about quality of life in the area a few weeks back and the OP mentioned the # of tattoo sleeved people and linked it to an overall lack of professionalism/professional jobs here. I am lucky enough to get to bounce around between here, Cali, and the east coast and I have to say I see more arm sleeves here than anywhere else now that I think about it. Is this really a negative in your opinions? I am a bit under 40 so I don't think I have put a stigma on sleeves but this got me thinking
I perceive it as a negative.

There are a ton of sleeve tattoos in Arizona because Arizona generally has less high paying white collar jobs than other metropolitan areas.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:11 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,211 times
I'm moving back to AZ, and it seems like all my AZ FB friends 40+ are getting large tattoos! What?! It is unacceptable here. Looked down upon. It is probably related to low wages and also AZ in a maverick state.
Moderator cut: .

Last edited by yellowbelle; 06-16-2016 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: off topic commentary deleted

Old 06-16-2016, 03:07 PM

90 posts, read 150,673 times
About 8 years ago I was deciding on doing a full sleeve. I found the artist I liked and we worked on a conceptual design. The artist then sketched the piece down my arm with various size sharpes and allowed me to assess it. After living with it for a few days I came to a realization that a piece of that size was not for me. So, I scrapped a majority of it and now I am pleased I did. I work in a professional environment and I deal with a wide range of folks. No matter where I would be living, I believe it would have been more of a hinderance than a positive, given my profession.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:46 PM

924 posts, read 751,657 times
Not quite full-on sleeves, but I do know several people in the library system who have tattoos, and these are all people who work at the customer service desk. (One of them was even in the Administration department before getting a job with another area of city government)

Old 06-16-2016, 04:19 PM

445 posts, read 515,507 times
I think Phoenix and the Southwest in general tends to have a much more permissive attitude when it comes to visible tattoos, whether they are full sleeves or something else. As has been mentioned in other threads, people in Phoenix tend to have a "live and let live" attitude, and visible tattoos seem much more accepted and common out here.

Another factor is the weather. You don't see tattoos as much on people in other parts of the country because most of those parts of the country have weather that forces people to wear much more clothing a good portion of the year. In the Northeast or the Midwest, where people tend to have on long pants and long sleeves 8-9 months of the year, you're not going to notice half the people who have large pieces on their arms or legs. Not the case here in the desert, where people where t-shirts all year long. For that reason, it probably appears that more people have tattoos out here than in other parts of the country.

I have a full sleeve on my right arm and a half sleeve on my left. I have a professional career and I do wear long sleeves to work every day, but I do that by choice rather than because someone told me I had to. If I still lived in the Midwest, I would have likely had that choice made for me already at most companies.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:13 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,970,654 times
It's going to limit your employment opportunities in a place that already has very limited employment opportunities. Being forced to wear long sleeves would be bad enough. Here is a word to the wise about "Buddha" tattoos. I know Phoenix has lots of meth-head warning billboards....here is one warning people about tattoos.
Attached Thumbnails
Tattoo Sleeves-dsc_0000189.jpg  

Last edited by Hal Roach; 06-16-2016 at 11:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: