Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 09:03 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,598,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Next apartment (and final one before leaving the valley) will be near the light rail, I love it. Our lease at our current place is up in September, and we are choosing between Camden Copper Square (7th St&Van Buren) or Pala Mesa (Apache at the Tempe city limit). Most likely going with Camden, considering Pala Mesa, because an old manager of our current complex and friend works there now
Camden copper square is a rough place in a rough area! And I have a lot of respect for Camden myself... If the train tracks weren't right to your south, I'd recommend Pala Mesa. It's the only thing that keeps me for calling it an awesome place to live. Just drove by it this afternoon as I went to Safeway on Dobson/Main before home .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 10:29 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,644,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
Camden copper square is a rough place in a rough area! And I have a lot of respect for Camden myself... If the train tracks weren't right to your south, I'd recommend Pala Mesa. It's the only thing that keeps me for calling it an awesome place to live. Just drove by it this afternoon as I went to Safeway on Dobson/Main before home .
Please, I live within walking distance of Copper Square now, that section of Van Buren hasn't been bad for 15-20 years, granted it gets worse east of 12th St, but where I live is worse and I don't feel unsafe

Old 06-23-2016, 08:28 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,704,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
You aren't talking about the same area. This is about Central Phoenix.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:42 AM

604 posts, read 935,840 times
Great success story...until you look at cost. Notice how in the cited opinion piece (it is NOT a news item), written by politicians justifying their billions of dollars expenditure of tax money, did not mention COST. Riders pay about ⅓ of the operation cost, not a dime toward it’s development. How long would it take those 56,000 daily riders (an inflated number) to pay for the system?

Wonder why voters don’t trust politicos? Because the politicians deny reality!

Old 06-23-2016, 08:50 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,363,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
Great success story...until you look at cost. Notice how in the cited opinion piece (it is NOT a news item), written by politicians justifying their billions of dollars expenditure of tax money, did not mention COST. Riders pay about ⅓ of the operation cost, not a dime toward it’s development. How long would it take those 56,000 daily riders (an inflated number) to pay for the system?

True, but in defense does any mass transit system in the US make money or break even? I thought I read somewhere that even the NYC Metro loses money, and if that system can't break even, no system in the entire US is going to break even!

Old 06-23-2016, 09:07 AM

2,790 posts, read 7,464,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
True, but in defense does any mass transit system in the US make money or break even? I thought I read somewhere that even the NYC Metro loses money, and if that system can't break even, no system in the entire US is going to break even!
Absolutely right. No public transit -- whether or rail or bus -- in any U.S. city is 100% funded by passenger fares. Likewise, road building and maintenance is not even close to fully funded by fuel taxes and vehicle registration fees paid by drivers. For better or worse, all transportation is subsidized, so the question is how best to allocate those subsidies.

Last edited by exit2lef; 06-23-2016 at 10:26 AM..

Old 06-23-2016, 10:15 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,317,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post

Everything costs money. If you want more services, you will have to pay for it. The problem is when residents feel entitled to certain services but then think it should be low cost or free. It doesn't work that way. This is an age old problem in the Phoenix area. Residents complain about poor education and all of these aspects lacking in the Valley but then want to keep their taxes really low. Can't have it both ways.I think investing in public transportation is a worthwhile expenditure and yes, it's going to cost money.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:24 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,644,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Everything costs money. If you want more services, you will have to pay for it. The problem is when residents feel entitled to certain services but then think it should be low cost or free. It doesn't work that way. This is an age old problem in the Phoenix area. Residents complain about poor education and all of these aspects lacking in the Valley but then want to keep their taxes really low. Can't have it both ways.I think investing in public transportation is a worthwhile expenditure and yes, it's going to cost money.
You nailed it, and this is one of the many reasons I don't like the right wing, anti-progress politics/attitude in this area

Old 06-23-2016, 04:19 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,751,623 times
Pretty good. We got to post #24 before the inevitable anti-rail blather came in.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:37 AM

169 posts, read 281,829 times
Deja vu....the same debate every time light rail is brought up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area