Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2016, 09:55 AM

3 posts, read 3,824 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have a window in our home office that is very small for the room/wall. I would like to increase the size of the window. Our home is about 5 yrs old, typical AZ stucco build. Given the location of the room, I do not think there is any major electrical or anything else in this wall - just electrical to the outlets there.

Current window is about 4 feet wide, and relatively square-ish. I would like to put in a window that is rectangular, maybe 6 feet by 5 feet or so...I haven't even measured yet, so I'm just sort of guesstimating.

What I would like to know is the ROUGH cost to change it out - including window/other materials cost, structural/stucco/drywall work. Assume a relatively high quality, double pane window (they actually have like sort of white 'lattice' between the panes to simulate the look of old style windows - the effect simulates the glass panes look you might see on a french door)

I know this is not enough to give a good estimate, but I'm looking for order of magnitude type numbers. Am I looking at 1k, 2k, 4k, etc.

Thanks for any help,

Kevin
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 12:16 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easteraz View Post
Hi,
I have a window in our home office that is very small for the room/wall. I would like to increase the size of the window. Our home is about 5 yrs old, typical AZ stucco build. Given the location of the room, I do not think there is any major electrical or anything else in this wall - just electrical to the outlets there.

Current window is about 4 feet wide, and relatively square-ish. I would like to put in a window that is rectangular, maybe 6 feet by 5 feet or so...I haven't even measured yet, so I'm just sort of guesstimating.

What I would like to know is the ROUGH cost to change it out - including window/other materials cost, structural/stucco/drywall work. Assume a relatively high quality, double pane window (they actually have like sort of white 'lattice' between the panes to simulate the look of old style windows - the effect simulates the glass panes look you might see on a french door)

I know this is not enough to give a good estimate, but I'm looking for order of magnitude type numbers. Am I looking at 1k, 2k, 4k, etc.

Thanks for any help,

Kevin
Having just bought a bunch of windows & doors, I'll bite..

The window itself is really no big deal as far as cost.. Aluminum, vinyl, fiberglass, wood-clad, get whatever you like & pay a little extra for quality if it's a window you want to open & close a lot. The window isn't the expensive part.

A huge 7 foot tall, by 6 foot wide, round-top "architectural" window (actually a 1/2 round window "mulled" to a rectangular window) cost me about $800 on sale @lowes - and both the depot & lowes have window "sales" every week or two for 15-20% off.. I bought it as a bronze-tinted/low-e/grates inside the glass/ setup, so none of that was particularly expensive. A "plain" 6 ft by 5 foot tinted/low-e window for the back of the house was about $400.. and I think the tinting added $50-$60 to the cost? Mine were Pella, but Milgard, Anderson, etc all have decent windows at decent prices.

(Side note, I would *not* buy pella windows at Lowes again, I bought 20-something windows in three different shipments & prolly 75% of them had scuffs/dings & minor damage on them
when they arrived, not *quite* enough damage to send them back & wait another 3 weeks for new ones, but enough to **** me off, because my $10,000 worth of windows & doors were handled roughly in shipping & lowes blamed pella, pella blamed lowes & I'm the one who got to spend a Saturday scrubbing the scuffs & trying to finesse the dings out)

The big wrinkle with enlarging a window is you need a bigger (longer) "header" over the window & to do that legally, you want a building permit. So there's a couple hundred bucks, and to get that permit, you'll want a drawing done by an engineer that states "adding a header of 2x10" pine lumber of a window six feet long is safe".. Not as expensive as you might think, maybe $200-ish?

Then you're paying someone to chop out the old window, install the header & stuff the new window in.. According to the drawing specified by your engineer. Maybe $600-$800~ish? It's not even a full day's work for someone with experience..

Finishing I'd figure $200 for a stucco-dude (typical minimum charge), and $150-200 for a drywall-dude (minimum charge)..

Soooo.. Two grand, soaking-wet, done legally & with permits & ready-for paint touch ups?

Maybe half that if you hire a handyman on Craigslist to do it without permits?

Last edited by Zippyman; 06-22-2016 at 12:39 PM..

Old 06-22-2016, 05:00 PM

3 posts, read 3,824 times
Thanks Zippy - great info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area