Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2016, 05:20 PM

391 posts, read 753,737 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate to Phoenix for a year because of the dry air.

What's the best place with lots of nature and open space? Scottsdale seems a bit crowded.

Also, how common is mold in homes in Phoenix? Anything I should think about to avoid it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 06:01 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post

What's the best place with lots of nature and open space? Scottsdale seems a bit crowded.

Also, how common is mold in homes in Phoenix? Anything I should think about to avoid it?
Where do you work? Do you mind commutes?

Quiet nice areas I'd look in: East Mesa, North Scottsdale, Carefree, Cave Creek, Gilbert, North Peoria, Goodyear.

All of these are integrated into the natural desert, maybe Goodyear less so but parts of it are natural (it tends to be landscaped instead of natural).

Old 06-26-2016, 06:06 PM

391 posts, read 753,737 times
I work from home so doesn't really matter where I live.

Actually I want to live in Sedona if I can find a decent house to rent there. But as a backup I am looking at Phoenix.

Thanks for the suggestions I will research them all.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:28 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
Mold isnt common unless you have plumbing issues.

You should know, basements are not common. Standard issue is floating slab on grade.

If you can, I'd rather live in an area with SRP as a utility, I've had better experiences with them then APS.

Good luck and welcome!

Old 06-26-2016, 08:30 PM

13,716 posts, read 7,987,762 times
Much of East Mesa shuts down by 9 pm.

I was surprised at how quiet and dark the area gets

As far as housing goes you'll probably get more bang for your buck in east Mesa than say Chandler or Gilbert.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:58 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,520,819 times
Buckeye

Old 06-27-2016, 11:26 AM

743 posts, read 876,199 times
Quote:
I work from home so doesn't really matter where I live.

Actually I want to live in Sedona if I can find a decent house to rent there. But as a backup I am looking at Phoenix.

Thanks for the suggestions I will research them all.
Sedona gets my vote. It's quiet, has the desert vibe, and it's absolutely beautiful. They take great care in maintaining low profile businesses. The businesses have to blend into the surroundings--a great example is the McDonalds. They are the only Mcdonalds to have teal colored arches and the sign is low. It's a pretty laid back town too.

The temps aren't as severe as Phoenix. They get some snow in the "winter".

Welcome to AZ!

Old 06-27-2016, 11:30 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Quote:

Im just letting you know, its not dry all year. The hottest summer months (July, August, and September) are quite humid. No one ever mentions that. Its not Louisiana-style humidity, but its definitely not bone dry, either. My wife's body aches super bad during monsoon season. If I were you, I would do spring, fall, and winter here, and summer in, say, Colorado. Right now our humidity is still a bit low, but its approaching 30%, with a dew point of 60-degrees. It can get far worse than that, and you can already feel the stickiness.

I would recommend Fountain Hills. Youre on the edge of nowhere, and it has lots of access to wide open spaces, and is generally cheaper than Scottsdale.

Mold is more common here than you think, but not a prevalent Valley-wide problem. Our condo in Scottsdale had quite a bit of mold that needed to be removed. We had black mold along our baseboards when we moved in. Upon closer inspection, they found it between the walls in the guest bedrooms, as well as all 3 closets. They set up monstrous, hot fans to dry it out, then removed about 3' of drywall from each of the rooms, as well as replaced carpeting in the closets with hardwood.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:00 AM

39 posts, read 38,577 times
How old are you? Sun City has age requirements but is a quiet place at night and has a variety of price options. Since you don't have to commute maybe consider Wickenburg, not too far out of town, cools down more than the valley at night, and is quiet.

Mold is not that much of an issue here unless you have a leak or use a swamp cooler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area