Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 10:46 AM

445 posts, read 516,638 times

Advertisements

I haven't taken a traditional cab in several years now. All I know is that it's at least $10 cheaper (unless there is surge pricing) for me to get between Tempe and my house in North-Central Phoenix. Plus, I've found that I'm less likely to get an ******* driver who talks on his phone the entire ride. As long as Uber and Lyft are around and price competitive, I'll probably never take a traditional cab ride again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 04:18 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,751,623 times
I have never experienced the problems that people seem to have with taxi drivers. My only experience with them in Phoenix has been rides home from the airport but never has the cab been dirty, smelled bad, nor has the driver ever been rude. I do think that Uber is cheaper and if I needed a ride between two random locations in town I would probably use Uber, but the convenience of walking outside of the airport and getting into a cab is to me way better than dealing with getting somebody to come pick me up. Too damned hot for that, usually. I have used Uber in other cities and had no problem with that either.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:07 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,646,508 times
I wasn't going to enter this discussion, but my hand has been forced...

UBER IS CHEAPER BECAUSE THE DRIVER IS HAVING TO SOAK UP ALL THE COSTS OF OPERATING THE CAR!!!!!

A taxi is more expensive, but it is because you are paying what the ride is actually worth, when insurance, fuel, maintenance, taxes, etc are all taken into account.

With Uber/Lyft, etc, the driver is having to take a bath in most of those expenses, vastly reducing their profit, so with Uber/Lyft, the passenger and the company win, while the driver (the one doing the work) loses, I just get so angry that so many people are okay with that arrangement!

Old 06-29-2016, 05:25 PM

975 posts, read 1,406,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post

UBER IS CHEAPER BECAUSE THE DRIVER IS HAVING TO SOAK UP ALL THE COSTS OF OPERATING THE CAR!!!!!

A taxi is more expensive, but it is because you are paying what the ride is actually worth, when insurance, fuel, maintenance, taxes, etc are all taken into account.

With Uber/Lyft, etc, the driver is having to take a bath in most of those expenses, vastly reducing their profit, so with Uber/Lyft, the passenger and the company win, while the driver (the one doing the work) loses, I just get so angry that so many people are okay with that arrangement!
The argument generally made is that the driver is a knowing participant in this scheme and therefore if the driver agrees to pick up an Uber/Lyft passenger the driver is willing to drive that passenger for virtually nothing.

Being an Uber/Lyft driver is like playing the lottery. Most of the time, you're going to end up losing money. However, drivers continue to drive for the hopes that they'll get that elusive lucrative fare or large tip.

Also, there's pretty much a revolving door of drivers. Once drivers realize that there's no money to be had, they stop driving. However, this isn't until after they've referred other drivers to start driving for Uber / Lyft for hopes of getting the referral bonus.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
The argument generally made is that the driver is a knowing participant in this scheme and therefore if the driver agrees to pick up an Uber/Lyft passenger the driver is willing to drive that passenger for virtually nothing.

Being an Uber/Lyft driver is like playing the lottery. Most of the time, you're going to end up losing money. However, drivers continue to drive for the hopes that they'll get that elusive lucrative fare or large tip.

Also, there's pretty much a revolving door of drivers. Once drivers realize that there's no money to be had, they stop driving. However, this isn't until after they've referred other drivers to start driving for Uber / Lyft for hopes of getting the referral bonus.
It makes me glad that not any old person can drive a semi-tractor, or I wouldn't make any money either

Old 06-30-2016, 10:05 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,666,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post

So what? The drivers aren't enslaved by Uber. They choose to work for them under the current pay structure. You can't blame the consumers for going for the option that offers them the best value. Welcome to the free market.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
So what? The drivers aren't enslaved by Uber. They choose to work for them under the current pay structure. You can't blame the consumers for going for the option that offers them the best value. Welcome to the free market.
The uber drivers that don't quit either don't have any other options, or don't realize they are losing money

Again, good value pricing is achieved thru efficiency. This is not value pricing, you are just making the driver pay a portion of what you as the customer should be paying, I figure that at $1.50/mile, an Uber Driver is maybe netting minimum wage, where at the current rate's of $0.90-$1 per mile, they are maybe breaking even.

Again, Uber/Lyft drivers in the long run are working for maybe $2/hr, that is why it is so cheap, the same as the sweatshop model.

Because even if an Uber driver worked 70 hrs in one week and made a GROSS of $800, I guarantee that $650 of that is going right into the vehicle and taxes every quarter (IC's have to pay taxes every 3 months), so that is a NET of $150 for 70 hrs of work, which is around $2.13/hr!

Last edited by FirebirdCamaro1220; 06-30-2016 at 12:50 PM..

Old 06-30-2016, 02:03 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,613,701 times
As Uber cuts rates the drivers can earn you will see less Uber's available. Just google around and check out some uber (ride sharing) message boards.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:03 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,666,532 times
So it seems the market is still trying to find its balance between giving riders a more cost-effective means of transportation while letting the drivers earn a living wage. I trust that it will balance itself out if drivers are unwilling to work for the current pay schedule. In the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy the cheap rides!

Old 07-02-2016, 09:49 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,650,761 times
Just wait until they figure out the driverless cars and they eliminate human drivers altogether. You'll see prices rise dramatically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area