Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2008, 05:05 PM

8 posts, read 23,006 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are looking to relocate to the phoenix area...and there seems so many different suburbs around phoenix and i'm not sure what the "feel" of each are like. I'm looking for a more young, laid back, artsy, liberal feel. I'd love some kind of view of the mountains/golf course or water (coming from hilly, green oregon to flatter hot arizona will be an adjustment!). We would like to stay close to phoenix because that's where all the jobs are! We have around 245k max to spend on a house. Any suggestions? thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 06:22 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,078,964 times
We really don't have "suburbs" as such, like they do in the Chicago area. We have areas and towns, some have downtowns and others do not. None of the towns I can think of are really laid back, artsy or have any real ambience or charm. The people who have moved here from other places are scattered all over the valley; thus, there is not any one place that would meet your qualifications. The closest 'artsy' place would probably be downtown Scottsdale, but its not laid back and its pretty expensive to live there, unless you choose any older house.The best thing would be for you to visit and get a "feel" of the place before deciding where to live. That's my opinion. And you can see the mountains from anywhere cause we are in the valley here.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:24 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,790,743 times
There are a few homes in your price range in the 85257 zip code of Scottsdale.

You'll have a view of the mountains all over as you drive around, but usually you won't see them from your home because other homes will be blocking them.

I help a lot of people relocate to this area and my suggestion, if they aren't familiar with the area and are looking for something specific like you are, is always to come down and rent for awhile so you can physically see the various areas. Then it will be much easier for you do decide in which area is best for you to live.

A very important factor is where you and your fiance will be working. The valley is spread out and you will want to live within a comfortable distance from your work.

As an example, I live in Gilbert in the east valley. Surprise is in the west valley. It is 56 miles from my house to the Surprise court house. During commute hours that is a 2 hour drive, providing there is no accident to make it longer. I don't commute there, but use it as an example to show you the size of the valley. But it's larger than that.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:00 PM

yeah we have friends who are realtors in glendale and we just came down for 4 days - and we plan to rent when we relocate and then buy after we've looked around...but I was just trying to get a sense of the "feel" of towns around phoenix - and if something on the funkier, artier side even existed. We will look for jobs when we move, and the commute will be a big factor for sure! Our friends have a great view of a "mini-mountain" and they're in Eagleridge (which felt like a really nice neighborhood - but lacked a certain character). Portland has all sorts of different neighborhoods and each has a particular cultural feel to it - so I guess i'm wondering if phoenix and surrounding towns had an area that was on the funky arty side.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:07 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,176,851 times
Tempe sounds like what you might be looking for.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:05 PM

919 posts, read 3,398,183 times
Central/North Tempe; Old Town/South Scottsdale; Arcadia (though trickier to find a house at that price point - but condo/renatl for now); Roosevelt area just North of Downtown and certain stretches along Central. These are more akin to the artsy, non-cookie cutter areas that you seek. There are others all over, but if ine had to "cluster" these are good bets.

Keep in mind that it's a very young "big" city that spread out fast and is only just starting to infill. Thus it's tougher to find "artsy" next to "golf course" but its not hard to find open space, parks, etc. throughout.

While still spread out there's a big movement to create and embrace local eateries, shops, pubs, coffee houses, etc. but it's still a bit virginal. One thing for sure is that places change for the better really quickly. Pick a good spot and in a few years you'll be in a hopping area.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:34 PM

549 posts, read 1,560,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywork99 View Post
My fiance and I are looking to relocate to the phoenix area...and there seems so many different suburbs around phoenix and i'm not sure what the "feel" of each are like. I'm looking for a more young, laid back, artsy, liberal feel. I'd love some kind of view of the mountains/golf course or water (coming from hilly, green oregon to flatter hot arizona will be an adjustment!). We would like to stay close to phoenix because that's where all the jobs are! We have around 245k max to spend on a house. Any suggestions? thanks so much!
Phoenix is a bit weird in that it's so young, it doesn't have "neighborhoods" like Chicago or Portland yet. Probably the best areas for you within Phoenix proper would be the Desert Ridge area (around Tatum and the 101 Freeway) which is starting to fill with young professionals. In the near suburbs, though, probably Tempe around Mill Avenue and Scottsdale near downtown will get you the feel you're looking for. Both suburbs are quite close to Phoenix. Tempe will probably be a bit more affordable and has one of the few walkable areas in Mill Avenue. Don't expect Portland, but with the light rail coming in and more and more shops moving downtown, and with the artists in Scottsdale, Phoenix is on its way up. It's just a number of years behind Portland. By the way, it's not that flat. There are mountains everywhere - they just aren't as green.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:41 PM

thanks - that makes a lot of sense...i know phoenix isn't portland (they are very different!) - but i didn't realize how "new" of a city it is compared to the rest...thanks for the input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area