Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 11:53 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,059,457 times

Advertisements

I don't have children and moved out here less than a month ago so I can't offer much advice. But from one northeasterner to another (I spent most of my life in NY), you are in for a treat.

This is a great place to live and work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 03:35 AM

109 posts, read 127,214 times
Thank you so much I will def be contacting you if we get to that point ! I appreciate your offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
The school district in the direct vicinity of your work, Deer Valley School District, is a pretty good one. I would know because I attended schools in this district. The best high schools in the district are Sandra Day O'Connor (which is just up the road), Boulder Creek (Anthem), and Mountain Ridge. You can also look into Northern Peoria like Liberty High.

I would also consider north Scottsdale like Pinnacle and Cactus Shadows (might actually be Cave Creek here).

I also advise that you stay looking East or West of there or North of your work, not south. The schools in West Valley tend to get worse the further south you go. And no need for you given your commute.

If you have any questions about the schools in the Northwest Valley please feel free to ask me, this is where I was raised and I'm familiar with all of them.

So in other words, look into North Phoenix (Anthem and Deer Valley), North Glendale, North Peoria, and North Scottsdale.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:36 AM

That's all I keep hearing my fingers are crossed it works out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
I don't have children and moved out here less than a month ago so I can't offer much advice. But from one northeasterner to another (I spent most of my life in NY), you are in for a treat.

This is a great place to live and work!

Old 07-04-2016, 04:58 PM

722 posts, read 737,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgjmg123123 View Post
Thanks so much. Yes 39 years in jersey ! This sounds so foreign to me lol !
HAHA - You'll be fine - I spent most of my life in NJ too - and love it here - I think Norterra would be lovely for you as well as the other areas already mentioned - Anthem, etc. -

Last edited by smoochaz; 07-04-2016 at 06:07 PM..

Old 07-04-2016, 05:58 PM

722 posts, read 737,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.teach View Post
I can't offer advice because I don't have children and don't yet live in AZ, but I wanted to say hi and that I was also looking for a change - spent most of my life in NJ, moved to NYC for the past 3 years and recently had the opportunity to interview for a position similar to what I'm doing in AZ. I decided that if the opportunity presented itself I would follow it. Went to Arizona for the second/third round interview - and stayed there for 3 days. I have to tell you I fell in love with the atmosphere. Some might say it's not smart to judge a place on only 3 days, but I'm following my heart (and I've done a lot of research). Everything seemed so clean, everyone seemed so laid back and friendly... I'll be leaving practically my whole family and my friends behind (I'm hoping some will follow)... but I think it's for the best. People on the east coast seem to get "stuck" thinking they're in the best place - but we put ourselves through a lot of torture (weather, $, lifestyle, etc). You very rarely hear people on the east coast say they're from AZ - it's because not many people from AZ would trade their lifestyle!

Best of luck to you and your family on whatever you decide to do!
D-I-T-T-O!!! I did the same thing in 1993 - was commuting back/forth to NYC from NJ and it was a hot August day and I just said I had enough I didn't want to regret "living" just existing working and commuting all day long and just exhausted at night - I made a couple phone calls and was trying to get a job in San Diego but all the jobs for me were in Phoenix. Long story short I moved to Phx (thought I'd always have to live on coast!) and I loved every day of it till 2000 when I had to move back for family and other matters - I thought I'd never see AZ again until a fateful trip in Feb 2013 to visit friends and we were like "why did we ever leave" and we sold our house and moved in 6 months - it took us 13 years to come back with kids this time and I'm loving every day!!!

Old 07-04-2016, 06:05 PM

25 posts, read 49,944 times
Look north of the 101 in North Peoria. Fletcher Heights is a nice, as are the newer north Peoria communities (north of the 101 bend). Schools are highly rated. Arrowhead in Glendale is ok too. Surprise is a pretty area too but much further west.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:56 AM

What a great story I hope we have the same

Glad you and your family are so happy !
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochaz View Post
D-I-T-T-O!!! I did the same thing in 1993 - was commuting back/forth to NYC from NJ and it was a hot August day and I just said I had enough I didn't want to regret "living" just existing working and commuting all day long and just exhausted at night - I made a couple phone calls and was trying to get a job in San Diego but all the jobs for me were in Phoenix. Long story short I moved to Phx (thought I'd always have to live on coast!) and I loved every day of it till 2000 when I had to move back for family and other matters - I thought I'd never see AZ again until a fateful trip in Feb 2013 to visit friends and we were like "why did we ever leave" and we sold our house and moved in 6 months - it took us 13 years to come back with kids this time and I'm loving every day!!!

Old 07-05-2016, 09:45 AM

194 posts, read 292,718 times
You're going to love AZ! I homeschool my kids but it's true, from what I've heard, the west valley school districts are not great. The best one is located in Litchfield Park which is where my family and I are moving. It would be a longer commute for you than some of the above mentioned areas (Peoria, North Glendale/Arrowhead, Anthem) but you will probably find a less expensive house, if money is an issue. If not then I recommend going with the other suggestions.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:30 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,847,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italy04 View Post
You're going to love AZ! I homeschool my kids but it's true, from what I've heard, the west valley school districts are not great. The best one is located in Litchfield Park which is where my family and I are moving. It would be a longer commute for you than some of the above mentioned areas (Peoria, North Glendale/Arrowhead, Anthem) but you will probably find a less expensive house, if money is an issue. If not then I recommend going with the other suggestions.
Litchfield is not the best in west valley. Remember Arizona is 48 in education spending, as long as you are in an upper middle class boundary for a school your kid will have great if not the same as the very wealthy areas. Homes in Sandra Day O'Connor area are frequently 400k and above which is high for Arizona. Same with Mountain Ridge. Lots of homes in Arrowhead Ranch that are 800k+.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:43 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,496,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi33547 View Post
Look north of the 101 in North Peoria. Fletcher Heights is a nice, as are the newer north Peoria communities (north of the 101 bend). Schools are highly rated. Arrowhead in Glendale is ok too. Surprise is a pretty area too but much further west.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italy04 View Post

You are getting further and further away from the OP's desired commute time to the airport area. Assuming normal work hours, all these are longer than desired (or necessary) commutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area