Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 11:53 AM

187 posts, read 449,458 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Currently, I live in Manhattan and curious to know what town in NJ is closest to New York City/Manhattan in terms of commute time, yet has good schools? I realize that most towns with truly great schools (Glen Rock, Millburn, etc.) are rather far way from NYC (event the 1st leg of the train or bus ride to Penn Station or Port Authority takes at least 50 min).

That's why I am emphasizing the commute time since I really want for me and my wife to be able to get to Midtown Manhattan within an hour, yet want to make sure my kid can go to a decent kindergarten/pre-school/school (i.e., good teachers, safe, etc.), and I want to live in a nice middle class community. Not sure if this is possible, but wanted to ask the forum regulars.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 12:04 PM

45 posts, read 157,820 times
Bergen county right across the bridge has good schools and affluent communities, but as one of the most expensive counties, the price for housing is high. A lot of the smaller towns, like my hometown of Englewood Cliffs, share public schools, but most in our town including myself attended private schools. Tenafly, Fort Lee, and other public high schools have high college acceptance rates and the local private schools are very competitive with many Ivy acceptances.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:04 PM

240 posts, read 1,264,894 times
fort lee is probably your best option

Old 11-29-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24kgold View Post
Bergen county right across the bridge has good schools and affluent communities, but as one of the most expensive counties, the price for housing is high.
I don't mind buying a condo or a town home, as long as it's within 650K.

What is the closest town in Bergen county to NYC that you would recommend?

The other person suggested Fort Lee. But I heard it is rather hard getting to Midtown Manhattan by bus from Fort Lee and can easily take well over an hour in traffic.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:39 PM

45 posts, read 157,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoNYC View Post

The other person suggested Fort Lee. But I heard it is rather hard getting to Midtown Manhattan by bus from Fort Lee and can easily take well over an hour in traffic.
Mod cut: TOS violationFort Lee is the last stop in NJ so is closest to the city. There are stops for public buses and private vans everywhere.
$650K is fine for a one bedroom in some of the nicest high rises in Fort Lee, Jay-Z and Whitney Houston lived in my mother's, or a 2-3 bedroom in a midrise or townhouse.

Last edited by Viralmd; 11-29-2009 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: NO soliciting, however obtuse, for ANY real estate agent

Old 11-29-2009, 12:43 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,102,333 times
You didn't specify which part of Manhattan. It really does make a difference. Are you looking for uptown around the GW Bridge? That would be Ft. Lee.

If you're looking for midtown, that would be the Lincoln Tunnel and a bunch of other towns; lower Manhattan around the Holland Tunnel would be Hudson County - Jersey City, Bayonne.

Just like Manhattan is big, so is NJ. Each Hudson River crossing has it's own towns on the Jersey side and its own set of problems/issues.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
If you're looking for midtown, that would be the Lincoln Tunnel and a bunch of other towns; lower Manhattan around the Holland Tunnel would be Hudson County - Jersey City, Bayonne.
I am looking for NJ towns closest to Midtown and Downtown Manhattan.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:44 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,104 times
Leonia, Fort Lee, Tenafly, Edgewater.. You'd definitely be able to find something for 650K.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:07 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoNYC View Post

From Fort Lee the best route to midtown is a bus over the GWB and then the subway (A train) to midtown, which usually takes about 40 minutes.

You can also take the ferry, which is a very quick ride, however, getting to and from the ferry terminal can be tortuous.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:17 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,524,003 times
You should check the NJ Transit timetable again for train times from S. Orange, Maplewood, Millburn, Short Hills, Summit, and maybe even out to Chatham--they are all under 50 minutes.

It's called the Midtown direct line.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey