Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 08:55 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
The problem is people either aren't in great condition or they aren't prepared for it. Look at all the High School football players age 13-18 that just started practicing and conditioning 2-3 hours a day in pads and helmets, that is MUCH harder work in the heat than hiking IMO. but they are prepared with fluids and hydrate well before even starting. Life shouldn't stop in the Summer but I think people need to educate themselves and bring an oversupply of water, not just "enough".
As someone who played football, Id disagree. Practice would include sprints, scrimmages, and strength training. While it wasnt easy, there were breaks every few seconds. I mean, you'd sprint out for your play, then walk back. Sprint out for your play, then walk back. Hit up the tires, then walk back and wait in line to go again. I find hiking places like Toms Thumb to be just as tough as any football practice Ive done, and hikes like Flat Iron to be FAR tougher than anything we did on the field. Now, if we're talking flat ground hiking? Thats a different story, and I'd say football training was harder. But Ill say it right now, hiking a tough mountain is MUCH harder than football training, and it lasts a lot longer, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 09:35 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
As someone who played football, Id disagree. Practice would include sprints, scrimmages, and strength training. While it wasnt easy, there were breaks every few seconds. I mean, you'd sprint out for your play, then walk back. Sprint out for your play, then walk back. Hit up the tires, then walk back and wait in line to go again. I find hiking places like Toms Thumb to be just as tough as any football practice Ive done, and hikes like Flat Iron to be FAR tougher than anything we did on the field. Now, if we're talking flat ground hiking? Thats a different story, and I'd say football training was harder. But Ill say it right now, hiking a tough mountain is MUCH harder than football training, and it lasts a lot longer, too.
Yeah, I played football too. Not only are you wearing several pounds of pads and a helmet, you're exerting all of your energy on every snap, and hitting and getting hit and get buried under other people. Luckily I played in Southern California not here (although I saw temps in the mid 90's). This was also a time that coaches thought you were a wimp if you asked for a water break whereas now it is encouraged. Yeah, my midday hiking in 110 degree temps were a breeze compared to that

Old 07-26-2016, 10:01 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,871 times
I saw a navy seal with a baby strapped to his back hiking camelback at noon when it was well over 100

Old 07-26-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I played football too. Not only are you wearing several pounds of pads and a helmet, you're exerting all of your energy on every snap, and hitting and getting hit and get buried under other people. Luckily I played in Southern California not here (although I saw temps in the mid 90's). This was also a time that coaches thought you were a wimp if you asked for a water break whereas now it is encouraged. Yeah, my midday hiking in 110 degree temps were a breeze compared to that
I played in the Midwest, where it could get in the 90s and get humid as funk, too. I still think it was much easier to practice (even easier to play a game) than it is to hike Flat Iron here in hot temps. Flat Iron will smoke you so bad you'll be begging to be back on the football field. Throw in virtually no shade for most of the hike, no water in case of emergency, rattlesnakes and nasty jumping cholla, steep inclines on slippery rock and loose footing, and all of a sudden a football game seems like Disneyland.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:17 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,606,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I saw a navy seal with a baby strapped to his back hiking camelback at noon when it was well over 100
Child abuse plain and simple. Doesn't matter how much in shape the parent is the baby shouldn't be exposed to the heat like that. Anyway, how did you know he was a Navy Seal?

Old 07-27-2016, 05:31 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
You had other people around when you played football.

The only people more stupid than people that hike in high temps are the ones that condone it.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post

The only people more stupid than people that hike in high temps are the ones that condone it.
I don't condone out of shape people doing it, no. I was essentially pointing out that it's actually not that big of a deal if you are in shape and educated about drinking water (and bring enough). Kid looked out of shape and shouldn't have been out there. Same with the kid that dies in the bee attack in Mesa. It's not the place to get in shape, save that for the gym

Old 07-27-2016, 10:35 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
Why does anyone want to hike in the heat anyway?

It's one thing to risk your own life by taking on such a knuckleheaded maneuver but when people put the lives of children in danger that's downright criminal.

The mother and the boyfriend should be arrested and there really should be more of an effort by city officials to close these hiking trails when it gets extremely hot.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Why does anyone want to hike in the heat anyway?

It's one thing to risk your own life by taking on such a knuckleheaded maneuver but when people put the lives of children in danger that's downright criminal.

The mother and the boyfriend should be arrested and there really should be more of an effort by city officials to close these hiking trails when it gets extremely hot.
I did it when I was in college because I had time to kill. I bartended during the evening and had my days free. Great way to get some sun and stay in shape. Haven't done it since then however.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post

And football players die from heatstrokes, too. Are you gonna call the NFL "stupid", too? If people want to hike in the heat, let em! If they die, then so be it. People also die from hypothermia, etc, from skiing, snowmobiling accident, too. Are you against people being outside when its too cold out? If people want to hike in the heat and enjoy nature and experience the Sonoran Desert's extreme environs, theyre not "stupid". Theyre only stupid if theyre willingly unprepared. If people want to hike Mt. Everest to experience the Himalayan extreme environs, let em!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area