Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:47 AM

4 posts, read 25,328 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to the Phoenix area this summer. My husband will be working in the Phoenix zip code of 85021. I don't have a job lined up yet and was wondering what are some of the larger employers with a good reputation in the valley? I have my undergraduate degree in business management and currently work in the Pharmaceutical industry. We were thinking of looking for a home in the Anthem area but I don't have a clue where I would be best off looking for a home. I don't mind commuting, as I currently spend about 45 minutes one way in Chicago traffic....

Old 02-19-2008, 11:25 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,236,463 times
if you are going from anthem to downtown phoenix you could probably close double that 45 minutes one way - especially during the winters

jobs are kind of scattered and i'm not really in that industry - however, if you have your heart set on anthem and your husband can live with the commute than I would probably keep my search towards nothern phoenix, scottsdale, etc ... especially if you have kids, pets, etc

Old 02-19-2008, 11:29 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,173,884 times
Employers are everywhere. Tempe, Downtown Phx, Central Phx, Scottsdale, Mesa, Chandler, Ahwatukee, the list goes on. The best thing you can do is stay more local and not move out so far in a burb.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:15 PM

172 posts, read 252,931 times
Anthem is nice if you are retired or work from home. It's a terrible place to live if you need to commute into Phoenix.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:32 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,164,951 times
I own in Anthem and would also think hard about a daily commute downtown (as much as I love it there). I don't mind the occasional trip downtown (museum, zoo, ball game, etc.), as it's nothing to go down there once/twice month, and I travel for business quite frequently (once/week), and don't mind the trip to/from Sky Harbour, as I usually catch a 7 or 8a flight out and don't normally land until 7 or 8p, so it's not that's bad at those hours either.

That being said, interesting article in today's Arizona Republic about plans to develop mixed-use north of the 101 on I-17, so I suspect we might actually see an influx of new jobs in this corridor, not to mention rising housing prices.

Plans will guide growth for north Phoenix village (broken link)

Old 02-19-2008, 05:40 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,322,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
That being said, interesting article in today's Arizona Republic about plans to develop mixed-use north of the 101 on I-17, so I suspect we might actually see an influx of new jobs in this corridor, not to mention rising housing prices.

Plans will guide growth for north Phoenix village (broken link)
What a genius idea! Let's develop every single square inch of desert valley floor land left around Phoenix, until there isn't any left!

Old 02-19-2008, 05:57 PM
hts

Ummmm...it wasn't my idea. If you don't like it, lobby your politicians. It would be great to keep the current area north of the 101 up to New River as undeveloped. I'm with ya baby.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:15 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,459,462 times
I'm not a fan of sprawl, but having a guided plan for development in the far north portion of the city is far better than having it developed willynilly, which is what would inevitably happen without planning. In addition, the AZ Central article notes that a large swatch of land is actually going into a new voter-approved desert preserve. Again, that's better than what would have happened without city involvement.

On the down side, I am always skeptical of plans to bring jobs out to suburban / exurban locales so that residents will not have to commute as far. That sounds good in theory, but almost never works out in actual practice. First, our economy relies on so many sets of specialized skills and experience that most people can't just take a job conveniently located near home. The job that best matches their needs may be across town in another suburban / exurban village. Second, employers move facilities and staff casually. Sure, someone could start with an employer near Anthem but then find him or herself relocated to an office in Chandler.

For those reasons, it's never a good idea to settle in an outer suburb in the hope that employers will find their way there. Unless working from home is a possibility, living centrally -- or least less remotely than Anthem -- is the best option for one's own sanity as well as the environment. Even if one ends up with a long commute to a job in a suburban office park, it's likely to be a reverse commute against the heavy traffic flow. It would also be great to see more efforts to centralize employment rather than dispersing it. Doing so would encourage more commuting via public transit and help invigorate the city's core.

Last edited by exit2lef; 02-19-2008 at 07:49 PM..

Old 02-19-2008, 06:34 PM
hts

I don't disagree and I'm certainly not suggesting that the OP (or anyone else) buy in Anthem and cross their fingers that they'll find a job sometime in the next 5-10 years north of the 101 as this plan unfolds.

Anthem is a truly wonderful community, unmatched in the entire Valley. When considering it as a place to raise our families (not that singles, seniors, childless couples don't find it attractive, but I think it's fair to say that Anthem's sweet spot is families), we need to determine whether its amenities and small-town benefits are worth the potential commute that one/both parents might have to tolerate.

If good jobs, a biotech (or other vertical) park, etc. develop in the NW Valley as part of this plan, even better, but for now, it's good to know there is a plan and we'll see how it plays out over the next decade or so. It's also great to see large swaths of preserved desert land, and I think it's also fair to say we'll see much more infrastructure/business/shopping/charter schools/entertainment/etc options follow as well, which can only help property values..

In any event, it's all good.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:24 PM

31 posts, read 117,492 times
You will find that traffic is not even close to Chicago rush hour. I know that most people in Chicago find that 45min to an hour commute is not a big deal. Phoenix is a lot like Chicago in terms of housing...the closer you are to the "city" the more expensive it gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbzorc View Post
My husband and I are relocating to the Phoenix area this summer. My husband will be working in the Phoenix zip code of 85021. I don't have a job lined up yet and was wondering what are some of the larger employers with a good reputation in the valley? I have my undergraduate degree in business management and currently work in the Pharmaceutical industry. We were thinking of looking for a home in the Anthem area but I don't have a clue where I would be best off looking for a home. I don't mind commuting, as I currently spend about 45 minutes one way in Chicago traffic....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area