Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,392 times

Advertisements

Hi. I just moved into a rental property at the end of June and the homeowner got a letter yesterday from the HOA stating that the palms need to be trimmed asap. I am responsible for maintaining landscape. Is $80 per palm reasonable? I'm from NY so I know nothing about this. They are really tall..about 2 stories. I think it sounds ok but need 2nd opinion.. Thanx!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 09:52 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,678,521 times
I've paid between $40-$80 per palm before, it isn't so much the height that makes the cost difference, it's the guy doing the work. If you've got more than one I wouldn't be afraid to haggle a little. If you're paying $80, you should expect the trimmer to take all the fronds, not stuff your trash bin.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:54 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,636,523 times
That's garbage that you have to pay to have them trimmed, especially since you just moved in. I'd argue that 15+ foot trees don't fall within landscaping. That's grass, rocks and plants. Does your lease specifically call out the trees?

Old 07-28-2016, 10:05 PM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
$40-75.00 is generally the norm depending how big/tall the trees are. That cost is for trimming and hauling off the debris and cleaning any mess they make. Part of that cost goes to paying the dump to dump the trash.
Make sure they're insured for liability in case someone falls from a tree and gets seriously hurt.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:25 PM

194 posts, read 291,757 times
We just moved out of a rental where we had to take care of the landscaping. While we did have to do the palms I agree with DetroitN8V-that's pretty harsh for you to have to do 1 month after you move in. Obviously if they need done that bad they have needed trimmed for awhile!!!!!!!

Old 07-28-2016, 11:34 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,451 times
That cost is so low considering the workload. I can't believe how hard they work to barely come out ahead at all.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:15 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
That cost is so low considering the workload. I can't believe how hard they work to barely come out ahead at all.

True. Ask the trimmer who died the other day when he fell on his head. It's hot, dangerous work.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:42 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,678,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italy04 View Post
We just moved out of a rental where we had to take care of the landscaping. While we did have to do the palms I agree with DetroitN8V-that's pretty harsh for you to have to do 1 month after you move in. Obviously if they need done that bad they have needed trimmed for awhile!!!!!!!
+1 -

personally, I'd expect the landlord to take care of this because if nothing else the previous tenant didn't. As a landlord, I've always taken care of the palms myself, although "taking care of them" now often means hiring a licensed tree guy to chop them down & grind the stump. Even well-trimmed palms throw debris all year round & the cost (and risk) of hiring people to trim them outweighs any aesthetics they provide.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:23 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,706,879 times
That sounds over-priced, but the cost is often dependent on the size of the job. The bigger the job, the lower the per-tree price gets. Contact that HOA, and tell them that you're complying as quickly as possible but you'd appreciate it if they could give you a few names for estimates. If they have a guy they use every year, he might cut you a better deal.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:12 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,366,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
I've paid between $40-$80 per palm before, it isn't so much the height that makes the cost difference, it's the guy doing the work. If you've got more than one I wouldn't be afraid to haggle a little. If you're paying $80, you should expect the trimmer to take all the fronds, not stuff your trash bin.
For the OP, I think the landlord should pay for it, but ultimately unless landscaping is covered in the contract, they may say it's your problem/expense.

Important point, particularly if you have a lot of palm trees, is whether they are going to haul away the fronds and bark debris or not. Because if you have a lot of trees, it may be more than your city's bulk trash program will collect in one go -- or, if they will collect it, you have to store it until it's collection time, then haul it all out there, and properly organize it so they will collect it. This can be a huge hassle, particularly if you have a lot of palm trees.

So, definitely be sure you discuss who's dealing with the debris before you agree to any price. It's worth it to pay for the trimmer to deal with the disposal because in my experience they are going to give you a better price than anyone else you could call.

I have observed that the tree trimmer spends more time cleaning up all the debris, hauling it over to the curb or his truck, loading it up, driving to the dump, etc., than he does actually going up the tree, trimming it and coming down. Tree trimming is hard work and dealing with the debris can be a huge project as well.

I love palm trees, but they are an expensive landscaping feature, that's for sure, and it's a recurring cost. Every. Single. Year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: