Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 04:16 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,438,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
There's so many problems with public education. Nothing the o.p. is complaining about is exclusive to Kyrene district. Even if it's all true. This thread is off the rails. Nothing of genuine merit here.

Exactly. And for support, she's quoting more anonymous posts on some other forums. Excuse me, but anyone with an axe to grind (real or not) can post anything anywhere, including here.

Parents with special needs children need to be good advocates for their children in ANY school district, and do their "homework" when moving into ANY new area. There's just a lot of "stuff" getting thrown around in this thread. Agree with Bondurant. Whatever point the OP wanted to make has been made. Nothing more to see here except running up her post count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 04:28 PM

394 posts, read 343,321 times
Samsara, I don't have an opinion either way - but after having read the thread I feel you've made your case and your opinion has been stated... Those that can benefit from it will... But it seems that you won't accept others' point of view - the way you expect them to accept yours.

I understand you are frustrated - and even though you continued to insist your posts are an attempt to warn others, it seems it goes farther than that it's it's more of a way for you to vent... And that's okay too.

Might I suggest letting your points be read and others can agree or disagree... All things are never the same for all people... We find our happiness by accepting what's available and making it work for ourselves - what works for you may not be the same as for others and I think that's what's being expressed here.

Your point is clear - your experience has been documented... Reiterating kinda negates your intended purpose - it seems.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I would not immediately dismiss the OP's statements because they are negative. I sense he or she is telling the truth. That being said, I feel this applies to public schools in general these days. At public and charter schools, parents have little if any say in how things are run. When you complain or report problems, they are largely ignored. In fact, it can be the opposite. You can be branded as an outspoken parent and a trouble maker. And then your child may suffer as a result.

At private schools, parents are respected because they pay tuition. If you don't like something or have an issue with a matter, your request is taken seriously. For this reason, many parents are pulling their children out of public schools and enrolling them in private schools. If your children are not enrolled in a private school, I recommend you reconsider. The experience is vastly different. At my children's school, the teachers are deferent and care about parental input. At my son's former public school, the teachers walked around with a chip on their shoulder and acted like they didn't have time for you. It's the difference between flying first class and coach. I don't know why anyone with the resources to send their child to a private school would send them to a public school. And private schools are not the same. They vary in tuition, demographics etc. I would say most are not full of wealthy families and have pretty reasonable tuition.
Most relevant post in the thread.

this is sound information and great advise.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:38 PM

35 posts, read 42,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Exactly. And for support, she's quoting more anonymous posts on some other forums. Excuse me, but anyone with an axe to grind (real or not) can post anything anywhere, including here.

Parents with special needs children need to be good advocates for their children in ANY school district, and do their "homework" when moving into ANY new area. There's just a lot of "stuff" getting thrown around in this thread. Agree with Bondurant. Whatever point the OP wanted to make has been made. Nothing more to see here except running up her post count.
Sorry you don't like it, but I can't help wondering why you're so bothered by someone else's opinion of their experience.

I could post email chains of interactions with specific people, but I'm pretty sure that's against the terms and conditions...not to mention a really bad idea in general. So, I've kept to what exists in the public domain.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
Samsara, I don't have an opinion either way - but after having read the thread I feel you've made your case and your opinion has been stated... Those that can benefit from it will... But it seems that you won't accept others' point of view - the way you expect them to accept yours.

I understand you are frustrated - and even though you continued to insist your posts are an attempt to warn others, it seems it goes farther than that it's it's more of a way for you to vent... And that's okay too.

Might I suggest letting your points be read and others can agree or disagree... All things are never the same for all people... We find our happiness by accepting what's available and making it work for ourselves - what works for you may not be the same as for others and I think that's what's being expressed here.

Your point is clear - your experience has been documented... Reiterating kinda negates your intended purpose - it seems.
I just don't understand advocating for such a lousy system.

The posts that essentially say "so what" and not to complain... well, I'll be honest, I don't think that's good.

The Kyrene system claims to be better with higher standards. That's PR not reality. More people need to air grievances about this to force change -- especially with an unresponsive district office.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:56 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,609,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I would not immediately dismiss the OP's statements because they are negative. I sense he or she is telling the truth. That being said, I feel this applies to public schools in general these days. At public and charter schools, parents have little if any say in how things are run. When you complain or report problems, they are largely ignored. In fact, it can be the opposite. You can be branded as an outspoken parent and a trouble maker. And then your child may suffer as a result.

At private schools, parents are respected because they pay tuition. If you don't like something or have an issue with a matter, your request is taken seriously. For this reason, many parents are pulling their children out of public schools and enrolling them in private schools. If your children are not enrolled in a private school, I recommend you reconsider. The experience is vastly different. At my children's school, the teachers are deferent and care about parental input. At my son's former public school, the teachers walked around with a chip on their shoulder and acted like they didn't have time for you. It's the difference between flying first class and coach. I don't know why anyone with the resources to send their child to a private school would send them to a public school. And private schools are not the same. They vary in tuition, demographics etc. I would say most are not full of wealthy families and have pretty reasonable tuition.
You post is pretty spot on but you assign the blame to the teachers when they have no control or input on district policy. As a former teacher and administrator I can tell you first hand that many districts will look for a reason to get rid of low performing students (regardless of an IEP). Once a student is gone it is extremely hard for that student to get accepted back into the district, even with their home school (this has been my experience with high school level).

Several of the high performing public charter schools (Basis for example) will simply not take very many IEP or ELL students because by doing so they will hurt their grade (They do take a few token high functioning IEP/ELL students - the state census #'s don't lie so I don't want to hear that they take these students).

Old 07-30-2016, 05:04 PM

I don't see how a district can fail to accept someone back into the district if that person lives within a school's boundaries--barring some really disruptive behavior on the part of the students.

But, yes, all across the board, students are obviously less valuable than test scores and parent $$$.

Teachers and parents who blithely accept that really make my inner child want to vomit. The ones who create it in government and school administration? I hope they roast over hot karmic coals.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsara19 View Post

The posts that essentially say "so what" and not to complain... well, I'll be honest, I don't think that's good.

The Kyrene system claims to be better with higher standards. That's PR not reality. More people need to air grievances about this to force change -- especially with an unresponsive district office.
What I was trying to relay is - your message might be better received if it were simply a note of warning (and kept at that)... But it seems to be more than that - with your continuance... So it comes across more as a disgruntled rant (for lack of better term) - which you previously indicated wasn't your intent.... It kinda loses your intended purpose.

Just my observation - FWIW.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:01 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,965,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsara19 View Post

It just doesn't seem that other posters share your particular experience.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
It just doesn't seem that other posters share your particular experience.
Or don't care because they're not in that system or tacitly agree that there's nothing wrong with stacked decks. Squeaky wheels, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area