Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 10:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,003,525 times

Advertisements

Most of the residents of SCW won't hold your political views against you as long as you don't shove them in people's faces. I don't think I've heard much of any political discussion yet but we've only been here a short while. I know I've not met anyone yet who's asked what our politics are, mostly it's about what clubs are you in and what are you doing today or tomorrow.

One thing that did happen fairly recently was a rule that came down that no music earlier than the '70's will be played on the pools/Rec centers music systems.

So, no more 1930's,40's,50's big band,swing,tiny bubbles, etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 11:21 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,020,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Most of the residents of SCW won't hold your political views against you as long as you don't shove them in people's faces. I don't think I've heard much of any political discussion yet but we've only been here a short while. I know I've not met anyone yet who's asked what our politics are, mostly it's about what clubs are you in and what are you doing today or tomorrow.

One thing that did happen fairly recently was a rule that came down that no music earlier than the '70's will be played on the pools/Rec centers music systems.

It's crazy to think those 80's heavy metal musicians are all 55+ now. I wish George Lynch (Dokken) or Tom Araya (Slayer) would move to my street in Sun City.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:35 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,724,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShariP View Post
For me and my husband, this is a very valid post and I'm glad to have everyone's input. We have our house on the market and really want to move to Sun City West because #1--it's more affordable than where we live now so we will be able to retire, and #2--we want to join the golf club, cycling club, tennis club, volunteering, etc. We like SCW mainly because of all the activities compared to the newer communities. We are younger than the average resident (we are 56 & 58) and are active Democrats & liberal. We are a bit worried we will not "fit in." We visited SCW last November and liked the few people we met, but with one visit you are not really getting to know the place and people very well. We plan to rent for a year before we purchase to see how things go.

You should try Sun City Grand. That way you won't feel guilty for not paying school taxes.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,003,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
You should try Sun City Grand. That way you won't feel guilty for not paying school taxes.
Naw. all anyone has to do is buy or claim to have bought in the part of SCW that does pay school taxes...

See, there's something for everyone!

Old 07-29-2018, 09:25 AM

23 posts, read 334,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
You've answered my concern with your little jab. You can have a nice conversation with someone about ordinary things and then the person gives you a jab that you just have to ignore.

I really should have changed my list of priorities to #1--the number of clubs (in a very large community) and #2--cost of housing. We could stay in California, which we love (yes, we LOVE it here) but none of the 55+ communities compare to SW and SCW for the large number of clubs/activities.

That's hilarious about the music decision at the rec centers but I love it!!

Old 07-29-2018, 03:37 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,609,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

Actually, since most of the people which live in these communities are Baby Boomers, they usually play music from the dawn of American rock & roll (mid-50s... Elvis Presley, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Ray Charles, Everly Brothers, Chuck Berry, etc).

Old 07-29-2018, 04:01 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,217,430 times
I can see Boston, Fleetwood Mac, Kansas, Pat Benatar, Bachman Turner Overdrive, etc, making an appearance

Old 07-29-2018, 04:51 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,630,948 times
...I thought the silent generation listened to mostly music from the 1950s and early 60s? Most boomers I know like late 60s and 70s music.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:02 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,724,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShariP View Post
You've answered my concern with your little jab. You can have a nice conversation with someone about ordinary things and then the person gives you a jab that you just have to ignore.

I really should have changed my list of priorities to #1--the number of clubs (in a very large community) and #2--cost of housing. We could stay in California, which we love (yes, we LOVE it here) but none of the 55+ communities compare to SW and SCW for the large number of clubs/activities.

That's hilarious about the music decision at the rec centers but I love it!!

I was part joking part serious. Earlier this year there was a CD thread on education spending with over 600 posts and SC and SCW were specifically called out for not paying taxes that go toward education (property taxes that go to a school district).

I just figured as a self described CA liberal democrat, you would want to pay as much as everyone else. No need to take it personally.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:45 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,609,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
...I thought the silent generation listened to mostly music from the 1950s and early 60s? Most boomers I know like late 60s and 70s music.
The Six Living Generations In America

The "Silent Generation" ended in 1945 (just after WWII), and that group mainly listened to the Big Band/Swing/Bing Crosby/Frank Sinatra stuff. They may have taken a liking to later rock music. Sure, why not?

However, what I was indicating is that Baby Boomers (1946 thru 1964) grew up with early American rock & roll which began officially around the mid fifties (1955) with Elvis Presley and many others. It's also correct that when the British Invasion hit in 1964 they began listening to a different music well into the 60s and 70s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area