Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 12:48 PM

7 posts, read 4,964 times

Advertisements

Thank for this breakdown, this really helps me compare and contrast!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 04:19 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,752,248 times
If you're tired of Dallas and you need a change I say come on over! I know what it feels like to live someplace you don't want to be...life is too short for that. If you have a job already lined up and it's just you my next question is...what are you waiting for?��

Old 08-09-2016, 05:41 PM

594 posts, read 701,832 times
Default Hurry man hurry !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocker_dad65 View Post
Thank for this breakdown, this really helps me compare ast!!
And when you come to our beautiful state, please update the City-Data faithful on the senseless negative portrayals of our great state.
You are going to love it here. I'm from San Diego and absolutely love California.......until I moved here. Warm , friendly women, things to do, you're going to wonder why you didn't make the move sooner

Old 08-11-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
If you're tired of Dallas and you need a change I say come on over! I know what it feels like to live someplace you don't want to be...life is too short for that. If you have a job already lined up and it's just you my next question is...what are you waiting for?��
You are correct! I just might do it soon!

Old 08-11-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
And when you come to our beautiful state, please update the City-Data faithful on the senseless negative portrayals of our great state.
You are going to love it here. I'm from San Diego and absolutely love California.......until I moved here. Warm , friendly women, things to do, you're going to wonder why you didn't make the move sooner
Awesome, that makes me feel a lot better, as the naysayers were so negative, so it is good to hear!

Old 08-12-2016, 08:18 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,645,206 times
FWIW, my recent comparisons between Dallas and Phoenix show PHX to have cheaper rents and overall cost of living (for a single who rents that is). I personally think the roads and traffic are better in PHX as well. I moved from Dallas back in 2000, and I couldn't believe the changes when I visited a couple of months ago. OMG. They were not positive changes, either. Even at midnight and 1 a.m. the traffic sucked in Dallas. It came off my relo list as soon as I got back home.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:48 PM

394 posts, read 344,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
I agree... I'm from Socal too - just closed escrow today... Everyone I've met is super friendly and almost all from somewhere else - none have said they regret it (in fact most say it was the best decision ever, and so far I concur).

I think those that poo poo Phx just don't want too many moving in to muck it all up - deep inside they love it and don't want it ruined - I can't blame them... So we all need to do our part not to let it get ruined.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:52 PM

Just got off the phone with a Realtor originally from Texas his whole life, who has been in PHX for 6 years and did a great job helping me to understand the similarities and differences. The more I hear the more I like what I hear. Thanks!!

Old 08-14-2016, 05:10 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,327,140 times
Quote:
I have lived in Dallas since 1994. Living here, although it has had it's good moments every now and then, has been a hellish experience for the most part, and I cannot wait to leave. I do not mind the hot weather as long as I do not have to work out in it. Dallas area has over 6 million people in it and is growing exponentially - Phoenix is about 1.5 million I believe, so sounds like kind of a small big city to me.
As I believe somebody else pointed out, the CITY of Phoenix is 1.5 million, but the metro area is over 4.5 million. The city of Dallas is slightly smaller than Phoenix, but the Dallas metro area is larger, mainly because it's a metroplex of two large cities (Dallas & Fort Worth) along with all the suburbs that surround both cities. Phoenix will seem a little smaller compared to the Dallas area, but it's no small city by any means!

Quote:
Dallas traffic and population density is so bad, you can hardly drive anywhere without major traffic being an issue at most times except late at night (After 11:00pm). Also, every road and freeway is either in pre-construction or major over-haul without an end in sight. In the 22 years I have been here, I have gone through two divorces, crooked corporations, layoffs, and have never really found a good groove where I like living here very much at all. The job market is picking up, but is still flat and very few quality jobs to be found.
Phoenix's traffic is bad during rush hour (and sometimes prior to rush hour on some freeways), but it's pretty free flowing after about 7 PM. You won't have those late night backups, except during major events or when there are serious accidents. I'm really surprised to hear about the Dallas job market being flat. I've heard the Texas cities have thriving economies & competitive job markets while being relatively affordable. With that said, Phoenix has a thriving job market and is relatively affordable, but it really depends on what you're looking for regarding "quality jobs". As a metro area, Phoenix has a lot of catching up to do as far as being more nationally & globally competitive on jobs, but we are making progress.

Quote:
Why is there so many people that hate Phoenix/Scottsdale/Tempe area so much?? It is giving me cold feet a little. I so want out of Dallas and have never had much good happen to me here. So, I am hoping that I can get an objective view of life in the area compared to Dallas. Are there good reasons I shouldn't relocate when I am so done with Dallas?
Where do you get the idea there is so much hate for Phoenix? I haven't noticed a lot of hate or contempt for the area in general ... in fact, there's probably more positive attitudes about Phoenix than negative. In my experience, the main thing that people gripe about the most here is the summer heat. I know Dallas doesn't have the best weather on earth, and your summers can be very hot & humid, but Phoenix's heat is intense for at least four straight months with very few breaks in between. The good part about that is Phoenix's location is a relatively short distance to cooler summer locations, such as Arizona's high country, coastal CA, Colorado, etc. There are people like myself who travel to those cooler destinations frequently during the summer to escape the blistering heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area