Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 11:20 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,997,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The dolphins will not be in a "perfectly controlled environment", but in open tanks, subject to pollutants from the nearby freeway, Valley Fever spores from dust storms, the unrelenting sun, and the stresses of confinement (and other less than optimal conditions). I find this whole development to be contrary from the trend in this industry moving away from confining these marine mammals. But, it's on an Indian reservation, where they can do pretty much what they want.
I was talking about the sharks, but dolphins being subjected to this is no different than SeaWorld or any other zoo across the world. The dolphins always exhibit happiness wherever I see them perform, nor do they look the least bit stressed or sick. The people that perform with these dolphins care more for them than they do their own family members. Its not like theyre performing for Billy Joe Bob at the local carnival.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:57 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,327,140 times
I don't see what the big deal is. There's obviously a demand for Sea World styled entertainment without having to travel to CA or FL. I remember seeing all the protests over Odysea on the news footage a few months back. They reminded me of the NIMBYs who raise a fuss over practically every development. They don't think theme parks of any kind belong in "the desert", and now they don't want dolphins in "the desert". They have a right to express their views, but my guess is they must not have anything better to do with their time.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:02 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,706,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I don't see what the big deal is. There's obviously a demand for Sea World styled entertainment without having to travel to CA or FL. I remember seeing all the protests over Odysea on the news footage a few months back. They reminded me of the NIMBYs who raise a fuss over practically every development. They don't think theme parks of any kind belong in "the desert", and now they don't want dolphins in "the desert". They have a right to express their views, but my guess is they must not have anything better to do with their time.
Or they simply find the time to defend those that cannot defend themselves. I'd wager that the protesters tend to be more highly educated than the people that attend such places.

Also, I don't think SeaWorld has the demand that you think it does. Regardless, demand or not doesn't make it right.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:14 PM

7,838 posts, read 4,593,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I was talking about the sharks, but dolphins being subjected to this is no different than SeaWorld or any other zoo across the world. The dolphins always exhibit happiness wherever I see them perform, nor do they look the least bit stressed or sick. The people that perform with these dolphins care more for them than they do their own family members. Its not like theyre performing for Billy Joe Bob at the local carnival.
I must have missed "dolphin whisperer" on your resume. Tell us more Dr. Dolittle.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:45 PM

2,450 posts, read 2,616,408 times
Will non-residents put these attractions towards the top of their "must see" list in Arizona? I would never think of looking for aquatic life in the desert. I don't see what the draw would be.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:49 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,309,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Will non-residents put these attractions towards the top of their "must see" list in Arizona? I would never think of looking for aquatic life in the desert. I don't see what the draw would be.
No, and honestly I probably will never go either. Sea World is maybe a 2 times in a lifetime thing for me, and as far as Aquariums I really prefer the Birch Aquarium at UCSD in La Jolla for the educational aspect for the kids (they have sharks there as well). I think of this as an attraction for locals that aren't as fortunate as my family and maybe for school field trips.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:49 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,274,641 times
There are 5m residents here, they will not be solely dependent on the tourist trade

Not to mention I think most people are smart enough to understand things like enclosed exhibits and air conditioning. While not a destination attraction they can definitely draw on tourists who are here for other reasons who may not have the same attraction at home.

The aquarium at the wildlife zoo had been there for a bit now and continues to expand and isn't exactly in an area with a concentration of tourists

Old 08-15-2016, 01:50 PM

7,838 posts, read 4,593,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
I'm guessing they're counting on making their money on visiting 'golf widows/families'.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:53 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,309,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
There are 5m residents here, they will not be solely dependent on the tourist trade

Not to mention I think most people are smart enough to understand things like enclosed exhibits and air conditioning. While not a destination attraction they can definitely draw on tourists who are here for other reasons who may not have the same attraction at home.

The aquarium at the wildlife zoo had been there for a bit now and continues to expand and isn't exactly in an area with a concentration of tourists
There's an aquarium at Arizona Mills too, another place I haven't been

Old 08-15-2016, 03:06 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,350,055 times
Really excited for this. I think this the first step to making that area like Arlington, TX (Dallas area) where a lot of amusement parks and others focus in on one part of the city and form an entertainment district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area